Masters Running

Friday Again- August 11 (Read 31 times)

Starting us off.    2.1 easy miles before walking the dogs and heading to work.  School buses abound once again.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, RunnerKSA. Wow - school buses already?

Thursday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (5.1 miles, including 2 post-work TM miies)

RCG (4.75 walking miles at stroller pace)

Catwhoorg (5+ miles)

Tomwhite (40 min Poolrun with letters + 15 min Xbike +10 min cane walking for a TW tri)

BTY (6 warm lunchtime miles, with good pacing average)

Tet (5 berry-picking, picture-taking miles in 85° temps)

Marj & Henrun (7-10 Icelandic walking miles)

Mike (7.3 post-rain miles)

Holly (10.2 morning miles in 60-62° temps)

Twocat (16 miles, including 8 with the TP)

Spacityrunner (4.1 post-rain greenway miles)

Stumpy (post-work corporate 5K race in 85° in under 30 [29:45] with good age-grading)

Good luck to your daughter in the tri nationals, RunnerKSA. And i hope she and DH travel well together.

Good babysitting cross-training, RCG.

So sorry about the fires and smoke, Tammy, Mariposai, and Tet. I hope it all gets resolved soon.

A half-day meeting would try anyone's patience, Cat.

I've never just happened upon a Snickers either, Fatozzig. And I know nothing about No. 7.

Nice pacing for your 6er, BTY.

I agree with Holly, Marj - post pics anyway!

I'm so sorry about your upcoming surgery, Twocat, but this too shall pass. I hope it goes well, and that they can give you some effective pain-killers.

Good racing in warm weather at the corporate challenge, Stumpy. Gotta like that age-grading.

We learned that our favorite breakfast dive is on the market. After 25 years, the owners have had enough. For their sake, we hope they sell soon. Selfishly, we hope they don't.

What do you do about an in-ground wasp nest? It is in the lawn, and I'm just lucky I didn't get stung the last time I mowed (which was when I found the next). I don't want to take that chance again.

I went 6.4 RW miles at J o'clock in 66° temps, and under clear skies and a near-fool moon. I started easy, and then negatively-split every miles except one, and finished up at a good pace.

Good luck to this weekend's racer:

08/12 rochrunner -  Selfridge Air National Guard Base 100th Anniversary 5K

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

buy one of the wasp sprays, wait until dark, and blast them.  May take a couple of nights if thier hole is small.  worked for me on several occasions.  No stings.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

tiny bit of reprieve last night. Actually had thunder and a bit of rain. Came down hard but only for about 10 minutes, but still better than nothing and the air did smell clean. and it was nice and cool this morning so we could open up windows for first time in about a week. Of course, it'll get back to upper 90's today, but for now, enjoying the cool air.  

Ran a 5k on the TM last night. nothing exciting. 

No running today or tomorrow. So need to get in a long run Sunday. Tomorrow is an all day kitten adoption event with the non-profit I'm involved in. Plus, in the morning before that, I'm recording David playing tennis with coach per the request of a tennis coach at one of the University's we visited. 

Sorry to hear of the surgery TwoCat. I hope it goes well, with minimal discomfort. or as little discomfort as you can have with that type of surgery. 

Tammy

Tramps

What Stumpy said.  Wait until dark is key.  You might even cover the hole after you spray.  In the old days, they'd pour gasoline in there and light it up. Wouldn't be my first choice now.

Jay--hey you're already up early, why not buy the breakfast dive?

2cat--Oy!  That sounds very unpleasant.  Hang in there.

Tramps, clear 95 South for me, k?

Sorry. Moses himself couldn't part the congestion on that road.   (Hey, I may be in your neck of the woods one weekend this Fall....with a bike...near the Capital Trail. Maybe a chance to meet up? Stay tuned.)

20 on the bike.  One of the unexpected treats of cycling is riding with the animals. Deer and rabbit bound alongside me so often that I don't even bother reporting it anymore. Today, though, it was a special treat: a heron took off and flew about 8 feet off the ground, following the center of the narrow  road, going at exactly my speed (the trees overhang the road here so it forms a green tunnel), landing a little while later in a field,  I bet we "flew" together for nearly 30 seconds. It felt like I could almost reach out and touch it. Very cool.

ETA: Nobody bothered to tell me they were making a biographical film about me.  Daring choice to put a woman in the lead role. (No, I haven't seen it.)

Be safe. Be kind.

^^ I would love that!  I get excited about deer and bunnies when I'm running!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

In the old days, they'd pour gasoline in there and light it up.

Hey!  Who you calling old?   

ETA: Nobody bothered to tell me they were making a biographical film about me.  Daring choice to put a woman in the lead role. (No, I haven't seen it.)

And I thought the same thing as Tramps about Jay and the diner.

And so very cool about the heron!

45 min of core upper ST this a.m.  I do miss physical activity that makes me sweat and happily exhausted.  *sigh*  Am working to get an appt with my MAT guy to see if he can be of any help.  At this point, I'm willing to pull out all the stops.

Two things of great significance happened to The Hub yesterday:

The first is his sponsor died unexpectedly.  Of course it hasn't sunk in, but I think he'll be okay.  Prayers and positive thoughts for the The Hub would be appreciated.

Then last night he went to a fundraiser for the local community college athletics dept and got to see a mentor of his from many years ago. This is the man who, a few months after Shorty got out of jail, called him and talked to him about his progress in turning his life around, then out of the blue about a week later he gifted us with $1,000, which was very badly needed.  Tom is an incredible human being and was probably one of THE biggest male influences in The Hub's life.  At one point Tom's son and Shorty were talking and the son told Shorty that Tom was really proud of him.  I can't explain how much that means to him.  The Hub doesn't tear up easily, but he was pretty teary-eyed when he told me that last night.

So yesterday was an emotional swing from one end of the spectrum to the other.  Poor guy.

Okay, kids.  Go out there and attack Friday and the weekend like you really mean it!  

Later ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Twocat.  I agree with the surgeon re: your recovery time frame.  I am sad you have to go through this and I pray for your comfort and 100% recovery.

One question, though. WIll you have post-op PT with tongue surgery?

We finally received rain in our parched swamp!  It has been dry here and our dogwoods' leaves are curling up and turning brown.

Now I hope the Pacific NW will also get some rain!  Who ever thought one would wish rain on that region?

Yesterday, Dear GS and I got a little over 2 miles at noon. We went one of our other routes and took the umbrella stroller rather than the jogger. The jogger is much nicer but, so wide on the narrow sidewalks of Alexandria. As for photos of the dear boy, we all agreed to refrain from posting many as to allow him to develop his own personality.  I have posted an occasional picture but, we really try to resist the urge to overshare. Thank you, though, for asking about photos. IRL, you may not want to ask me to see a photo... I have way too many on my phone!

Tramps. Gmail me when you have your plans for the Capitol Trail. Wouldn't it be great if others here could join us on a 50 miles bike ride from Jamestown to Richmond?  Also. 95 is always a pain around Stafford/Fredericksburg, I wonder if it is because all of us forking over the big bucks to travel in the HOV lanes out of DC have to re-enter the riff raff lanes in that area?

OKay. Since I am home sans GS. I will have to take King Leonidas for a walk in the swamp. The rs and Blaine don't find the time to walk the poor dog while Baba is in NoVa.

Oh. And they both have appointments to see the orthopedic guy next week. Blaine has some soft tissue "microtears" from the car accident. And the rs?  I think his left knee has finally complained enough. Thankfully, he made it through 26.2 in Juneau.

MTA: Leslie. Thank you for the above story. Such emotions! People are good. Mostly. I believe.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Twocat.  I agree with the surgeon re: your recovery time frame.  I am sad you have to go through this and I pray for your comfort and 100% recovery.

One question, though. WIll you have post-op PT with tongue surgery?

I want to see pictures of the push-ups.

Marathon Maniac #957

ETA: Nobody bothered to tell me they were making a biographical film about me.  Daring choice to put a woman in the lead role.

No run for me today, swimming instead - 50 times across the pool (1250 yards) and about 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...thanks jay//...........yep, ''Try'' would definitely be the word..........

===========

mid 80s here

......50-min combo

.....................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks KSA. You might have given me some badly needed luck that’s been missing for a while

In the old days, they'd pour gasoline in there and light it up.

Whew, I thought that was gunna be two-cat’s treatment.

Good luck. Will you be able to speak, teach, etc?

Annual super-wimp triathlon, after all..

The way I’m slowing down so badly and, of course, not having swum more than ten-or-twelve strokes each time across the pool or in the lake a couple of times last summer and once this summer with GS and no biking since last year’s pretty regular 4-mile mutes that I switched to walking after the Seattle Marathon, I was getting resigned to this year being the end of the annual triathlons I’ve been able to do since 1978. The only realistic option seemed to be a late September super-sprint with the minimal ¼-mile swim I did with Mariposai’s DS a couple of years ago (he did the standard one-half mile swim of the regular sprint).

However, on this morning’s walking ‘mute, I was taking opportunistic sunrise photos of a group of triathletes all highly overdressed for the 74-degree waters of Lake Washington in their super-slick wetsuits when I overheard one of ‘em who was struggling to get out of his rubberized racing skin mention a new super-sprint in Monroe, Washington some of ‘em were going to do for training tomorrow (Sat/8-12). On highway 622 on the way to the Stevens Pass Ski Area I used to frequent in those day, it’s normally too far away to justify for just a triathlon, especially when I really can’t put all three legs together to meet required cutoffs and finish deadlines anymore without way more training than I’m willing to do now, if ever.

However, fortunately, as a very local event, the generous four-hour cutoff in Monroe not only applies to the popular Olympic Distance (1.0/25/10) but also to the super-sprints (0.25/14/3.1) designed for the beginner and wimp crowd. Better yet, registration is open until midnight tonight so I’m in!

Wish me luck

Predictions

Swim (0.25) – 16-20 minutes but it will feel like an hour

note 1: KSA’s DS and DD would take about six minutes'
                            note 2: since it'll require a lot of resting backstroking, I may just dog-paddle for the heck of it

Bike (14) – one hour+ as I’m not that much bendable for the time being for the aerobars

I’ve otherwise been using since they were first introduced in Kona in 1987.

Run (3.1) – 35-40 minutes as I’ll be wobbling a lot after an hour of cycling.

.However, since I eschew wetsuits and shoes that everyone else has to change into/out-of,

except for being so wobbly out of the swim and off the bike,

the transitions should be pretty competitive.

Too bad they don't count.

Yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

However, fortunately, as a very local event, the generous four-hour cutoff in Monroe not only applies to the popular Olympic Distance (1.0/25/10) but also to the super-sprints (0.25/14/3.1) designed for the beginner and wimp crowd. Better yet, registration is open until midnight tonight so I’m in!

Woot woot!!! 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yippee.

That could amost tempt me into doing one.  Probably would have to replace the knobby tires on my pseudo-mountain bike.

Have a great time, Tet.