Masters Running

Tuesday 2/12/19 (Read 44 times)

SteveP

AnneB, I'd like to offer heartfelt condolences for the loss of Gibson. The little furballs get under our skin.

Coastwalker cooks up 6.3 early miles.

C-R has 5 feel good miles.

The rain takes a break to allow Tramps to get in 3.1.

HollyS does weights, core and a recovery 1.6 on the treadmill.

RunnerKSA beats the rain for 3.2 miles. Then makes the world brighter for two co-workers. Finally, she skips along for another 2.3.Ah kids.... A friend's son had a hard time getting back in because he's a US citizen born in Canada.

Joe618 churns out 5+ on the mill.

Dave59 messes with equipment for between 4 and 4.25 indoor miles.

Fatozzig checks in. I'm sorry about the work issues. We've got a guy who's retiring sometime this year who is finally getting help cleaning up. He's surprised at the number of things he's let fall through the cracks.

A much missed TammyinGP checks in.

TwoCat doubles up the running days and logs yet another 1.5. I love the determination you and Fatozzig have towards your individual recoveries.

Rochrunner, I'm sorry to hear about the back attack. <3.

Evanflein makes the most of a rest day.

Dnaff stretches out with a book after yoga and dog walks.

Bioguy has 4.1 one day closer to retirement miles.

Falconfixer enjoys an easy 5.

Tetsujin209 has 6 snowy ones with the trekking poles. We've had a Class A Bigfoot sighting two miles from my house. I suspect the number of sightings will decrease since the State of Michigan is banning alcohol consumption along a few local rivers. Marijuana has become legal though, so there may be other types of sightings in the future.

Surly Bill sticks to the plan for 4.85 miles.

I put in 4.3 out on the and dark cold roads. The thep was 11F and felt fine. Traffic is really ticking me off. I had a had lamp and a high vis jacket with reflective tape.  I ran 2 plus into the wind along a straight away. The roads are exactly one mile apart. I saw headlights make a turn over a mile away and the person didn't seem steady along the course. (Impaired or distracted?). I was completely off the road and either they plain were distracted or trying to scare me. The passenger side mirror came dangerously close. I got 4.3 for the day and was trying not to be ticked off.

I'm not sure about this morning. It's 24F but the wind is howling and another round of storms are coming in.

SteveP

bioguy

I may be starting to fantasize about retirement, but my financial timeline says six or seven more years.

Happy Darwin Day; we celebrate Charles Darwin's birthday every year in my classroom. America, as a nation, has the lowest percentage of adults who accept the theory of evolution of every industrialized nation with the exception of Turkey.

Delayed opening due to weather; may have to find out if the treadmill in the school weight room works.

Tailwinds!

Thanks, Steve.  Yeah- many times I WISH it was a "friend's son".   I have stories.

3.1 treadmill miles-  raining and flooding outside.  I wasn't feeling it this morning, but got it done.  Sore from Sunday's weight workout, but am going to try to stop by the gym after work.  We shall see.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Nice recap Steve. Ad yes, most drivers are dangerous and don't pay attention especially to runners or cyclists. Be careful our there.

Seems like things are improving on the running side Karen. Also nice to give those promotions. Always fun to make someone else smile.

Anne - others have said it better but I'm so sorry. Our Mickey is 14.5 (rough Collie) and I'm trying to enjoy every minute but I know that day is coming soon. Hang in there.

Another 5 for me with no issues. Need to keep the routine and be smart. Gym tonight with DW.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Stoopid drivers, Steve. Glad you are safe and in one piece.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your dog, AnneB. It's only so hard because they are so good, and at this time, that seems to be a terrible trade-off. Good on you for doing the right thing for your dog, no matter how hard it was.

KSA - he 'mistakenly' rode across the border? If it was so easy to ride across going one way, why didn't he go back at the same place? I'm amazed that he could get back in with a picture of a passport. Good call to stay inside this morning.

Bioguy, do you give out Darwin Awards on Darwin's birthday?

Nice 'issue-free' run, C-R.

All this talk about the use/misuse of wood chippers and chain saws is making me a little nervous.

We're supposed to get a few inches of snow this afternoon/tonight that will change to rain before dawn. Won't that be fun to clean up? I think we've had less snow than Tet so far this year (3"-4" total so far). For being in NH, it's almost embarrassing.

I got out for 6.3 sort-of fartlek RW miles early this morning in 11° temps (just like Steve). My fast miles weren't all that fast, but it's been a while since I've done any speed work so I'm not surprised. Speaking of fast, I watched the women's mile racewalk at the Milrose games: every finisher was under 8 minutes. Yikes!

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Steve--ouch, those close calls can be scary.

Anne--always hard to see them go but sounds like you shared years of joy.

bio--happy Darwin Day!

I think we've had less snow than Tet so far this year (3"-4" total so far). For being in NH, it's almost embarrassing.

I get a very different story from family up north. I'm sure they'd be glad to send some snow down your way. 

Forecast is for cold rain all day long, so I doubt I'll be able to get out today.  Rain is fine. Rain in the 30s, not so much. Tomorrow should be better.

Be safe. Be kind.

...roch//..........years ago, here's how I fixed my Back Pain from Running

http://www.drbookspan.com/AbsArticle.html

......she's trying to sell her books, but the Info is mixed in on these pages

hope it helps

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

45 minutes of tet barefoot power walking (on the beach not roads) 2 egret sightings.  yesterday spent time in St Petersburg at Dali museum and eating Cuban food

today??

good luck to those dealing with cold/rain/snow/sleet issues

((AnneB))

Henrun

((AnneB))

3.2 on the road. There are 2 narrow lanes here between the beach and the inter coastal- one for runner/walkers and one for cyclists. Cars are well behaved but it could be quite horrendous if there were an auto crash- even a minor one.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Marj! Marj! Marj!

Bad girl!

Just when I was regaling with retired high school classmates

down here from up a little southeast of erika-land

how much fun we're having in the snow, now

my feet that I've been making cold

while the rest of me's been havin' fun

want to be with you and Henry.

45 minutes of tet barefoot power walking (on the beach not roads) 

Jay - Seattle average snowfall is 5"/year but most year there’s only a one or two time trace of an inch-or-two that’s gone the next day, or none.  So insignificant that the grass stays green all winter long. What’s your averages?  How are the ski areas doing?
                      After nine days below freezing, temps jumping up to the mid-thirties yesterday with intermittent precipitation are making short work of the accumulated snow in the yard (and everywhere else), . . . unless Friday’s prediction for colder temps and more snow comes true.
                      In the meantime, a couple of hours of j-o’clock X-T’ing produced a two-person snowfort igloo in the front yard but rolling the snow blocks to expose the underlying green grass and spell out the name of the local football team seems to be the new focus of passerby’er photos.

ps - who gave tammy permission take a posting break and lurk?

Unless it was just for Boomers, I think her original

contract requires regular postings.

pps tammy - did you ever get any good snowfalls

like this one when you were up in Seattle?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good morning Masters!! Haven't been posting since being in sunny Florida, but have been enjoying some nice runs!!

6.3 miles Sat morning - was a dummy and didn't look up local races!! There was a 5k right from the rotary park less than a mile from where I'm staying - would have been fun to incorporate that in my morning run!!

7.2 miles yesterday before a fun day up in Boca Grande!!

5.5 today with .25 pickups/.25 recovery x 4 sets in the middle - felt great despite the vacation overindulgences!!

Tonight supposed to be leaving at 7:30 from Ft Myers to Boston - we'll see what the weather does to those plans!! Not looking forward to flying home to snow and ice!! 😫

denise

anneb

Thanks again good people. I'm feeling somewhat better today and have even been looking at old pics. This is an old favorite (assuming I'm able to post it ok). When we lived downtown, we used to take him south to 31st street beach (which is now hugely developed). He had the border collie drive (part smooth coat bc/part lab we think) and was obsessed with fetch and fetch with swimming was cake!

Karen - I really can't imagine riding your bike into Mexico and not realizing it. That is something else!

I managed on 4+ on the mill yesterday and 3 this morning. We have a pretty big slush/ice mess going on so it'll probably be another day or so before I get outside again.

Anne

...roch//..........years ago, here's how I fixed my Back Pain from Running

http://www.drbookspan.com/AbsArticle.html

......she's trying to sell her books, but the Info is mixed in on these pages

hope it helps

Thanks, Tom. It's much better today and is what I call my "Type B" pain that comes on with that sudden twinge and usually doesn't last long, vs. the "Type A" that is due to physically straining it (lifting too much!), comes on afterwards, and takes a much longer time to settle.

anneb, I am sorry to hear about your loss of a beloved pet. I've seen a lot of friends go through this and it is never easy.

My back is better today and I felt clear to work out on the bike (which doesn't involve standing straight up) and did 13+ miles in an hour's worth of riding. I'm not missing anything by not running outside this week since the conditions are pretty grim!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

What a sweetheart, Anne.  roch- glad your back is feeling better.  Tet-  do you wear shoes in the snow?

From his Strava map it looks like he went over and back in close to the same place.  I don't know if he managed to get around the car lanes somehow or what.  Remember- he hasn't actually told ME any of this....  I guess a triathlete with no bags on a fast bike didn't look too threatening as far as letting him back in.  He can talk his way out of almost anything, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

. . .  I guess a triathlete with no bags on a fast bike didn't look to threatening as far as letting him back in. 

Or border patrol figured it was such a crazy story, it had to be true! 

Beautiful pup, Anneb.

A half mile walk after work yesterday + PT, and got in about 40 min of upper body, core, and PT exercises this a.m.  I dialed back my walking to a half mile every other day or every two days, depending how things are feeling.  The mile was just a little too irritating and I'm wondering if it's because there's a small incline I was walking up.  Something to discuss with the PT.  I also measured my 6" step at home (which is actually 5.5") and realized the steps at work are more than 6". Not sure the PT would be too happy with me traversing them normally, so I keep it to a minimum.

I let out some of my frustration to my boss yesterday.  Good thing he's as easy going as he is.  I was very frank and told him I thought I'd done a good job keeping my mouth shut thus far, but the more I dig into her office the more angry I get.  We can't even think of hiring a new secretary until the mess is cleaned up, and that's going to take a couple of months.

Other than that, things are percolating along.  We have a storm blowing in this afternoon, expecting lots more rain.

Stay safe out there, my friends ~~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance