Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.2.17 (Read 25 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday's workouts:

Dave (4 TM miles at the gym with phone run off)

Stumpy (3.1 morning round-the-lake miles in 50°Wink

RunnerKSA (2.8 morning TM miles, staying away from Harvey)

Rochrunner (4 miles in l/s shirt with temps just over 50)

Tramps (19 cloudy, bluster bike miles)

Evanflein (5 easy afternoon miles)

Tet (5 sunny miles)

Twocat (4 gorgeous afternoon walking miles with DW)

Tomwhite (15 min Xbike standing + 40 min poolrunning, belted)

Holly (3 blustery morning miles in 57° + 30 min weights)

Catwhoorg (7 TM miles)

Mike (scheduled for 10 miles, did 11)

Mariposai (9 Twocat miles)

Lots of good commentary yesterday, but I've got, got, got no time to comment on the commentary.

Some of our guests arrived in time for a late dinner last night. We had mixed sausage and shrimp paella, and chocolate Cointreau cake with vanilla ice cream.

I slept in a little late this morning, and then went 7.7 quick RW miles in breezy 46° temps - like Rochrunner, I had on a l/s shirt. Now I have to get folks up 'cause we're going to our favorite dive for breakfast.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay........

=========

50-min PoolRun with Ski-Belt, cf, paw, ris

...........Wishing you all  a Safe Weekend

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

7.52 miles this morning. It was a real struggle today. Felt more like 20.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, everybody!

I went 5 miles before practice then 5 more with the kids.

Okay--that's all I got--see ya!

12.1 miles with a group- well, I was mainly by myself after 5 miles with 2 women who then turned around to do 10 total.  The rain stopped just in time and it was 59 degrees with a cloud cover. Really pretty route, and I did well.  I didn't sleep well at all and we started at 6 am, so I'll be needing a nap.  My daughter did 15.3 (2 1/2 hours) on the same route (well, she had to go out more).    Done!  She and I went out to breakfast afterwards.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E I have been meaning to second what catwhoorg said about the doctor telling me (or rather my DW) that he thinks all of the cancer cells are eradicated. No doctor in his right mind would tell you they are gone for sure. The truth is they never know. A random cell could have gone who knows where. As to yesterday it sounds like the kids had a blast!

A quick aside about testing "just to make sure." It is often counterproductive. If it is just a cancer cell or two or some other very, very early stage problem you are unlikely to see it on a scan. Worse, you run the very real risk of a false positive result. People ignore the problem, but it is actually quite significant. In the mid 2000's they started offering "executive fully body scans" to look for early signs of cancer, clogged arteries, etc. You may not remember the airwaves being saturated with those ads because they stopped after a couple of years. Why? False positives. Tons of them. Seeing something on the scan everyone felt they "had" to see for sure what was there. That often required surgery or some other invasive procedure. Those on occasion went very wrong. Net-net the scans killed more people than they saved. I see these full body scans are starting to make a comeback. Maybe the technology has improved enough that the false positive danger is now small enough for the test to be a net benefit. I would personally wait to see what the data on that looks like in a year to two before even thinking of getting one.

tomwhite on the plus side if Pickles is in Ireland you are not out shopping with her!

Holly S. now that I think of it I have not gone swimming once this year. When does your pool reopen?

catwhoorg ear infection are really painful. Poor kid. I hope the ear drops (I am assuming that is what he got) clear it up fast.

coastwalker your dinner sounds wonderful! Sigh . . .

Dave59 if a run feels like 20 maybe you can count it in as a 20 mile marathon training cycle run!

RunnerKSA nice morning I see.

Post continued from yesterday:

what to do, what to do? I know! Go 4 miles. So that is what I did for my first post surgery run, I ran 4 miles. It felt fine. But I must admit my tongue feels odd during the run. Hard to describe, but it would be better if it did not feel the way it does. Big surprise there, eh? Well, better is still better so I am happy with it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I'm glad you got the run in.  I can imagine how strange the tongue must feel!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

2cat- glad you were able to get out there despite the tongue issue. You should feel better in coming days.

I, also, have not swim this summer-put my Y membership on hold for last2 months since we've been traveling a fair amount and we have' been to the beach much.

Another touch of early fall here today before tommorow's rain. We took our bikes to a rail trail and did a short ride-very crowded with cyclists, runners, walkers, etc. We could have gone further but I felt tired at the halfway point. (Dave, I know how you felt- the ride seemed much longer than it was). On the way home we stopped at a farmer's market for many goodies including hot cider donuts (I rarely indulge😇-but they were hard to resist)

''tomwhite on the plus side if Pickles is in Ireland you are not out shopping with her! ''

.............True Dat//.........My theory is, if you get stuck at a mall holding her purse one time too many, eventually you just Snap

additionally-

I can never think of a time

I ever

asked her to hold my wallet while I was shopping

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite -

Twocat - The pool opens again on 9/5, so not too long to wait.

Cool and off and on rainy today.  Got in 4.3 miles during a semi-dry spell.

Then spent several hours running errands, including ordering a new pair of no-line bifocals.  Ouch!  Even at a discount glasses store it still set me back $316.  Since I mostly wear contacts (bifocals as well) except for when I first get up and in the evening, I kept putting off updating my glasses.  This pair is slightly larger than my current pair, so the bifocal part will be a little bigger.  I hope I don't hate them.

DS's GF's birthday was yesterday, so for her gift I said we would pay for them to have dinner at the Blue Note Bistro - a really classy little jazz club/restaurant located in the quaint downtown area of our little town.  I made up a gift certificate that said "Good for a Romantic Dinner at the Blue Note Bistro with a Super Hot Guy" and put it in her birthday card.  They are getting all spiffed up and going tonight.

Went to the RedBox and got Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for DH and I to watch tonight.  I hope to get in a good LR in the morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

An easy 5 miles around the park this morning. That makes 3 runs this week for 15 miles total. No PF problems, I'll keep it nice & easy while slowly increasing weekly mileage in September.

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

all's well with 2C running again and jay making up

for getting up late with 7.7 miles before

more guests without a second thought.

However, what's this with pool? <<<(chlorine/chlorine)>>>>?

Doesn't anyone swim in the lakes in the summer anymore?

Unless this sunny streak that started on June 17 stretches

into October, next week'll be the last good full moon swim

of the summer. Try it, you'll like it, even if just splashing

around as I usually do when I pretend I'm swimming.

After three fivers in a row, today is blackberry day.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

9 for me doing loops round the 'hood.

Did 5 pull ups each time I passed the playground, which was 7 times

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

9 for me doing loops round the 'hood.

Did 5 pull ups each time I passed the playground, which was 7 times

that would have meant 7 pull ups for me (if I was lucky)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

spacityrunner

3 around the hood in the late afternoon heat and humidity.

Trails Rock!