Masters Running

Fridaily 4.19.19 (Read 46 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

As much as I'd like to recap and comment on all of yesterday's activities and posts, I don't have time: I have my annual physical early this morning, and have to get on my way in a few minutes. Then I'll go to hand over a couple of vials of blood for testing before finally coming home for some breakfast.

I got up a J o'clock today, and got out for 4.5 very EZ miles in 45° damp temps, under a gauzy fool moon that sometimes all but disappeared behind some drifting clouds. It was chillier than I thought, and I didn't build up much body heat at all with my EZ pace, so, in shorts, shirt and a vest, I wasn't all that comfortable. I had gone back to get some gloves just after I left the house, and I was glad I did, although my hands were still too cold. So it goes.

Have a greta (yes, we still do it, dg) Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

• Good morning Jay and other runners and others to follow.

Call me a runner (2 neighborhood mi) today for the first time since

Saturday's still-tiring 12-hour fun run.
      Same gauzy moon out here on the Pacific Coast
      but 57F and I was out a couple hours after you
      to enjoy it, . . . and went back to zzzz afterwards.

However, clearing skies
      for the weekend should reveal
      predicted meteor showers. I hope so.

Good luck on your physical.
      At this stage, they’re startin’ to kind of scare me.
      What’s your (and everyone’s) resting pulse?
      I’m usually at 54-56, it seems.

KSA/Dave - I like your companies' fitness

programs and incentives. Never heard

of anything like it out here in the  PNW.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Good morning Jay, Tet and all to follow.

"Gauzy" moon!!  I have never heard that term yet knew exactly what you meant.   Nice term, I'll use it!

Mike, sure sounds like a cold to me.  Yuck.  I always recall the old saying: "If you treat a cold, it'll get better in a week but if you do nothing, it'll take seven days." 

We'll be meeting up with Marj and Henry at the corner of Tremont and Boylston in the heart of Boston in a couple of hours.   That will be fun, will try to get a pic and post later our handsome mugs.   More touring today.   Hoping to run along the Charles River tomorrow morning before we fly home on Saturday afternoon. 

Have a greta Friday all!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mike E

MM #5615

Joe—I’ve never known anyone, who has met Henry and Marj, who hasn’t loved them.  You’ll have a great time!

Should that have been, “have met...” and “haven’t loved...”?  Whatever—you’ll love ‘me!

Dave59

Joe - Sounds like a fun day in store.

Lots of things that deserve comments from yesterday and before, but I am so lazy and self-centered there is no way to do it, so I will talk about myself...

3.05 miles this morning. I tried hard to break rule #1 but the light rain at the start of my run stopped before I made it very far.  My surgically repaired right-foot was acting up today more than usual, but I stopped and to flex & stretch different directions and it started cooperating.

(Compartment syndrome in my foot after a 20k in 2010. Podiatrist said I came close to losing part of my foot. I had an excellent family doctor then who recognized instantly that it was something major and put me in the hospital immediately after seeing me. Luckily he didn't say to ice it for a couple days. What I learned: (1) If it hurts, STOP running you idiot. (2) Never ever run in Asics.)

The software project at work continues its crazy pace but I get to play the martyr who works every weekend and never gets a vacation day so that is one positive thing.

Tramps

dg--nope, that was Jay's concert. Good luck on the return to running.

JLynne--sorry, I rarely carry a phone, so no pics. Sort of like below , but better. Did I mention the dogwoods are blooming, too?  (Very nice about your volunteer work.)

Doug--glad it's feeling better. Those freak accidents are the worst.

2cat--very surprised to hear your school or department doesn't have a better cultural orientation program to address these issues (and others) in advance. Pretty standard stuff in most places, isn't it?

C-R--always a sad loss but I bet he had a good life.

stumpy--I don't envy all your travel for work. Yuck.

Good memories--and photos--in that blog post, Joe!

Leslie--I missed the Shorty anniversary; congrats to both of you.

Since people have been mentioning wellness programs...I noticed that one study found little benefit for either workers or employers. Just one study, blah, blah, blah; make of it what you will.

Sometimes, hockey can be very frustrating to watch. That's all I'm going to say about that. 

Very humid and already in the 70s this morning for my 4-miler. Severe storms forecast for this afternoon. Batten down the hatches, I guess.

Be safe. Be kind.

dumb_runner_poster_119.png

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, Jay.  I would have been freezing in shorts in that weather!   Joe, Henry and Marj- enjoy the meetup!

tet-  I grew up as a lawyer in corporate fitness/running programs.  Our Texas Instruments team was national champions at Runner's World corporate nationals for many years.  I helped start the team in 1979 or so.  Texas Instruments was a pioneer in corporate fitness and was one of the first companies to have onsite fitness facilities- and they were good ones!  My next company also had a strong fitness culture and the CEO was my coach.  We won a few things, too.  Corporate running changed a lot as races turned into events and "everybody gets a medal."  Not necessarily a bad thing, because participation increased, but the head to head competition became less meaningful.  My current company running team is likely to have the last person in the whole race- again, I'm glad everyone is out there!  At a couple of the early companies you almost feared for your job if you messed up a race!   It was pretty intense.

I didn't sleep well and didn't feel like going to work on what I consider a religious holiday, so I took a "work from home" day.   I'm really dragging.  3.5 very slow treadmill miles watching the hysteria that is the news these days.

The thing about treating a cold or not  is really more like 3 weeks at our ages..... sadly.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

bioguy

Grocery shopping then washing the vinyl siding. I was incredibly irritated during our science staff professional development meeting yesterday when the outside consultant mocked Gregor Mendel (the discoverer of laws of heredity. I called him out a bit. Worse, the product he is showing us, computer simulate, didn’t use the metric system.

Dave - There was more than one thing in your post that made me .  You're a kick.

TW - Truth! 

Thanks for your comments re The Hub yesterday.  I think he's pretty darn good, too.  He'll be going to Singing Trees (the rehab program he was in) on Sunday to get his 8-year chip.  He's asked me to not go with him, and I understand.  That's his time - time to reflect on where he was and how far he's come.  . . . and it'll give me a few hours to myself at home (sweet!)

Sorry about the pup, Norma.  That's never easy.  All we can do is love the crap outta 'em 'til the very end.

Tet - Jeopardy is on at a weird time at home now.  We never seem to be able to find it, which is too bad, 'cause I really like that show.

I got home from Bonkos too late last night and couldn't drag myself out of bed.  Things were more rambunctious last night with a lot of screaming and yelling.  Cripes, we had a good time! We had a young woman subbing last night who was doing really well during the first half of the game.  At one point we were at different tables and happened to look at each other at the same time and I shot her a quick glaring look.  She visibly flinched and I started cracking up.  Poor thing!  I forget not everyone has been exposed to me.  We made up. 

Okay - It's Friday.  Attack it with a vengeance!

Image result for yay it's friday

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Had a wonderful meet-up with Joe & his DW.  As usual with runners, we covered a wide range of topics.  We parted as they were off to Bunker Hill and area and we are at BSO waiting for a concert to start.  Joe has the picture!

happy Passover and Easter to everyone

marj

......just finished Choir for Holy Week.......whew, 4-days in a row

=======

rainy and cold

........40-min x-bike......

........Happy Easter and Passover.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps-  I agree about the wellness programs being of little benefit as far as improving health and fitness  I've witnessed this for a long time.  The people who want to be healthy and active are self-motivated and little really happens in the workplace to change others.  Weight Watchers at Work might be one exception.  I've seen some success there for people.    I view the wellness initiatives and facilities as a nice personal benefit.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

. . couldn't drag myself out of bed.  Things were more rambunctious last night with a lot of screaming and yelling.  . . .

you'd think I'd learn to stop skimming so quickly and read more thoroughly. Had to do a double take for it to sink in that the yelling and screaming was from Bonkos  

another hot one today, so I might run this afternoon. or I might not. who knows.

Tammy

Dave59 what is compartment syndrome?

Tramps we do provide an extensive warning to students about plagiarism during orientation. The students in my class that plagiarized are attending school in Europe. They take my class via a video hookup.

Tramps I cannot say that I am  surprised that the study found wellness programs do little good. Figuring out how to get people to change their behavior is apparently not easy.

I did my first 7 mile run post surgery! Mile splits were pretty decent. Overall not bad.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/