Masters Running

Sandy Monday Daily, 10.29.12 (Read 392 times)

Prayers for safety to those on the East Coast.

I'm still trying to recover from the weekend.  I was suppose to put in 4 miles this morning, but I was exhausted after going, going, going.  The late night Saturday did me in (am I getting old or what?).  Both yesterday morning and this morning I woke up feeling hung over and I don't drink!  I think the higher-than-normal humidity we've been experiencing and lack of my regular water intake over the two days contributed to feeling crappy.  I plan on running my 4 miles after work and not doing any transcription tonight.  Just getting into my PJ's, making granola, and relaxing.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Tet, that image doesn't appear for me.  Do others see it? If not, please repost.  Thanks.  Spareribs

Tet, that image doesn't appear for me.  Do others see it? If not, please repost.  Thanks.  Spareribs

...was this it??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

room temperature

Treadmill: 3.76. miles in 35 minutes. 30 minutes of running and 5 minutes of jogging (cool down)

Then, I swam just one lap (50 yards) and then I sat in the swirly hot water tub. Ralph swam 2000 yards. 

His hip and back still hurt. He sees the doctor next week I think.

The wind is picking up now. 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

#artbydmcbride

gah!!!!!!

...was this it??

Runners run

Ew!!  That's just creepy.

. . .

. . .

Ooh!  A new avatar!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

From WMZQ-FM in Rockville, MD:

Just in case people forget, there are amazing soldiers standing at the Tomb through this craziness. This a picture from this morning.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Tom but I think Spareribs wanted more pictures of francesca, not of him, . . . or is that you or me?

sorry about the images.

I think my camera got wet or something.

Maybe Carolyn can help again.

The event photog, who has been photoging trail runs for more than 20 years, describes Saturday's proceedings as " the wet, wet, wet Carkeek 12 Hour."  http://www.tachifoto.net/Running/Carkeek-12-Hour-2012/26186538_WXMpD2#!i=2178185384&k=TWkjZdS 

Within an hour of so after the run, my legs felt like toast. 

They ached all night and today it hurts just to walk. 

That's thanks to the downhill running. 

They haven't been this sore since I ran my only marathon. 

enke - me too but not since White River in 2008.

good luck opie.

eta - thanks for that leslie.

sure puts getting wet running in perspective.

God bless the Marines and all who make it possible for us to run whenever we want to..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

That is an amazing photo Leslie and what it's representing is accurate, but it's not a current photo taken during Hurricane Sandy.  There are several false photos circulating on facebook today.

Went out for 5 miles during lunch today. It was warmer than I thought it would be out there! probably about 70 I think.

Tammy

Mariposai

Just got a note from the Twocats, their power just went out. Will keep you posted as I hear from them.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks, Tammy.

I think those guys are 3rd Infantry ''The Old Guard" as opposed to Marines (?).  Either way - God bless them all.

By Luis Martinez:

An inspirational picture making the rounds on the Internet today is reminding people of the service of the elite soldiers who guard Arlington Cemetery’s Tomb of the Unknowns in any kind of weather, even during Hurricane Sandy.   That the picture was actually taken in September is another matter, because even as Hurricane Sandy makes its way along the Eastern seaboard, soldiers are there, guarding the tomb in the fierce wind and rain.

Tomb Sentinels from the Army’s 3rd Infantry Regiment’s “The Old Guard” have guarded the Tomb for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year regardless of the weather, since 1948.

A photo of three Tomb Sentinels standing at attention before the Tomb of the Unknowns in a driving rain in what is supposed to be Hurricane Sandy took the Internet by storm today, but it turns out the photo was actually  taken on Sept. 18.   It is one in a series taken that day by photographer Karin Markert and posted on a photo sharing site. 

Quickly becoming an Internet sensation on social media sites, the photo garnered universal positive comments of pride for the duty and commitment to service of those serving in the U.S. military.

The picture might not be from today, but it does represent the faithful duty of the Tomb Sentinels from the Old Guard who have remained at their posts during Hurricane Sandy.

See more photos of soldiers at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier HERE.

“The Old Guard has guarded the tomb minute of every day since April 6, 1948. Today will be no exception,” says an official posting on the unit’s Facebook site.

The site also includes pictures of the Sentinels protecting the Tomb today during Hurricane Sandy’s heavy rains and winds.

ap tomb unknown soldier rain mn thg 121029 wblog Soldiers Guard the Tomb of Unknowns During Hurricane Sandy

Spc. Brett Hyde, Tomb Sentinel, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), keeping guard over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during Hurricane Sandy, at Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Monday, Oct. 29, 2012. (Sgt. Jose A. Torres Jr.,/U.S. Army Photo/AP Photo)

A caption for one of the photos says Spc. Brett Hyde  lives by the Sentinel’s Creed which in part says “Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability.”

Arlington Cemetery was closed to the general public today, but the Old Guard continued with its normal duty of honoring the fallen at funeral services.

The Sentinels  execute precise steps before the Tomb that is the final resting place for unknown soldiers from World War I, World War II and the Korean War. The Changing of the Guard at the Tomb is a popular stop for Washington tourists.

They remain at their posts rain, snow or shine and extreme weather is not a concern.  They remained at their posts during Hurricanes Isabel and Irene as well as the 2010  blizzard, nicknamed “Snowmaggedon“, that shut down the capital for days.

Typically when it rains, Tomb Sentinels have the option of standing their watch under a green tent located to the side of the Tomb where they usually remain during wreath-laying ceremonies at the tomb.

According to the Society of The Old Guard’s website, Tomb Sentinels “are completely dedicated to their duty of guarding the Tomb. Because of that dedication, the weather does not bother them. In fact, they consider it an honor to stand their watch (we call it “walking the mat&rdquoWink, regardless of the weather. It gets cold, it gets hot – but the Sentinels never budge. And they never allow any feeling of cold or heat to be seen by anyone.”

The Society is an alumni association for the more than 400 soldiers who have earned the Sentinel badge since 1958.

The website for The Society says that despite their commitment, the welfare of the soldier is never put at risk: “The Tomb Guards have contingencies that are ready to be executed IF the weather conditions EVER place the Soldiers at risk of injury or death — such as lightning, high winds, etc. This ensures that Sentinels can maintain the Tomb Guard responsibilities while ensuring soldier safety. It is the responsibility of the Chain of Command from the Sergeant of the Guard to the Regimental Commander to ensure mission accomplishment and soldier welfare at all times.”

<h6> </h6>

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SteveP

I don't mind saying that you've helped keep me from packing it in Tet.

Hang tight cherished Eastern Seaboard friends. A person can also drain safe drinking water from the hot water tanks.

Lately, Holly, I keep thinking of what I should be doing instead of running. I need to see the wizard about my brain.

Hi MikeE. How's Eric?

Silly quads (((Enke))).

I'd need to see pictures of Leslie chil'laxing to believe it. Thank's for the reminder about the dedicated guards.

Tom, you may be disturbed. SNORK.

Tag and I got an hour in at trails by Mom's old house. Then lunch with DW, getting parts to rebuild the garage door opener and grocery shopping, Dinner at the neighbors. Life is good.

We had a pumpkin carving party here yesterday. I made the Jello cups and SIL's niece put faces on them with dry erase marker.

SteveP

evanflein

Yeah, Leslie, I was gonna post something about the timing of that photo, but then you caught it, too. Still, seems amazing how many would take advantage of the day to post things like that under false pretenses.

Nice running, Masters! I'm too far behind to individually comment, except I've gotta say on the village... Twocat... really? Looks like the Christmas villages I see now and then, but on steroids. Or zombie juice, or something....

Glad to see OM post, I was thinking about her. 

NO run on Sunday (did I post that already? I still can't believe it), and squandered one of the last best early-winter running days I could have. Oh well. It is what it is. Today we went to work with close to 3" of new snow on the ground and more coming down. Hopefully they'll get the bikepaths plowed again soon.

I'm heading to Seattle on Saturday evening and I'll be there for a week. Got any takers for a run here or there???

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, there'll be no packing in anything as long as we still think we can still run.

I'm heading to Seattle on Saturday evening and I'll be there for a week. Got any takers for a run here or there???

Erika - please, please come down friday night and stay and extra day too.

I know a couple of great long runs you'd like so much if your time permits.

. . . . 11/03/12 - In Unity We Run Marathon (commemorating NYC 2001 Marathon) - Kent, WA (entry fee - $10)

. . . . 11/10/12 - First Call Veteran's Day Marathon - Bothel, WA (entry fee - donation)

All the Marathon Maniacs want to meet you. I tell all of them you think the Equinox Marathon is normal.

Please also come to posie's Butterfly-family/RA reunion run at next summer's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon.

I'm not into training runs that much but, with sunrise a little after 7am and sunset around 6pm, maybe try to get down to divechief's favorite waterfront run routes before/after your meetings.  If you have any spare time, . . . or a day or two, I promise to ask only two or three hours of questions about this year's Equinox with Holly.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - I love the jello cups - great idea!

We carved our pumpkins last night too, and then set them out on the back pateo.  I'm surprised they didn't blow away last night, with the winds howling around the house.  Sandy is still having a profound effect, even for those of us this far inland.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."