Masters Running

Sunday July 23rd (Read 34 times)

It is me again from Crailsheim Germany. Ingrid and I are having a great time reconnecting with each other. She was the exchange student in 1972-1974 and stayed with my family for three months.

I have wi- fi now here on the plaza. We had our City Band concert this morning and it went very well.

Tetsujin, just so you know I have had a couple of beers here, but the non- alcoholic kind.

Sorry anout the fly by, but no time to follow. We are going to see Albert Hammond perform tonight here.

Have a Greta Sunday everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sounds like a greta time in Germany, Starr! I read your post real fast, and thought you said something about wi-fi on the pizza. 

I realize I have some ketchup to do, so I'm just starting in with yesterday's posts.

Saturday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.7 of 5 planned miles in wilting Tennessee heat wave)

Tomwhite (40 min pool run with letters)

Stumpy (3.6 vacation-starting Maine miles with hillage)

Henrun (2 morning miles with heat and decreasing humidity)

Mike (8 hard miles in H&H)

Holly (14.2 mid-morning miles in H&H)

How'd that block party go, TW? What did'ya eat?

Enjoy your week in Maine, Stumpy. And keep working those hills.

Have a terrific time in Quebec, Roch. I agree that those Canadians are so dang polite and nice!

Good luck to you and your friend on the fundraiser ride, Pfriese. Oklahoma City to Alberta is not a short trip!

Thanks for the "Dunkirk" review, Henrun.

I never did understand Bridge, RCG. When I was a kid, my folks would play, but they'd always argue about one thing or another, so how could that be fun? Glad you are enjoying your new Chromebook.

Mike, didn't you get a lawnmower for Eric? If so, why are you mowing his lawn? Why are you doing it anyway - for the workout?

Have fun with the security cameras, Holly. Our cat vetoed our getting one - some things are best left unseen...

Hi Tet. Glad to see you are still in good form here.

I haven't seen your posts yet, Trekkie, but welcome to the asylum!

We got back from our vacation late yesterday afternoon. The last week, we were in Castine, Maine, on Penobscot Bay. One day, we went to Acadia Nat. Park, and got our Old Farts lifetime passes to all National Parks for $10, before the price goes to $80 near the end of this month. While there,we went to the top of Cadillac Mtn and enjoyed the spectacular vistas. We also went on a sailing cruise out of Castine Harbor, climbed Blue Hill Mtn, ate at a favorite restaurant one night, and found a spectacular new restaurant in Stonington on another night. I walked every morning, and was doing well on the hills by the time we left. It was a great vacation, but it was also very good to get home. Of course, the lawn and weeds didn't take any time off while we were away, so I've got a lot of work to do out there today.

8.2 RW miles this morning in 68° temps with a 15+ mph wind from the NE. Whereas there seemed to be a hill around almost every corner in Maine, I have to search them out here. But I found a couple.

Have a greta Sunday!

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Welcome back Jay!  We sure did miss you!

Mike, didn't you get a lawnmower for Eric? If so, why are you mowing his lawn? Why are you doing it anyway - for the workout?

Yes, I did.  Unfortunately, Eric took the lawnmower with him to visit a friend in a town about 1 1/2 hours away and left it there.  Please don't ask me why he had the lawn mower in the car...and please don't ask me why he left it there...because I have no idea.  Anyway--we need to make arrangements, now, to go and pick it up.

Okay--gotta get to church.

...mornin' guys......

......jay//..........it hit 105 HeatIndex..........so I had HotDogs and Baked Beans

they stayed nice and warm

......off to knoxville,

hopefully get in some PoolRuns,,,,,hip is still bugging me

..............good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like you had a great time!

Starr - your trip sounds wonderful as well!

5.7 miles for me this morning in 74 and 87%.

Afterward I spent 45 minutes weeding in the garden, filled a trash can with weeds, and hardly made a dent in the problem.  These rainstorms we have been having are making the weeds grow exponentially. I think maybe next year I will forego a vegetable garden.  I just don't seem to have the time to keep up with the weeding between the garden and the flower beds, and we are hoping to rebuild the deck next summer.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

12.1 miles on the Lehigh River Gorge trail in Northeastern PA.  Cloudy but humid.  Beautiful trail but pretty isolated.  Got it done.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

5 trail miles with some friends this early morning.  They were slow but fun.  I am tired of this summer weather already.  Yoga this afternoon.  Hope I don't fall asleep 

Trails Rock!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good Afternoon!

Welcome home Jay. Your vacation sounds like it was a nice diversion from the everyday. We've been to Acadia National Park. Loved it. How much of a senior does one have to be in order to qualify for the National Park discount?  I think I need to re-up soon. However, I love national parks so much, I don't mind paying full price for the yearly pass.

Jay, bridge is a good game. You have the luck of the cards but, you also use your brain to determine what your bid should be and you have to be able to play your cards right!  We like to play euchre or hearts or Oh Hell, too. But bridge? Bridge is the gold standard in card games. Heck, we liked the game so much, we named our first born...

Speaking of the offspring, our grandson was here for a little while this weekend. We all went to 1100 mass together. I had a little boy behind me tap me on my elbow during the eucharistic prayers. (I was holding the baby at the time). The little boy said, "I think he has the hiccoughs". It was so sweet and he was so genuinely concerned. A little while later the same little fella says to me, "I think he is trying to grow some hair on his head."   Dear gs loved the attention.

KSA, what an athletically gifted family you are!  Thank you for sharing the triathlete information. One of my former W&M students is a top amateur. I think. I haven't kept up with him very well. However, I did run into him on the trail in the spring. He recognized me and stopped to chat!  I taught him physiology lab in the Kinesiology dept during his freshmen year. He became a PE teacher at a local elementary school. He is a good role model for his students.

Hot and humid. (Currently 98F)

Leonidas and I walked the Winthrop loop. He had two number twos. I got half my steps in for the day. Productive walk.

We begin our journey to Juneau on Wednesday. There are only 5 people currently signed up for my decimarathon. 3 of them are in the same family.

Oh well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Buehrle- That's cool about running into your former student.  I do think it is good for kids to see athletic adults.  So many are not.....

As far as our family, I'm most proud of my daughter because she honestly thought she was in the wrong family growing up.  She was a musician and didn't think she had any athletic ability.  She has only been really running sine 2010 and has done really well.  She's not her brother, but she's gotten so much out of it and achieved her own success!  There are so many lessons to be learned from sports- good and bad.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 6 miles after church, mowed the lawn, put some rabbit repellent down and, now, since Debbie is out running errands, I'm going to go lie down for a little bit.  Hopefully, she won't catch me.

See ya!

evanflein

Quick fly-by post. I've spent too much time on the computer already, will ketchup later.

Gold Discovery Run is a challenging race, for sure. The first 7 miles are trails with some pretty technical parts where the old mining roads have almost washed out completely. Well, actually, they have and we run around the ruts. Then a mile of dirt road that seems to go forever, then onto paved roads in a hilly area with some 2+ mile stretches of screaming downhill. It's a great race though, and can be a humbling experience. If you want to know more about it, and there's a profile picture, here's the web site. I know twocat gets a kick out of that elevation profile.

I wanted sub-2:20, but just missed it. 2:21:10, 7th woman and 1st in age group (out of 2...). I think my pre-race strategy of dancing till late at my high school reunion needs to be reconsidered.

Marathon Maniac #957

Speaking of the offspring, our grandson was here for a little while this weekend. We all went to 1100 mass together. I had a little boy behind me tap me on my elbow during the eucharistic prayers. (I was holding the baby at the time). The little boy said, "I think he has the hiccoughs". It was so sweet and he was so genuinely concerned. A little while later the same little fella says to me, "I think he is trying to grow some hair on his head."   Dear gs loved the attention.

Adorable!

Erika - Well Done!  And especially after an evening of dancing.  I heartily approve, and am glad you have your priorities straight...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein I second what Holly S. wrote.

buehrle when I run into people that were former students of mine I can never remember that let alone their name. How do you do it?

I did not run today, just an hour on the elliptical. Good enough for the  coastwalker Monday recap and we all know that is all that counts! Oh yeah, welcome back coastwalker. Even though I suspect you are sorry to be back. This making a living stuff sure does get in the way of a whole lot of fun.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, welcome home!  Sounds like a great vacation.

Erika, that race looks fun! And net downhill!

RCG, how nice that you spent some time with your grandson!  I'd love to see a picture of him!

We went on a 6 day camping trip with DD and DSIL to a state park about 3 hours northwest of here.  Not spectacular views, but pretty, and we did some hiking up to alpine lakes, and some swimming.  Nice to be out in nature for a while, too!

Today I did a bunch of laundry, and ran 5.3 miles around the hood, after the afternoon thunderstorms passed.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Welcome back, Jay.  We barely made it through the week without you starting us off each day.