Masters Running

Tues 7- 8 Daily (Read 681 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning you great folk here at RA. Wow, interesting here lately to say the least. 8 easy miles last night in H&M conditions, but got it done in 1:09 - 8:38 pace (and I felt horrible with stomach issues from something I ate at lunch... "bad" French onion dip I suspect that I was eating with pretzels) Speaking of pace, since Ribs has me on a training plan that has two "big" workouts a week, and with all speed work Incorporated within a long run - and mid week long run, my "easy" pace has dropped by over 1 minute per mile on average. Like last Sat's 17 miler, normally my pace for such a long run would have been around 9:15 to 9:45, but last Sat's run I had overall average pace of 8:20 , which is a huge difference. Not telling anyone to change your training program, but expressing my own progress, which Ribs is graciously helping me with.....hint hint Larry Smile Speaking of btb Bob, he is definitely back 100% running wise.....http://runningahead.com/logs/3412da5dac5b4d779defefb48f09e92a And is missed here deeply. Hope Joey reconsiders posting here, as he would be deeply missed also. Update on "10 cat chick" that I had a date with. She Emailed me and said she had a good time....and blah blah blah. But then said she is looking for someone bigger and more buff, and she has a problem with the no hair thing. Hey, I didn't have to run from her like many expressed here, but she took care of it herself Big grin I will have to admit I had many dates when I was fat and weighed 250 pounds and a slug. But now skinny and fit I am finding most women don't find that attractive Confused Oh well, would rather be single, than to be the way I used to be Smile Hope all have a wonderful day Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Dave59

Rest day for me. Did my assigned PT exercises this morning for my back. Olympics start in 1 month!

Renee the dog

Update on "10 cat chick" that I had a date with. She Emailed me and said she had a good time....and blah blah blah. But then said she is looking for someone bigger and more buff, and she has a problem with the no hair thing.
        Surprised How unbelievably shallow! What would she do if her mate went bald? Call a lawyer???? No running for me yet today -- getting the two kiddos ready for Day 1 of Swim Lessons! Should be interesting...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

As you know, Tim, you're better without her. Sheesh. Got up early for a longish midweek run - 10 miles. Still a bit under the weather, but managed to finish per plan. It was touch and go for a while, though -- I figured if I can run through this, I can run through anything. Workout: 9.1 miles, 8:40/mi, AHR 151 Overall: 10.1 miles, 1:28 Have a great run today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tim, that's funny. No wonder she is currently "available". I have had similar responses by the way. I have always been slim (skinny most would say) and women typically looked past me very quickly. I have noticed though that as I am now 56 and still slim/skinny, many older women look at me a bit more - no doubt comparing me to their probably heavier and out-of-shape significant others. Several weeks ago I ran some 1/2 mile Repeats and got a bunch of advice on how I should be doing them. Spareribs suggested I run them at 3:45 (7:30 min/mile pace) with 200 meters of rest between. Labduck, over on KR, asked why I ws taking such a short rest break between (2 minutes then). He had always heard you should rest/jog for the same amount of time as the time taken to run the Repeats. So getting conflicting suggestions, I tried this session this morning: 9 miles total with 7x1/2 mile repeats and 3 minutes jog between each. I ran them fairly hard and got the following (all by feel): 3:54 (7:48 min/mile pace) 3:48 (7:37) 3:44 (7:29) 3:42 (7:24) 3:45 (7:31) 3:45 (7:31) 3:40 (7:22) I must admit I walked a little before and right after the last Repeat. 76 degrees and 89% humidity. Avg HR 149, max HR 170. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, all! Tim - nonoruns is absolutely on the money - that lady is incredibly shallow, and you are lucky to have escaped unscathed. Hard to believe that the women you have encountered aren't into skinny and fit men. You just aren't hanging with the right crowd ;-). My DH ballooned up to around 225 before discovering the joy of running and being fit. I loved him then, but I much prefer his current 160 pound, little, skinny self. Lou - nice run in spite of not feeling well! Dave - I've thoroughly enjoyed the Olympic trials - can't wait for the games to begin! nonoruns - first day of swimiming lessons - how about some pictures??? Speaking of pictures - Mary - any more puppy pictures, or have they all gone to new homes???? Nice and muggy here this morning - somewhere around 68 degrees and absolutely calm. I intended to do an easy run on the track but it turned into a short tempo run. 2 miles warmup, 3 miles @ 8:45 and 2.5 miles cool down for an overall pace of 9:24. The weatherman has promised tht we'll get a reprieve from the humidity on Thursday - hope he is right. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bill, that's incredible pacing ....by feel. I just can't get "the feel" on faster paces yet, but am working on it. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DickyG

Vista: If you're reading this, you got to come back...the yankees have us outnumbered. Holly: Even though you had some pain yesterday, you were smart enough to back down...you've made amazing progress this past week. Pink shoes? Hmmm...actually, probably prettier than my day-glo yellow Asics. Sue: Tough runs Sunday & Monday...I think the humidity is getting to all of us, especially TomWhite who has now taken to running in the swamp. Peter: Well I, for one, always loved the 944, much more so than the 924 and the 968 which replaced it. Superior handling & stopping ability. I have a '76 914, also belittled because of its VW engine. Still kept it even though I bought a first edition Miata in 1989. Always admired those who have the talent to work on their cars...I can barely change the station. Tramps: How did colonoscopy go? I have one on 7/23...my third...procedure is nothing but, as you know, the prep day is rather disgusting. Bruce: Good recovery run...thought you'd never back down. Enke: Running 16 miles with same effort that it used to take to do 10-12 is a wonderful accomplishment...don't know how many of us could say that...I sure can't. Deez4boyz: Very unsmart to run at midday...and very smart to hang it up before you overheated...seen it happen waaaay too many times. Tim: Unreal that your pace has dropped that much...are you doing more miles, invervals, both? Sounds like "10CatChick" has a problem with the world...I got a guy for her...check out pic I'm posting. Did 4.1 miles on the hills...improved my pace to 9:35, a whopping 1 second/mile improvement over yesterday...at this rate I'll hit my target pace of 8:45 about 5 minutes before I die of old age. Still getting tired too early and walking too much on the hills. Peachtree pics: Posting one today (I'll spread them out). Every year a few runners jump in at the 3, 4, or even 5-mile mark, just so they can get the coveted Peachtree tee shirt. Queen Pam picks them out at the finish...they have much higher numbers than those around them, are not sweating, and obviously unable to do a full 10K. Check out the finely-conditioned athlete in today's pic...number beginning with "5" and "finishing" with the "1's"...not one bead of sweat...and a stomach probably not unlike Tim's before he dropped 100 pounds. The guy complained loudly that they were serving water and energy bars at the finish instead of burgers and fries. DickyG

Hill Runner

Good morning all, It's a litte muggy here today but still a nice morning for running. I was up late last night reinstalling my computers' OS & applications....finally got done about midnight. Everying is running fast now. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to get up at 5:30AM but I did... Smile 10.14 miles of hills@ 9:14 pace, I walked about a mile to cool down and jumped into the pool after that. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

DickyG I am running the Missoula Montana marathon this Sunday. Kind of my consolation prize for having been injured in April and unable to run Boston. So far the weather is looking good for the race! Assuming the forecast holds up it will be in the low 50's at the start with very little humidity. Now if that hill in the middle of the course would just shrink and the 400' net uphill climb along the course turn into a net down hill and if . . . Smile BTW, you have my sympathy for walking through part of the run given the humidity. So far as I can tell humidity is way worse than plain old heat. Holly Well as you said at least the doctor said you can run some during your recovery period. Hope things continue to improve on pace. SueT48 last year the summer weather was awesome! Warm, dry, clear . . . sigh. This year it is like living in a perpetual steam room. Nice 16 miler in the humidity on Sunday and another 7 yesterday. Tramps good luck with the doc today! Craneium nice 12 miler. wildchild getting lost is half the fun, well sort of, with a new route! Of course, maybe this explains why my DW refuses to go for a run with me my first time out when we are traveling . . . Smile Teresadfp good luck with the ankle. So far as I can tell ice is the runner's cure for nearly every ailment! I hope it works. biketem another runner slogging though the humidity, nice run/swim at a good clip. I am not sure what pool of women you are dating but I can say for sure that around here trim and fit sure does better than fat and sickly! WRFB nice work getting in 10.1 miles today. SueT48 I guarantee the humidity breaks on Friday as that is when I fly out of CT for the weekend. Today was my "dress rehearsal" for Sunday's race. The goal was 7 miles with 2 at MGP, which in my dreams is 7:38. I think I could have pulled that off last fall on a fairly level course. Now and on a net uphill course . . . probably not. Still, one can dream. On the up side it was so humid today that it made for a good test of my ability to run and take a steam bath all at the same time! Smile Getting to the point I did manage 2 miles at a 7:30 pace but it was not easy and for a marathon it has to be easy. I also ran it with a net uphill of about 70 feet figuring that too would be good practice for the race. Now I just have two 5 mile and one 4 mile days, all at easy paces, pre-race.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Bill! Don't forget that I read everything, so I have a comment about that interval discussion you saw on Kick. Before I comment, let me say that 7:30's are probably just right for you, and that a 200 jog recovery is what you are looking for, but having said that, with the H and H I can sure see why allowed yourself a bit more and that last one was an effort. Great job on that workout. Notice that these slightly off-pace sessions are so much more valuable to you than all-out, speedy 800's as you can do far more volume at a prolonged increased HR and feel fresher the next day. How can training get any better? Also, doing this by feel is a great way to teach yourself pace. Nice job. Now back to Labduck. As you recall he posted doing 800's at something like 6 minutes a mile and he took quite a long recovery after each. In fact, as I remember it, it seemed like full recovery. So in doing the math, I figure Labduck at top condition runs the fiveK at 19:45, so he is doing those sessions at VO2 max, certainly faster than fiveK pace. Speed like this on the track is actually useful toward the tail end of a training program (with full recovery after each repeat, so they are not technically called intervals but repeats) but not in the early stages, so if I were to jump in there I would have suggested he hold off on that kind of workout until the last 4-6 weeks of his program, as that is all you require for top anaerobic development. I am sure you also noted that Daave commented to Lab about that workout and suggested that he slow the pace down which would enable him to do more 800's. I might have made the same comment as Daave but would have also commented on where this workout fits into his training and on the recovery time/distance. Since we are discussing this and I don't like to mention his name here, I will ask him to read our posts and comment. Well I talked the cardiologist into seeing me today, not for the stress/echo which is on the 18th, but just so he can give me some guidance and calm me down. I have printed out a bunch of questions to ask him. I did not run this morning figuring that it is just one day and I can always go out this afternoon. Tim, don't be discouraged over this one episode. There are many wonderful women out there looking for the right guy. Keep at it. And what in the hell are you doing eating French onion dip and pretzels? Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim – I can’t believe that she would really SAY that! What a creep she is! So glad you found that out now, instead of later. Hang in there, my fren... And Breger – I don’t know what you’re talking about. You have always had a month reserved on my Boomer Gods calendar. DickyG – people really jump in halfway through the race? SR - please keep us posted. I'm concerned but also curious about the symptoms you've been having. No run for me today – light x-training instead: lateral raises, dumbbell curls, butterflies, push-ups, superman lifts, and a rather challenging 13-minute ab/core video (plank-jacks – who can really do those things?). I was scheduled for my first-ever PT appointment this morning before work. I got there early and asked if I could go ahead and give my co-pay. Turns out that what used to be a $10 co-pay is now a $250.00 deductible. Shocked Shocked Our insurance changed on July 1 and I missed this difference in coverages. Needless to say, I will NOT be having any PT sessions for this particular injury. Serves me right for not checking in advance. Boy, am I glad that I asked FIRST. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

DickyG, the new plan Ribs has me on has made the real difference, compared to my "winging" it approach I was using before. I am running a few more miles a week, but not that many more and ALL speed work is done during my long run and mid week long run days...the rest is easy or recovery running. Example last week: Mon - 10.5 easy miles - 1:32 - 8:46 pace Tues - 4 recovery miles Weds - Mid week long - 12.7 miles 1:43 - 8:09 overall ave pace - with 6 1000's at 7:15 pace Thurs - 4 recovery miles Friday - 7 easy miles Sat - 17 miles - 2:22 - 8:20 ave pace - with 3 @ M pace and 3 @1/2 M pace Sun - 7 easy miles Total - 62.2 miles - A little tired, but good week And with this plan, it's not that hard to run 7 days per week vs having 3 or 4 hard workouts a week. Ribs, just having a little snack...hey, pretzels aren't that bad, the dip not so good I know. Tim

3.5 miles for me in the rain yesterday. I don't run in the rain often, but I really didn't want to miss the day. DD didn't appreciate the wet sloppy hug she got afterwards. Caught her unawares. Going to be a hot and humid week for me. I guess this is where I got started last year, so it should be familiar...of course back then I was just starting the c25k, so this is quite different running more than a few minutes at a time. Also can't wait for the Olympics. We have a local favorite gymnast, Shawn Johnson, competing. My kids didn't do gymnastics, but many people I know have kids that train in the same gym. Cool...
                                ..dickyG//......that is Hilarious...... .................I did look like 2nd Place in a Hog Throwing Contest....... ============== ....30min easy run......... .............good running to the rest of ya..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....