Masters Running

Wed Jan 23 Master runs / workouts (Read 688 times)

seemomgo

8 chilly miles down to the reservoir. 21 when I started but much warmer by the time I got home! Still some ice, but managed to run without the yaktracks.
      I thought this was funny, and hope it doesn't happen to anyone . . . unless they want it too of course!!
      This kinda reminds me of what my Dad used to say when it would get really cold. "If you got any brass monkeys, you better get 'em in the house."
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      TammyinGP

Good Morning Masters! We have been hit with a long cold spell here in So. Oregon also. I feel like that cartoon above! well, hopefully my butt isn't that big Roll eyes We usually get a few days here and there in the winter of sub freezing temps, but we are going on about 2 wks now. Even down in the teens at night, which is not common for us. So, I've been doing my bonding time with the treadmill for a few wks now. I don't typically buy COLD weather gear since I wouldn't get to use it that often. I have a pair of tights and can layer up a bit, but nothing is really made for the sub freezing temps. I ran 5 yesterday and will do another 5-6 tonight. After a few wks of rotator cuff strain/pain, I think I'm back to normal now and even did 30 pushups last night and it didn't bother me. Next week I start my official marathon training plan. I skipped weeks 1-3 because I was already doing higher mileage than those weeks called for. This plan (Higdon's Novice II) only has one 20 mile run, but I'm going to do 2 of them. I think I'll just feel better prepared if I can get in a couple of those under my belt. Fortunately one of those 20 milers falls on the same date I plan on running a 10 mile race, so that'll make the 20 mile training run a bit easier to do (mentally that is) since I will have a few hundred friends running with me for the first part of the 20 mile run. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

jules2

4.80 in 36.38, legs feeling tired from accumulated miles and my tendon is sore so I may rest for a few days and concentrate on cycling. My log is trapped at CR but from recollection I've never done more than 90 miles in a month and I am hoping to break 100 miles this month. Bearing in mind the whole of last year I only did just over 400 due to injury and am just getting over a really bad cold it would be a good start to the year and explains why I feel tired. Can't really explain it but the move from CR and reading the forum has reawakened my interest in running as sometimes last year I thought I would never pound the tarmac again. At least it wasn't wet tonight its been so bad since the start of the month I've been running a strange kind of fartek because theres that many puddles I have to speed up or slow down to avoid getting splashed by cars.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - I hope your cold snap ends soon, especially because that might mean that OUR cold snap will end... Smile When is your marathon? Any other Boomers running it with you (besides Tet, because I KNOW he will come down for that, and oh I'm SO jealous that you get to share that first one with him)...Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

-4 C at start, +4 C at end. Nice symmetry. 10 miles total, including 5 hills and some fartlek. I picked out a friendly hill on my favourite route. It is about 60 feet up (seems like more!) and about 250 metres long (.16 mile). I decided to run up the first time at a normal GA pace, to get a baseline. Then I jogged down and turned around at some point to run up the hill again. HILLS: 0.16 mile, 1:54, 12:00 pace 0.16 mile, 1:39, 10:17 pace 0.16 mile, 1:33, 9:26 pace 0.16 mile, 1:32, 9:21 pace The next rep I increased the pace, but kept it from being all out. The last two reps were close to all out, however the very last one was totally ALL OUT near the top and I am so delighted Roll eyes I shaved a second off that one (was it worth blowing out a lung for??). There was a different 5th hill, but I didn't charge it. I was having so much fun pushing the lap button on my Garmin, that I decided to add some fartlek to today's workout. 1 mile @ 8:33 pace (was trying for 2 miles, but I could see it wasn't gonna happen) 0.28 mile @ 7:32 pace 25 sec @ 6:17 pace That's enough fun and games for one day. Actually for one week. All easy the rest of the week. Good runs all!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Tammy - I hope your cold snap ends soon, especially because that might mean that OUR cold snap will end... Smile When is your marathon? Any other Boomers running it with you (besides Tet, because I KNOW he will come down for that, and oh I'm SO jealous that you get to share that first one with him)...Big grin
                the Eugene Marathon is 5-4-08. There is quite a large group going from KR. Alot from the 30's Moms & Dads running group and I know a few of them, although I don't post on that board. Even on the Master's group over there, there's quite a few. . . let's see if I can remember . . Enke Smile , duckgeek, Econo, Johnny, trying to convince Mariposai to make the trip, Soundrunner, Lab and Mrs. Lab will hopefully make the trip down, Tet, Souci, Mustang Sally, Breger is coming out . . . and there might be more that I'm forgetting too. Sorry. And I have a few friends from my hometown that are making the trip up as well. It's going to be a huge party weekend, with a marathon thrown in there!

Tammy

bap

Pretty warm here too. 31 degree wind chill. I wish I'd worn shorts. I found out late about a work commitment tonight so I nipped home at lunchtime to attempt a tempo run. Warm up - 1 mile @ 8:47 downhill (hr = recovery) Pickup 1 - 1 mile @ 8:07 (Av HR 135 = easy) Recovery - 0.4 mile @ 10 minute pace (HR decreased to recovery) Pickup 2 - 1 mile @ 7:52 (Av HR 137 = easy) Recovery - 0.4 mile @ 10 minute pace (HR decreased to recovery) Pickup 3 - 1 mile @ 7:42 (Av HR 142 = tempo (just)) Warm down - .5 mile @ 10 minute pace. I was actually a lot more relaxed during the final pickup. Total 5.4 miles at 8:20 pace. Good runs everyone!

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

OK......I just had a weird experience. I posted ( I am quite sure) in today's date and it showed up in yesterday's thread. Now I would say it was my mistake EXCEPT I see that BAP must have done the same thing. Anyway.....here is what I posted that is for TODAY A noon time run of 6 miles under nice sunny skies and 45 degrees. I was not planning to do 6 but the weather was so good I didn't want to get back to doing work. I have found that a lot of the rooms in Vegas are quite large. I have stayed at the Rio and those rooms are humongus. I was having problems across the top of my foot and devised a lace deflector out of plastic. That sounds fancier than what it was. It simply was a piece of plastic that I placed between the lace and the shoe tongue to spread the pressure from the lace to a wider area. It worked after I figured how to keep it from slipping down the shoe. I hope the work problem improves Roch. Have a nice trip there Erika. Something tells me Vegas is not as hot this time around as it was back in July and the soccer tournament. I trust the foot problem is nothing of any major consequence Peter. It is interesting how we all panic when something happens that we think might indicate an injury. I saw where there was a bad accident in Ottawa with a bus involved and a couple of people were killed. A little over a week ago in New Brunswick a high school basketball team's van hit ice and ran into the path of an oncoming transport, killing 7 players and the coaches wife. Yikes. Have a good remainder of the day all.
                    Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

the Eugene Marathon is 5-4-08. There is quite a large group going from KR. Alot from the 30's Moms & Dads running group and I know a few of them, although I don't post on that board. Even on the Master's group over there, there's quite a few. . . let's see if I can remember . . Enke Smile , duckgeek, Econo, Johnny, trying to convince Mariposai to make the trip, Soundrunner, Lab and Mrs. Lab will hopefully make the trip down, Tet, Souci, Mustang Sally, Breger is coming out . . . and there might be more that I'm forgetting too. Sorry. And I have a few friends from my hometown that are making the trip up as well. It's going to be a huge party weekend, with a marathon thrown in there!
                      That sounds like a blast! I hope you will post your RR (with lots of pictures and details) here as well as at Kick. BAP and Enk - nice workouts!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tammy, I think we should sign 'posa up while she's out of the country. Evil grin Let's add, too: Dark Horse Spareribs Holly, She Who Deserves A Trip Out West Me thinks breger and the beer drinkers from the East coast are coming, too. Cold clear day here and can't wait to hit the park trail and get some rowing in, too (yes, add me to the rowing groupie list...) Lots of forum catching up to do. Good runs and xt to everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, She Who Deserves A Trip Out West
                          Don't I know it...Big grin Soundie - speak of the devil for sure, not 30 minutes ago I was just mentioning your name in an e-mail as one of the Boomers I haven't seen posting much over here and miss a lot... Eugene sounds like SUCH a great weekend (oh and yeah the race would be nice, too) but I'm going to be running (hobbling) the Flying Pig marathon on that day in Cincinnati with a friend and his niece who're running their first marathon.

TammyinGP

ooo-good idea Soundie!! We'll just sign up Mariposai while she's away! It will be a fun weekend - I can't think of a more ideal group of folks to spend my first marathon with. It will certainly make it memorable for me - as if just running a marathon for the first time isn't memorable enough. oh, and Soundie - I do have a double room already reserved but not sharing with anyone . . . just in case you wanna room together. And yes, Holly, I will definitely post my RR here as well. I do think at one time Ribs showed a possible interest in Eugene . . . so maybe he's still contemplating it!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

I just had time for a quick 3.3 miles at noon, so I could get back and shower before a 1 pm conference call. Cold and sunny here today, about 26 degrees. Felt great. Hi Tammy, good to hear from you. How are things over at KR? I don't have the time to check both sites. You say you don't buy cold weather running gear since you wouldn't use it much - don't you have any cold weather gear from other sports (backpacking, skiing) that you could use? No regular long underwear that you could put under your running clothes? (I just can't imagine NOT OWNING long underwear!) Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 9:07 mile pace. Hey, I'm doing the best I can. Soundie, I'll go to Eugene if you room with me. JK. Nice to see the Pacific Northwest wimmen posting today. Smile Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.