Masters Running

Weds 2/25 Masters Daily (Read 514 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...been at work for an hour already, and thought I would start us off. What's up with the different - dark blue look here, hard for me to see anything without squinting...I can't even see where I log my run at.... I hope it don't stay this way. Been in a big funk latey...long story I won't bore ya with (nothing to do with running or my foot)....sorry Holly Just not myself right now, and not in the mood for anything funny or goofy... like I normally add, sorry. 8.5 easy miles - 1:10:25 - 8:18 ave pace. Hope you all have good runs and a good day. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice run Tim. Your easy is my Tempo day. Yesterday's run went so well that I decided to go ahead and run some Tempo miles today. So 8 miles overall in 1:06 (8:16 min/mile) with 4 Tempo miles in the middle. These came in at 7:51, 7:46, 7:34, and 7:26. The plan was targetting 7:59, but I adjusted my target down to 7:45. Everyone have a great day. No Pancakes today. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Holy Crap -- if this is the Master's Eye Test -- I lose! I can't read the forum listing, and I'm not color blind! ETA (Whew -- glad that was a short term thing!) Waiting for the kids to wake up before I hit the treadmill for an easy 3 mi. My cold is wreaking havoc with my sleep, but it is behaving and staying in my head and not moving south, thank goodness. dg, the books I'm reading right now are: ◘ Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, andResults, by Matt Fitzgerald ◘ Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach, by Brad Hudson (with Matt Fitzgerald) ◘ Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes: Taking Traditional Sports Nutrition to the Next Level, by Bob Seebohar I really like the nutrition book, and have spent the most time with it so far. The other two I'm reading now to help customize some of the earlier works (Lydiard) that I read. My life dictates more creativity/flexibility in training that is probably prudent. That's why I picked these books to read now. I do think I can figure out a way to make this all work though. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I am with you Nonoruns....this blue background or this particular hue is tough on the eyes. I am already in bifocals and now I feel like I am driving at night in the rain and squinting to see the lane markers. Running----4 miles at 6 AM, glorious sunrise and 11º (on the way to 40º today)----we still can't see the ground here, but soon, soon. It was a hilly four miler and all was well. Moving up slowly and this will be a 20 mile week. Off to a meeting now, but only a 15 mile drive. Happy Wednesday CNYrunner Go Bill! Sorry about the funk Tim, but glad the foot is okay.
            Good morning everyone. Lots of people up early today. Cross training for me this morning. 5 miles on the eliptical with free weights and ab work this morning. (((Tim))) Hope whatever is making you feel low goes away soon. As Cher would say in the movie "Moonstruck," "snap out of it!" (this was preceded by a slap on Nicholas Cage's face) At least you're running well again. Nono - with young kids, when do you find time to read? And 3 books at a crack! You never stop amazing me... Great tempo workout this morning, Bill. They're predicting another storm here for tomorrow - 6 to 10 inches of wet, heavy snow. Guess I have to unpack the YaxTrax yet one more time... It's Ash Wednesday - for all you catholics out there, how are you fixing your tuna for dinner this evening? Wink
            PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

No running this morning - just a spin cycle and a little fizzy lifting. What should I give up for lent? It's either candies or mayo. Maybe both. The scale says I should.
              dg.

PBJ, definitely give up any candies made of mayo. Byll, you're like the FIRST plan poster boy. They should pay you. Nono, that's a good idea. You definitely need a flexible schedule! The Brain Training book I 've read.. I like it a lot. I'll see if my library has the other 2. Mat Fitzgerald also has a book on nutrition that I think is good. Please keep sharing any tips you come up with! I told you I signed up for one in Oct. didn't I? One reason I'm so bummed that I can't run right now.. but it should be ok. This will be fun. ( won't it?) Jeanne, how is your wrist? Karin, i'm glad all is well! Tim, hope your funk goes away. Up before 4, the plan today was to suck it up & finally try pool running. I think too much ellipticalling could break something other than my mind. Going through the range of motions hurt, so I decided to let it rest for a while, leave work a little early & try it this afternoon. Now I've said it out loud. ack.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning. {{{{Tim}}} Out for 5 Brinkley help me burn off the fat Tuesday calorie miles this morning. A bit warmer this morning at 27° so that made the run a bit more enjoyable. My HR is still up there a bit, but it felt like more of a relaxing run compared to yesterday. 9:52 avg. pace / 165 avg. HR. I am giving up chocolate and tried to finish off the french silk ice cream last night - but there was just too much left, so I guess I'm giving up ice cream too. Cry

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning, all! Whoa - thought I was in the Twilight Zone for a minute - the new look is interesting. Tim - good to see you back - might as well share the reason for the big funk - long stories don't bore us. Thanks all for the virtual hugs and thoughts - I'm touched by the support. Leslie - still chuckling about the nude runner - very cute. Love your profile info. dg - good luck with the pool running. I like it (but then I like the TM too), but I don't have ready access to a pool any more. It does take some work to get the heart rate up, but it is a good workout. Today is a non-running day, so I slept in a bit. Core work and weights and maybe a spin on a bike scheduled for lunch. I wrecked my right hip doing pigeon pose in yoga (I know she said not to do it if it hurt, but I just had to do the pose.......). Then further aggravated it in agility class with Jesse last night. Reminder to self : you don't have the body of a 20 yr-old - stop the abuse!! Good runs, all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Mornin’ everyone. No hangovers today are there? Speaking of drinking, bad news for all you wine-drinking women: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/24/women.cancer.drinking/index.html What is this hard-to-read “new look” everyone refers to? Confused
                      Tramps - you really have gotten a lot faster over the past year. Congrats! Been doing anything different? PJ
                      PJ—thanks; it’s nice of you to ask. FWIW, I guess my changes are basically: (1) more overall miles (surprise!), (2) faster pacing for all types of runs, (3) lots of hills, especially early in the training cycle, and (4) running relaxed; I’ve always been a big music fan and, after I got an iPod as a gift, I discovered that good music helps me run relaxed (and faster) with less effort, especially on long runs and tempo days. BTW, since I’m doing more miles at a faster pace, I’ve skipped intervals for now to help avoid injury. I’ve had a good training cycle but it remains to be seen what, if anything, this will translate into on race day. What are your plans for this year? ETA: Oops, forgot to post run: Easy 5.4 miles @ 8:33.

Be safe. Be kind.

I feel like I am in a fog this morning, I think it is the blue haze. 5 easy miles for me this morning, not really training for anything in particular, maybe I need to.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Busy at work so just a drive-by: 5.7 easy-paced miles (ave 10:13) in 29 degrees. Getting a hearing test this afternoon. This will finally answer the question "is everyone in my family mumbling all the time?" Tramps - they're basing that study one what women told them they drank. Can that really be trusted? "One or two drinks" is usually more than that in reality. Or one or two really big drinks. I know my wine glasses hold 12 oz. Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Jlynne, Ha ha -- I've been reading these three books since the New Year (calendar, not Chinese), and am nowhere done any of them. So maybe "read" is an overstatement. Clowning around dg, Anytime you want to "talk" more feel free to email me: noels @ budweiser.com . Yes, it should be fun. Seekrit message to Tramps re: yesterday...I hear ya brother. But I constantly amazed in my life how sometimes all the wrong choices somehow work out right, so I am not overly worried.

Renee the dog

Mornin’ everyone. No hangovers today are there? Speaking of drinking, bad news for all you wine-drinking women: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/24/women.cancer.drinking/index.html
                              Based upon this article, I'm amazed my breasts haven't just spontaneously combusted....

Marathon Maniac #957

BOOM!! Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."