Masters Running

Sunday, 5.8.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

As a follow up to the "Where Have All The Runners Gone?" article I posted a few days ago, in which it said that millennials may not be participating in competitive sports because they are afraid of failure, I found this article:  http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/06/476884049/how-to-teach-children-that-failure-is-the-secret-to-success

(I just wrote a long-version RR from my half yesterday, but when I hit the "Post" button, it instead took me to the Master's 'Forum' home page, and all that I had written was lost. I can't do all that again, so here's the short version.) The weather for yesterday's Big Lake Half was overcast, temps in the upper 40s, and damp but without rain. I felt OK in my warm up, and so decided to do the race. Andy (Milktruck) passed me in the first 1/2 mile, saying that he arrived just in time for the start. I had a decent race, but was a minute off my time from last year. I finished 6/9 in my AG (no walking div.) and with an 11:00 pace. After the race, I gave Andy my 'free beer' tickets 'cause I had to get home and get cleaned up so DW and I could go on a Kitchen Tour in Portsmouth that a friend had helped organize as a fundraiser for the local Music Hall. The kitchens were each unique and spectacular. But taking the tour meant about 3 more miles of walking and lots of up and down stairs - just what I needed.

This morning, I went for a very easy 2-mi. walk, just to get my legs loose enough so I could do some more good stretching.

Have a greta Mother's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - you said you weren't going to do that anymore.

Let's petition for a save button.

Easy rest day after yesterdays seven mile reminiscence hike

with fellow ski team members from those days up to the old ski

area that isn't used anymore before today's low tide beach combing with GS.

It's his mother's day present to my DD, . . . and she loves it as much as I do. yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Tet, you put words together really good like.

4.5 along the Pithlachascotee River.

SteveP

...just Lurking,

but Jay's Article is Spot On

Claire is having Field Day next week,

and didn't enter some races because she said ''there are a lot of kids faster than me''

I told her I had raced for 10-years and never won anything

''Can you guess why??'' I asked

''Because you Loved it??'' she said

she just entered two races

.=============

..............ps...........they just found two ticks on me when I got home>>>>>>>>>perfect

.............Good Running and Happy Mothers Day

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers,aunts,cousins,nieces and women care givings because we know in takes a village
            to raise a child.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Claire is having Field Day next week,

and didn't enter some races because she said ''there are a lot of kids faster than me''

I told her I had raced for 10-years and never won anything

''Can you guess why??'' I asked

''Because you Loved it??'' she said

she just entered two races

I don't even know what to say about this...it's just perfect, the way it is...

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't even know what to say about this...it's just perfect, the way it is...

I thought so too....

Tet - what a wonderful way to remember your coach....

Jay - nice racing and kitchen walking.

Steve - I can't say that word.

RunnerClay - nice to see you stopping by here.

Both of my kids actually remembered to say, "Happy Mother's Day," which I guess is the best I can expect from teenagers. 

18.1 miles for me today in 47-53ish degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I have been enjoying this weekend's posts. Thanks for sharing.

tomwhite, Love the Claire stories. Hate the tick stories. I have pulled off 2-3 ticks this season, so far. From myself. DS2 has pulled a few off the dogs.

Nice long run, Holly!

Today has been the perfect Mother's Day.

I slept in a little bit because Ralph got up and took care of the dogs. Or so I thought.  As I came downstairs, I noticed some well formed dog turds in the foyer. I stayed on the stairs and said, "Veta pooped in the foyer!"  And Ralph hollered from the family room, "But I took her out!"

I hollered back, "Did she poo?"  He replied, "NO."  I repeated, "Veta pooped in the foyer!"  He repeated, "But I had her out." And then he got up and announced, "She poo-ed in the kitchen, too."

I stayed on the stairs until I heard Ralph cleaning up the kitchen and watched him clean up the foyer.

You see? My rule is: One must keep walking Veta around until she poos. If it is the first visit outside after spending all night in her crate. She always needs to "Go".  Butt remember. She is well over 16 years old. She needs to move around a little bit to get going.

I did not feel badly about having Ralph clean up Veta's Mothers' Day presents. He had not followed the rules.

Ralph made up for this infraction by letting me know that the puppy-sized wood roach I had seen on Thursday but, was unable to eliminate from the kitchen, had checked into the motel he had set out last night. Happy Mothers' Day to me.

I spent the better part of Wednesday cleaning the downstairs. First I vacuumed the floors. Then I used the Shark (steam cleaner) on the floors. Then I got the Old English out, got down on my hands and knees, and polished the foyer floor.

So I was particularly discouraged when I saw the gigantic winged amber brown wood roach on the lower kitchen cabinet on Thursday. My friend told me that these creatures are not the kind that travel in groups, they are loners. And. They usually live in the woods. Our yard has woods around the perimeter. AND. They come out of the woods when it rains a lot. We have had torrential rains lately.

That was all before 0800.

Trying to make my day very special, around 1000, Ralph said, "Let's go for a bike ride!"  I said, "Sure!  I would love that. Let's ride all the way to Charles City Courthouse and have lunch at the cafe."  He said, "Good plan!"

We did not make it out of the neighborhood when he noticed that the pedal he had "fixed" was starting to unscrew.  His pedal would certainly fall off soon and the threads had been stripped. So we started to go back home when I said, "I think I will just go for an out and back ride."  He said he probably would not be able to fix the bike and he encouraged me to go ahead and bike alone.

So off I went to ride out to Charles City County. It was a very pleasant ride and I noticed I had ridden out over 15 miles. I didn't want to eat lunch by myself and I hadn't packed any snacks! And the cafe was still a few miles out the path. So I sat on a bench. Drank some water and felt a little sorry for myself that I was hungry. But then. I looked around and noticed how beautiful Charles City County was! (see @blbuehrle on instagram).

The wind was at my back as I easily pedaled my way back to the bridge that took me out of Charles City, over the Chickahominy River and back to James City County and then home.

31 miles. 15 mph average pace.

While I was away, Ralph cut the grass and did some other chores. When I got home, he built me a grilled cheese sandwich out of hot dog buns, pepper jack cheese and turkey. And we had Claussen dill pickle slices.

Happy Mothers' Day to all you Mama's out there!  Hope your day is as wonderful as mine has been!

(DS2, Stretch, lives at home. He said Happy Mother's Day. He did not get me a card because that aisle was too crowded at Target yesterday. But he did give me a big bag of sweet and sour Skittles.  DD just called me. DS1? Well, he is a wildcard. He could call. It could happen!)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

SteveP

Holly, it's where the early Tarzan movies were filmed. Kayaking through there is........ exciting. A snake had popped it's head out of the algae covered water. Looked around. Then slipped back under.  I didn't skinny dip.

I'd like to thank everyone who has wished me a happy Mothers Day. It's hard being a single Mom. Especially when you're a married man with out any bio-kids.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya all!

such a fun weekend (well, except for the roach).....love the photo marj!  sweet kiddoes.  And tw's post is one of the best.

Happy Mothers Day to the moms!  Enjoyed running this am with several, altho I end up with some of the mid-speedy boys at the end.

Nice racing you speedy peeps.  Yeah, really spinach--I ran a couple of  half marathons in 1:36 in the fall of 2014, then I got hurt, so those "slow" days are behind me.  Now I'm happy with a tortoise finish under 1:50.

You're a good man Steve.  Hope Dad adjusts and recovers well.

wow, Holly, 18!  Laughed at your depiction of Mothers Day, also at Rosie's.   (and I love pickles with my sammich)

So I actually consulted a marathon training schedule, the one on the BAA website.  It recommended 14-16 miles two weeks before a marathon, so I ran 16 yesterday and 14 today.  We continue to have cooler than usual temps, so I just tooled around Lakes Park and my neighborhood Saturday, since I didn't start until 7 am--and I still wasn't drippy at the end.  This am did a 10 miler including one RT over the bridge that got progressively faster (see above ref. to the boys).   Then it felt so cool still (we started at 6) that I ran 4 cool down miles so DH could sleep in a bit more.

I have no comment, diamond wise, but for the observation that a certain NY team had 10 players on the field Friday night (that one in the mask behind the plate.....)

grins, even tho!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I did not feel badly about having Ralph clean up Veta's Mothers' Day presents. He had not followed the rules.

Ralph made up for this infraction by letting me know that the puppy-sized wood roach I had seen on Thursday but, was unable to eliminate from the kitchen, had checked into the motel he had set out last night. Happy Mothers' Day to me.

Your posts really are a pleasure to read.

Well, I did not accomplish much today, other than my long run.  There was a short nap, a trip to Kroger to snag the last loaf of Jalapeno Cheese Bread and some vegetables, and a trip to Kohl's because I realized my $20 Kohl's cash was going to expire today.  I found a pair of jeans for myself, but they were buy one get one half off. So, $40 if I bought one pair, $60 if I bought two.  Since DD has outgrown her jeans (No, Mom, they're SUPPOSED to be this tight!), I bought her the second pair, knowing she would likely hate them. And she did.  Oh well.  We will go back and see if we can find a pair to exchange them for.  Or, I will simply pay $40 for one pair of jeans. Less the $20 Kohl's cash though, so I am happy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Mother's Day to All

MOMs Run was a success and I hope they let me organize next year. I thought that I did quite well - I cheered on the kids, gave out lots of hot dogs, ran, and drank beer. All good fun!

Dog schedule/walk infractions = turds in the house. So as to avoid such occurrence, we are heading out the door.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I just wish that Mothers Day was NOT Mothers Day.

If I ruled the world, today would be Women Who Share Their Love and Kindness With Children Day

I know that Amy has given her heart and soul to the children of the world. She gave up a year of her life to teach small children in Mississippi. That is "Motherly" love for sure.

And I KNOW that Kirsten La Tee is a most wonderful Auntie to her nieces and nephews (both genders, right?)  And I know she does good for children every day at her job as a research RN.

And SteveP?  Don't even get me started...

Happy Day to All!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Very scary here. I think there is a large glowing alien ship in the sky that has sucked all the clouds from the planet. Upon seeing it, I did the only thing I could think of and run away. But try as I might for 5 miles it followed me all over the place!

We interrupt this daily with a news flash: The Connecticut state area has not seen the big yellow disk in the sky for several weeks now. Its sudden reappearance has caused widespread panic. People think it is an alien attack ship. In no case should you call the big yellow disk in the sky by the three letter word you are used to using! Initial reports did so and the population thought that meant it was the offspring of the mother ship, causing yet more panic. It also led to the burning of several greeting card stores when internet rumors indicated "mother's day" was the secret code for launching the attack. If you see a panicked person from Connecticut, try to keep them calm until nightfall. Government psychologists believe the big yellow disk's disappearance may calm people down. We now return you to the regular master's running daily.

coastwalker yep, RA needs a save button.

tomwhite just lurking requires not posting. You are hereby not just lurking. Also, you are very lucky Claire is not the wiseguy I was as a kid. Because you love it would definitely not have been my obnoxious response! Good for Claire.

buehrle great story! The dog rule is a real stitch!

AamosY somehow I suspect you have marathon training down pat, BAA training plan or no training plan.

Holly S. good luck with the jeans.

tetsujin209 just a reminder, "No running in the rain!"© Really, there are no excuses for breaking an iron clad rule like that. 

TammyinGP congratulations on getting nailed! Oh, err, that did not come out right . . . 

evanflein yes, I hear training for a distance can make a difference. 

spinach boy I wish I could pull off a time like that when I was trying! Congratulations on the HM.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat, now that was funny!  Jay, I sometimes type my reply in Word, then just copy & Paste. Sorry that happened to you again but congratulations on a fine race even though it was slower than last year.  The Kitchen Tour sounds interesting. Tet, you sure do get up to Erikaland quite often, hiking with GS sounds lovely.  Holly, all of my kids remembered to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day too, that was nice to talk to all of them.  DS asked if I got the card he sent, no I didn’t, oh I didn’t mail it yet!   Of course, DD1 is still living with us so it would have been odd if she would have forgotten.  After 4 months of being here nothing has changed much. She hasn’t looked for any kind of job, and probably wouldn’t be physically able to go back to nursing until she loses quite a bit of weight. I wish I knew how to get her to make a doctor appointment for a physical/mental checkup.  I am quite sure she has depression and think medication would help. She’s been walking almost every day for the last week with my SIL who has a good rapport with her,,, it is a start.

Hi SteveP, how is everything going with your dad? Rosie, I would freak out at seeing any kind of roach! Glad it is in a new hotel.  I hope the sun shone on everyone’s day.  Mine started out with a 11 mile run (11.03 actually) before church.  Twice around the lake taking the campground loop was just right, just a quick break at my house for water and a potty break.  I saw many carp spawning near the surface of the water. What a lot of commotion they make.  Also saw our wood ducks down by the beach, well I think they are ours. Oh, that pair of birds duck/goose/birds are still hanging around. I suppose the one with the broken wing will not survive, so sad.  MrStarr had some work on an apartment to do (cleaning) so I offered to help with that.  The rest of the day was spent lollygagging around on the pontoon reading a book, talking to my kids and enjoying the sunshine.

Almost time to go watch The Good Wife season finale. Also time to look for my Kohl’s cash and order something online, thanks Holly!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich