Masters Running

Columbus Day 10-10-16 (or maybe Indigenous Peoples Day) (Read 39 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Must be a holiday or something today.  Almost noon on the left coast and no one between here and there wanted to start?

Excellent weekend of RA meetings and races.  Great results, not enough pictures.

And I did run this morning.  3.1 miles around the lake at an overall pace that was higher than Jay's.  But I did have about a 20 mph breeze in my face on the way back up the lake.  Which still amzes me how fast he goes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy77 you must have been typing while I was. I had the same thought, how can it be that no one has started the daily as yet.

SteveP impressed you looked back exactly a few days or so ago!

A general congratulations to our soggy, cold and wind blown friends that survived the Portland Marathon. Once upon a time I was sad to not have been in shape to run Portland and join the western RA crew for it. But, after the reports I saw, that sorry disappeared fast! While I would love to have hung out with the gang, I would not have been happy to have run in the conditions you all braved for my fall target race.

I ran 8 miles this morning. I also put together a training plan for the remaining weeks between now and when I run the Indianapolis Marathon early next month. Now, after what I said about Portland the weather in Indianapolis will likely involve snow, ice and tornados. 

DW is off today for Columbus Day so I decided to work from home.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

So much to catch up on ...

Saturday I ran Hartford Half and had a tough first 5 miles, but then got into a grove for the last 8.1 and today ran Tufts 10K - was very happy with everything about this race - the organization, the weather, my time ... all good! Twocat actully had a close 10K prediction time for me - next year at RTB I will listen to him!!!

Love hearing about Portland!!!

Most of you who have been runners for many years know what it's like to return from an injury.  It is the happiest of times in many ways.  The injury is healed, and every workout brings more satisfaction. Little milestones are huge deals for you.

Love this!!!

DH called; his cycle buddy fainted after their ride.  He's now debating with the EMTs about going in for an IV.  I was called upon to vote and of course sided with DH and the med folks.

Good call Amy

I decided again to go semi-nekkid, and not check my Garmin for my mile splits, going on 'feel' instead.

Oh My

Once again - so fun to have a little gathering this weekend - not often that we get to be social in this funny thing we call running.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Sayhey! MM#130

HIya!  (They stopped observing Columbus Day in South Dakota years ago.  And evidently, same here, as I am firmly ensconced at my state desk hard at work.)

I DID decide to walk and not run this morning--it was cooler, just 71, and delightful for running, but after the weekend's three sessions (the 5K that was almost entirely on the bridge, is a bit onerous--I run that bridge a lot, but not at that speed), opted for prudence.  I haven't taken a day off in while.  And walking was most enjoyable (strolling, not Jaywalking, you know.)

Agreed, Kevin, not nearly enough photos from the weekend meet-ups.  And no reports of any interesting behavior, you know??

Our Speedster crew in Chicago all ran well (including a 30-something teacher who has been trying for a BQ and finally got it), and unlike Portland, Chicago had excellent conditions.  I've not run that race--partly because it is so large and then it is also spendy.  But I'd like to do it someday.....   and also Hartford.  Would really like to do that one as it's so close to where I used to live.

Great post, Steve!  Thanks so much.

So it seems lately that whenever I look up an ache or pain I have, the answer seems to come to: age and/or arthritis.   Yecch.

For example, a little spot on the ball of my foot below the big toe [MTP joint]--toe arthritis.  It helps not to run on the forefoot so much.

Then, a spot on my right thumb/palm (I'm right handed): thumb arthritis.   WHo Knew??  There was list of factors--I edited out the ones that didn't apply to me, but many were left:

Factors that can increase your risk of thumb arthritis include:

• Female sex.
          • Age above 40 years.
          • Certain hereditary conditions, such as joint ligament laxity and malformed joints. [I have double jointed thumbs.]
          • Activities and jobs that put high stress on the thumb joint.

The fact that I don't feel old enough for arthritis seems not to matter.    At any rate, the exercises you can do are rather cute.  I sit at my desk and do these little thumb sit-ups, thumb wall push-ups or thumb jumping jacks.

Well,  just another Manic Monday.  Hope yours is all right and that all our running travelers are safe.  And able to get to the lav if necessary.  ANd get that second package of snacks.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Quote from La Tortuga

next year at RTB

Yahoo!!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Oh, and Jlynne, got this email from Daniel this morning:

Just a quick note to let you know I shared Jeanne's Tough Mudder story with my colleague, Jonathan, who does those himself.  He is maybe 30 years old and says his goal is to be the fittest person in any room he's in -- and it's probably true most of the time.  He was totally impressed with Jeanne's tale.  He's done several wet events himself and knows how much harder they can be.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along his impression. Thanks for sharing the story!

-- DH

That's our lady, totally impressing the 30 year old men in the room.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Oh, and Jlynne, got this email from Daniel this morning:

Just a quick note to let you know I shared Jeanne's Tough Mudder story with my colleague, Jonathan, who does those himself.  He is maybe 30 years old and says his goal is to be the fittest person in any room he's in -- and it's probably true most of the time.  He was totally impressed with Jeanne's tale.  He's done several wet events himself and knows how much harder they can be.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along his impression. Thanks for sharing the story!

-- DH

That's our lady, totally impressing the 30 year old men in the room.

She's sure impressed the 60 YO men in the room.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I am here still in Portland visiting my friend. We had a wonderful day today in the sunshine. Took in the Japanese gardens, Rose gardens, Powell bookstore ,the Portland underground tour which was most interesting and not all that much underground and then dinner at Chipotles.

I will go to Jazzercize with her tomorrow then bum around downtown while she is at a meeting. I will run after lunch from the house while she has her German lesson. (Her two grandsons live in Germany so at 71 she is learning the language). My legs were a tad sore going down steps today but not bad.

I learned a lot about Portland on that tour that Portland has more strip clubs per capita than any municipality in America. Also, they have a naked bike ride every year with 10,100 riders this year! Crazy idea!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

She's sure impressed the 60 YO men in the room.

Please add the 70-74 AG to that too. 
                    amy - good luck on controlling those thumb arthritis factors.
                    Be sure to let us know how you do it, especially no. 1
                    TomS - hope you had a great 50th Class reunion
                    I only went at the last minute to ours last year and loved it.
                    ps jay - what time did you mean the other day when you said you got up “early?”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Woods Lady, The hound had his own adventures. Though there were approximately 20 people for the three combined races, it's still not pet friendly.

TwoCat, I'm kinda fond of this merry band of misfit runners. Though I don't post every day, I don't want to miss anything.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Woods Lady, The good dog had his own adventures

Dad! Dad! Dad! I fixed it for you!

When it was before yesterday, me and Mom got the camper ready and we went bye bye with out Dad! Mom tattled on my because I did not want her to forget me too. She said to Dad I as being a pest. I was just trying to help and I really like going bye bye. When me and Mom got to the camping place, Marley was there! So was Moe and Mia! Mom and Dad took us out to go run run run!

When it was daytime some more, Dad went bye bye for a very long time. I didn't think I would ever see him again. But Honey comed over and it got worse. She has to drink out of my dish and when I get to have a treat, she gets one too.

Anyway, Dad finally came back and me and Honey were so happy to see him. I kept sneaking up behind Dad and between his knees and knocking Honey down so he didn't have to pet her. I'm nice like that.

When it was after a little while, Dad got me and Honey and took us two back to a busy trail so we could go run run run! We had to be on leashes for a long time because there are lots of people and Dad didn't want anyone to take me. Honey has to be on a leash because she is dumb and will smell after critters and never come back.

When we ran out of people to see, Dad hooked me and Honey together so he can be lazy and Honey can not have to go so slow.

I got sad a lot with Dad and he took her back all by hisself and I got to see squirrels and help them go run run run up trees!

They liked it a lot because they hollered all over the place.

All Honey does is smell all over the place and she tries to drag Dad and make him sad and grumpy.

I got to have lots of fun and see lots of things.

Honey just got to see her nose.

Honey is so dumb. We got back to the truck and she was sad.

But I know we got to right to the ice cream store.

Honey is so dumb, she doesn't even eat ice cream right. She eats it like a dumb cat licking it's self a bath. Some times you have to eat ice cream like it's the only thing you will ever have in your whole life!!!

I don't think she will ever learn. But I think we should get more practice with ice cream.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Marathon Maniac #957

At any rate, the exercises you can do are rather cute.  I sit at my desk and do these little thumb sit-ups, thumb wall push-ups or thumb jumping jacks.

Love the Avenger Doggie tale and pictures!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."