Masters Running

Finally Friday, July 16 Daily Runs and Stories (Read 433 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!!

DH was surprised that I was getting up for a run this morning, seeing as it is Friday.   But seeing as the storms curtailed my run yesterday, I figured I better get out there.    I had hoped for 4 or 5, but had to cut it short to get home to the bathroom.   I guess it was appropriate with all the colonoscopy talk of late.  Smile    I'm due for my 2nd one this year and I'm sure when I go to the doctor next month that will get scheduled.   My mom had colon cancer in 2004, so now I have to get tested every 5 years.  

Anywho - only 3 miles this morning with a low (for me) avg. HR of 150. 

We have named both kitties now ...... Cushman and Vespa.   The way they scoot around, we thought it was appropriate.   No, we don't own an old Vespa, but I'm sure it is in the back of DH's mind now.  

Aamos - that is greata news that Dan did so well with his stress test.   You deserved a day off too.

Where's Timbo been lately??

Happy Friday!

P.S.   The 3rd raccoon is getting set free with the rest of his/her family this morning.   

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Opps.......Two daily's........I will close mine.....Thanks Hopeful

Good morning one and all.

Colonoscopy.......yikes.    I have had this "fun" a number of times over the years.   That "Go-Lytely" does not taste good cold, heated, consumed slowly, gulped down or any other way.   It DOES accomplish the task it is meant to do!!!!    Good luck Tom...........if you drank that stuff, trust me the worst is over.

One funny story from one of my times for this procedure........I was laying there waiting for the doctor and they had started the knock out drug intravenously.    Now understand that I am normally a very non-violent person.  However, as I was laying there ALMOST out, a nurse came up behind me with me laying on my stomach to check on whether I was "out".   It must have scared me in my drug induced haze and I jumped up and took a swing at her!!!!.    That was the last thing I remembered although I am not sure if it was the drug or her return swing that decked me.    Later, in recovery I asked them about it and they would only smile.   I apologized and they just said...."OK".    I wonder if I DID connect?.....lol.

3.7 miles last night in very humid conditions.

Where the heck has half of July gone?

Have a GREAT Friday......I will be reading throughout the day.

Vista

Vista

We had some serious storms overnight, the kind that wake you up and light up the room.  We don't usually get our storms at night.  Most are in the afternoons, but these were real gully washers.

So naturally the humidity was a low 98% this morning.  With temps of 78 that gave me a Doo Doo Point of 78.  JTWILI.  4 easy miles at 9:18 pace without much energy.

Some of you might remember I started playing guitar again, after a long absence from it, a little over a year ago.  The guitar playing has not progressed as well as I expected.  (No one else is complaining though.)  The vocal stuff is great but the old body and mind don't seem to be learning/memorizing the guitar as well as they used to.  That's sort of disheartening and a bit surprising.

Colonoscopy?  [hands covering ears] La la la la la la la la la la la la.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breeger... so American Idol will just have to wait for you

When I had a colooscopy they did one down the esophagus too. I felt like a sish kabob.

We had Breeger humidity this morning (how doe he run in that?). The dewpoint was 75° and temperature 76°.

3 recovery miles (AHR 146) NTWILI

BTW.. I ran 10.7 miles yesterday. No time to post it because I got my laptop back from repairs (hard disk bad) and had to reinstall everything. Took all day. Now to make an image so it will be easier next time.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Hey all !

What a difference a few % points in humidity makes. We're catching a little break. Yesterday I barely made it through 4 miles....today was 7.7 at the fast end of my easy pace.

And TGIF everyone ! I'm thinking a minor league ball game with brats, beer, family and friends is in order.

Here is an interesting thought that I have not heard discussed in here:

I was just reading an article that eluded to the concept that women who  wear heels  a lot  (they  gave an example of 5 days a week @ 8 hours per day) have a thickening of the Achilles tendon that affects running.  Apparently over time the tendon shortens because of the wearing of heels

Here is my question........Do the ladies in here where heels?    What is their experience and thoughts?

Vista
              PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Lower humidity = sproinkiness.

I just did the lifting, stepping, spinning thing.  One of the guys from my gym is doing the Vermont 100 this weekend.  He's looking to finish in 22 hours!  I run marathons, and I think that's crazy!  Wish him well.  His name is Jim Nelson.

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos – yay for Dan!!

Mary – you need to find a convenient potty (or patch of woods) about 2 miles you’re your house...

Joey – I never would have pegged you as prone to violence...

Breger – oddly enough, that’s exactly the temperature and humidity that I woke up to as well....one reason I chose to stay on the TM, with the fan blowing in my face...

Another Exercise TV On Demand morning – Jackie Warner’s 23-minute upper body workout (arms, shoulders, back), followed by 3.5 miles on the TM watching The House Bunny.   Laugh if you must, but it was pretty darn funny...

DH is finally getting some overtime this week, the first this year.  Yesterday, I got a Kohl’s 30% off coupon in the mail.  Coincidence?  I think not.      

I think I’ll go over and sift through the clearance racks tonight.   

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Heels?  What are they?  Most places here don't even require shoes.    On the rare occasion that I do wear them, I find they generally upset my knees.

5 miles today with 4 Yasso 800s jammed in.  Humidity?  About 102%.  You know the kind where the screens are all wet with water but it hasn't rained. Yep, the sheets are wet -- the whole house is damp.  But the fog had rolled in from the ocean so it kept the sun from baking me to death out there.  Only 80ºF when I was running.  I'll take it!!!

Have a great weekend!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

Heels?  What are they?  Most places here don't even require shoes.    On the rare occasion that I do wear them, I find they generally upset my knees.

5 miles today with 4 Yasso 800s jammed in.  Humidity?  About 102%.  You know the kind where the screens are all wet with water but it hasn't rained. Yep, the sheets are wet -- the whole house is damp.  But the fog had rolled in from the ocean so it kept the sun from baking me to death out there.  Only 80ºF when I was running.  I'll take it!!!

Have a great weekend!

Yuck!!! 80F that early in the morning? Where do you live nono? Oh, great run btw.

Aamos, D's report made me smile.

I was wondering about timbo, tramps and Craneium also just this morning.

Perchcreek, 10 miles...hurray!!!! where is that dancing banana when you need it?

Yesterday: 2 miles of walking. 45' of slashying in the pool and a heck of a fun night with my two sons.

Today: 6 miles up the hill.

And that is all folks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Renee the dog

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Cool and smoky here today, but it's supposed to clear out a bit this afternoon. Our humidity is currently 93% but the temp is only 48°. It wouldn't be a bad morning for a run, if you had a smoke filter on. I'm only working a half day today though. DH is in Dallas, visiting a friend after meetings earlier this week, and DS2 is still at soccer camp in Oregon. DS1 is working on a house with a friend... wow, I'll have the house to myself this afternoon! I've got a ton of stuff I'd like to do, but I bet the afternoon will fly by, I won't get half of what I want to do done, and I'll wonder where the day went. Oh well. Better than being at work, I guess.

I used to work at Nordstrom, so yeah, I used to wear heels all the time. I don't recall any problems with my achilles, but I did wear a variety of heel heights throughout the week so I think that helped. I'm sure though, that wearing heels that were probably a little too small (fit my left foot but not my right which is bigger) and being on my feet all day contributed to my current foot problem. If you'd have told me what I was doing would hurt my foot and my running 25 years later, I'd have laughed. What, me run? Nah, and I'll be fine. Ha. One of those "if I knew then what I know now" kind of things.

Not sure if today's plans include a run or not, but a little 3 miler might not be a bad idea. Got an 8k race tomorrow, a fund raiser for the local opera group.

TammyinGP

Joey, I've heard that also - that consistent wearing of heels shortens the achilles. I recall one lady I used to work for when I lived in Seattle, only wore high heels. for years and years and years. she said it was painful for her to be barefoot or walk in flat shoes because her feet were so molded to wearing heels so I'm sure that is what it was - a shortening of her achilles.

I don't wear heels and haven't for several years. When I worked for a firm up in Seattle, I did most days - although a fairly short heel, but where i work now is pretty casual and I don't have to dress up like I did in Seattle. In fact today I'm wearing knee length shorts, flip flops and my eugene marathon shirt.

rest day for me today. 10K trail race/run tomorrow! and it'll be hot too - I bet even at 8 a.m it'll be mid 70's and probably 80 by the finish. heading for 100 today and staying in mid 90's all wknd.

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey Erika - do you get to dress up for the opera run?

Nono - the PBJ family (back when there were just 3 of us) vacationed in Cape May.  It was beautiful - lots of dolphins.  We liked Wildwood as well.

evanflein

PBJ, there is a costume contest! The race is called the Run of the Valkyries, and we take off when a woman dressed like a viking hits a high note on this one piece. It's pretty funny. I won't dress up, but there are some people who do!