Masters Running

Friday May 8---time to get moving! (Read 545 times)

Good Morning! I am so happy to be home after a string of days on the road. I am grateful for the work, but there’s no place like home (placing my ruby slippers back in the closet for now). Coach sent a new plan as I ramp back up for some fall marathon fun. As usual it’s a hybrid of Daniels---Lydiard----Hanson style running with a heavy emphasis on tempo and MP runs. I rode the red line last summer at 85-90 miles per week, so the total mileage per week doesn’t go over 75 and she added more dynamic stretching and cross training (for me that’s biking, hiking, and swimming). She also added more “play”---barefoot strides, drills, and fun with races at a variety of distances. Here we go! It’s great to see Meg! Welcome back. Gorgeous morning here in the Pioneer Valley, so I headed out at 5:30 am for an easy 6 miler----ended up with 6.4 miles at 8:20 pace, sunny and 52º. Blissed out now.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Karin, and everyone to follow. So happy you are back running well again, and looking forward to serious Marathon training...hope your new plan works out well for you! (I think you are such a great runner, that you would do well without a plan) Smile 5 easy recovery paced miles last night for me - around 45 minutes - felt great just running around not worrying about paces or anything. Tomorrow is my 3rd 20 miler in this training cycle, and I plan on pushing this run and run as many MP or BQMP miles as I can, after 5 miles of easy running to start. Happy to see Meg post yesterday. Hope Steve (Perch) is dong ok. Where has Bob (Maine) been? Hope all is well with him too. Remember when Mary posted her wall of fame from her Marathon...I have my wall of controlled clutter I will post a picture of after while....a single guy kinda thing just taping and pinning my race stuff on my living room wall after each race. I couldn't let Tammy sneek this in late last night on the Thur daily...great job Tampster Smile
      Just returned from my run. 16 miles in 2:43:45. I was real pleased with this run. All my splits were nice and consistent and I chose a route that had a few challenging hills in them. I did a 6 mile loop, then the 6 mile loop again, then a shorter 4 mile loop, but each one incorporated in the two main hills I wanted to challenge myself with.
      Happy TGIF, and hope everyone has a Greta Day Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

CNYrunner.....Best of luck with your training an next Marathon. I wish I could take a break like that. I know in my head it would be good for me but i jsut can't bring myself to do it. Run then Swim I was heading out to the pool when I heard the weather forecast. High probability of more thundershowers tonight. Not wanting to miss my run, I dropped my back pack and went for a quicky. Approaching my turn around it dawned on me that I was scheduled for a 2 x 10min tempo. $hit ! I don't have time to do this and still swim so I shifted into a higher gear and brought it home. 3.79 miles total. 8:05 avg pace. Tempo consisted of 1.47 miles, time 10:21, pace 7:02 In the house, grab my back pack and dashed to the pool for a hard 800 yards...(no warm up needed) drills and then a 400 yard time trial........All in All, a good ass kicker. Happy Friday !
          Morning everyone, Terrible nights' sleep, dreaming and so restless with a slight cold. Hoping to race a 5k tomorrow (first race of the year). The question is do I race just to be sharp for the marathon in two weeks or do I skip it as I am not 100%? The morning will tell. Sunday I will do an ez 2 hour run. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Top 'O the World!

TGIF Peeps!! IRC (45* clear/calm) here on the Front Range for this HUGE college graduation morning!! did an additional 3 Dead miles @ the Snug last night, for a total of 8 for the day...hot, sweaty, slow, slog....my body hasn't quite made the shift to Summer yet ....okay, okay, it only got up to 80* - & had cooled down maybe to 75* by run time .... BUT! other than a little tired (I really could sleep some more!) I feel fine this am. isn't that wonderful!? I remember, not so long ago, that I: a)couldna done that & b) would definitely be feeling it the next day! ....okay then...DS bailed on last night...said he didn't feel well...(insert suspicious emoticon here) wondering if I'm bringing him out of the gate a little too hard...Printed off the C25K program for him....OTOH, his new shoes arrived UPS last night! Fast! like that Zappos! I opened the box to check out these gunboats Holy Crap Batman! Shocked...is one thing to know they're a size 16...is quite another to pick them up!! Greta Weekend to Everyone! C
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Tramps

Tammy—great LR last night! Meg—Ouch. That does sound like a rough patch. Glad to hear you’ve turned the corner and will be visiting regularly. Karin—sounds like you’re happy with your coach. That’s great; it must be a real asset. Tall—take care of that cold. Another humid one today for my 6 miler. I told myself I wouldn’t whine but, instead, would find something positive to say about it. Here goes: I didn’t get hit by a bus. Have a good weekend. ETA: Saw a well-fed coyote in my backyard yesterday. Haven't seen the turkey in that picture I posted since then. Coincidence?

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Out for an easy 2.5 miles this morning in the fog. The moon looked really kewl though! The weather for tomorrows race is cooler (okay) windy and scattered rain (not okay). Plus they had to change the route due to flooding, so now it is a little more hilly and challenging. Oh goody!! I think I'm just going to give it my all and get it over with as quickly as I can. What the hell .... Tongue Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Fast! like that Zappos!
                  I really try to spend my money locally but it is very difficult to compete with Zappo's. We have a specialty running store about 45 mins away in the closest major metro area. They are a sponser for every local race around and RD two of thier own races. I do feel quilty when I hit that checkout button at Zappos but it's get my shoes tomorrow (at no additional cost) or make a special trip to the "Cities". Besides......who dosen't like coming home and seeing a package on your front door step ! Mary I want one of those puppies !

Top 'O the World!

Yes Slo, but one other consideration for this youngun is the size 16!! waaay too often the local store doesn't carry them in stock...have to order, wait 7-10 days to "test fit" Roll eyes
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

King of PhotoShop

Tim, that run tomorrow sounds perfect. Karin, I too have that dying to get home feeling. 0 running for me today. Finish my workshop at ten, drive 3.5 hours to Seattle airport, then 3:30 pm flight home. Will be happy to sleep in my own bed again. Spareribs
                        Morning, gang! Karin - nice to see you at the top of the list - and back to marathon training. Meg - welcome back!! Mary - what a great puppy pic - love it! I'm working at home today. Jesse and I did an easy 4 miles before the local school buses rolled out. Temp was in the low 50's, but I didn't have any energy. Doesn't bode well for my trail race tomorrow...... Everybody have a great weekend, and speedy feets for our weekend racers!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tammy – nice LR yesterday! Timbo - looks like you and I have the same plan for tomorrow, although I'm throwing some "Heartbreak Hill" repeats at the end, just for added torture.... Tongue Mntchk1 – my 12-year-old DS just got his new summer tennies – Men’s size 13! And he’s not very big - only 5’3”. We’re wondering when his feet will stop growing and let the rest of him catch up. 2 easy-paced miles for me today, followed by .85 mile walk-jog with DD. Then my favorite lower body session: 1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) Plus dumbbell curls, shoulder presses, bench dips, butterflies, and stability ball crunches. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for starting us off, Karin. Daniels-Lydiard-Hanson? Sounds like an interesting mix. I'm thinking of going to someone for a plan next year, but am always concerned about finding one suitable for someone my age. Maybe if I find a 60-something coach? I ran several miles a few days ago and was struggling to even get below a 10-minute pace. It was so depressing that I didn't want to post it in the forum here. The next day, I saw the dr. that I'm switching to for BP care and he immediately said that he'd never prescribe the one medication for his active patients, and especially someone at my level of activity. Now I'm not sure if this is physical or psychological, but after being off it for just over a day I went out this morning and had the best-feeling run that I've had in weeks. It was only 4 miles, but I had a 9:24 average and did the last mile in 8:45 (first sub-9 mile in a very long time). Have good runs today and for this weekend's races, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Roch--if you wouldn't mind me asking, what is the BP meds that your doc switched you off of? I have several that I take and have always been curious of their effect on my running. Might be a question that I need to ask MY doc. thanks.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Now I'm not sure if this is physical or psychological, but after being off it for just over a day I went out this morning and had the best-feeling run that I've had in weeks.
                                Excellent! Don't ever underestimate the power of medications to get in the way of your running. A couple months ago I went off the BCP I was on (for cycle regulation) and felt an immediate increase in speed and endurance. Might have been in my head (since no studies say that should interfere with performance), but I sure felt a difference.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."