Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 8.20.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    Dave (5.33 run/walk mile with humidity)
    Tomwhite (40 min Poolrun + 3 X 10 min + 2 hours on a stopped little pedal thing)
    RunnerKSA (8.2 miles at altitude with walk breaks on dirt roads & trails)
    Spacityrunner (5.3 hot, humid morning trail miles with hillage)
    Fatozzig (45 morning min of core/ST with old “Law & Order&rdquoWink
    TeaOlive (6 canal miles with complaining DH)
    Catwhoorg (12.7 miles, with 20 min at tempo, + lawn mowing)
    Holly (4.5 miles + 20 min of weights & core)
    Twocat (8 mile race with legs giving out)
    Mike (10.1 miles, including 3 with GD, 1 with slower girls)
    Evanflein (5K race on tired legs in misty/chilly weather)

StarrRuns (4.7 round-the-lake miles)

Sorry about the doc’s report, Dave. I hope the treatments help, when you need 'em.

Thanks for checking in, RCG.

I’m glad that stoopid little pedal thing helps your hips, Tomwhite.

RunnerKSA, I though we all were supposed to avoid falling, perhaps for many different, but good reasons.

Nice to have a spider web-free run, Spacityrunner.

It’ll be nice to find out what is getting out of whack, Fatozzig.

So your DH is a runner too, TeaOlive? Did his complaining slow you down, or make you go faster?

Cat, I guess I missed what happened to DW that she needs a boot, etc. I hope she’ll be OK.

I know what you mean about some people who could use some spine, Holly.

Twocat, in my experience, nobody likes going up hills, so if you can master them, it should give you a huge advantage. But it will take some work…

Glad you had a good time running with GD, Mike, even if she didn’t have such a good time. But at least she toughed it out (as you would).

Some races are like that, Evanflein. I agree that too much yard work the day before a race rarely pays off. Good luck on today’s 20.

Great day of hiking with the Easy Pacer, Mariposai.

Welcome back Starr - glad you got your run in, and enjoyed the comedy show.

For dinner last night, DW grilled a peppered pork loin, and I made a melange of white and red potatoes, baby Brussels sprouts, white and red onions and (wait for it&hellipWink red and striped beets. With some pinot noir, it was a very tasty meal.

4.2 very EZ RW miles this morning in 66° with barely a breeze and 96% H. It felt like there was no air there, and that I was just going through the motions to get it done. This morning DW and I are going kayaking on the coast at New Castle harbor (very pretty place), and then I'll get to do some more yard work and lawn mowing this afternoon. And maybe we'll have fresh guac and drinks on the deck as the day (and we) wind down.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and everyone.   Good wishes to everyone struggling with injuries and other setbacks.

5.5 miles today- still in the thin air.  This was mostly on a trail and narrow dirt road, but fairly flat.  I passed through a staging area for a mountain bike enduro event which looked like a big deal.  I'm sure they were impressed by my blazing speed as I ran through!  Husband is going out mountain biking today.  Hope he returns unscathed.  He usually doesn't.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Good morning  Jay and RunnerKSA!

Good luck to Erka on her 20 miler today.

Good luck to Twocat on his hill training.

No running for me today. My hiking yesterday  trashed my legs. This loop is one of the hardest loop to hike around here, but it is one of the preatiest one as well. Later we will be going river drafting with some friends. It should be a blast.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Happy kayaking, Jay.

Mari--is "river drafting" a thing?  Or is that a typo?

Hope you get good news from your consult, Dave.

51 miles with TriBee.  The first half was my "hillypalooza" running route; a relentless series of hills. Not fast but a good workout, I think.

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Checking in. After finishing up my bike ride to Wyoming last week, I flew to Seattle for youngest grandson's birthday. I was able to get in 1 run while up there what with family activities. This Friday, I flew to Denver for wife's best friends birthday party. We're sticking around here for the eclipse before heading back home. So Tuesday, once home, I hope to get back on a regular running schedule.

Henrun

3.1 slow miles on a warm morning with lower humidity. Beautiful sunny afternoon and I'm mostly reading theSunday papers before we head into  Harvard Square for the 2nd day in a row. Yesterday we went for dinner and a play. Today we're meeting friends for dinner and they're going to the same play. We share subscriptions to that theater with them but they couldn't make it yesterday. So, we'll get home earlier than last night.

Dave, I have similar back problems (yes, aging arthritis). Several years ago I saw a physiatrist who suggested PT and Lidocaine patches for pain. I've continued to do my stretches and rarely use painkillers (but have used the Lidocaine or heat, especially on long car or plane trips) and so far, it seems to be working. Surgery is always a last resort. Good luck.

Marathon Maniac #957

No running for me today. My hiking yesterday  trashed my legs. This loop is one of the hardest loop to hike around here, but it is one of the preatiest one as well. Later we will be going river drafting with some friends. It should be a blast.

That sounds like such a great weekend!

There are some great workouts going on here lately- well done folks!

Mike - too funny!

Erika - we tend to poo poo 5K race prep, but those are some of the toughest races, since we run them at a high effort.

Off to a friend's cookout now, then later will be working from home, trying to get ahead on the work week.

18.2 miles for me today.  It started out pretty well, but the heat and bright sun made the last hour tough.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Three miles this morning - No complaining.

steph  

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not much (read any) running for me in the past week and a half.  Mostly travel and guest activities (they're enjoyable at least).  But I made it out for a whopping 2.15 miles this morning.  What passes for my fitness sure goes away faster than it came.

FIL's last day is today and DW will drive him back home to Rochester starting tomorrow.  She'll at least be able to visit with her favorite cousin while there, and then fly back on Thursday.  After which, she will need several days of decompression time.  FIL is 94 and she and her two brothers are just about to the point where they are going to more strenuously suggest that it's well past time to consider some sort of assisted living arrangements.  The time up here in close proximity has brought home how unsteady he is.  Don't envy them that chat.  Of course, When DW and I were doing some looking for possibilities, we kept saying "This looks like a pretty sweet deal for the price--nice apartment, a bunch of meals, all maintenance, valet parking.  WE should move in here". 

I felt like I could ALMOST compete with Jay and TC's menus last night--Mojito lime chicken kabobs with a variety of grilled veggies, Caesar salad, and broccoli cheddar noodles (cheated a bit on those).  DD and BF are here for a week, too, and he's never been to Maine before.  So we'll suffer through with a lobster dinner tonight.

Nice running and races since I last came out of lurk mode.  Oh, and welcome to TeaOlive, too.  Second recent Atlanta area joiner.  You must know Catwhoorg, right?

Jay--I think the serious trail runners don't take falling down as seriously as most.  Price of doing business.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

My goal is to keep running every day for as long as that makes sense. I.e. Unlike someone in my former women's forum, if I am seriously injured or ill, my streak ends.  That will help me be able to keep running for many years, hopefully.    Since I have bone density issues, I am susceptible to fractures if I fall.  I've been lucky so far and haven't broken anything in my running falls (and I've had some beauties!), but running on trails with rocks and stumps is sort of asking for it.   I fell twice in the Whistlestop Marathon in 2009 because it was on this rail trail that had a lot of rocks and things.  It wasn't bad, but for me it was.  I cracked some ribs and busted my lip, but still finished with a BQ.  You didn't get the race shirt unless you finished, and I wanted that shirt!   I couldn't lift my suitcase after the race due to the ribs, but I got that shirt (and won my age group).  Those were the days!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Hi all,

haven't checked in the last coule days.

Yesterday I ran 10.5 mile. I was alone which unfortunately makes it easier for me to take too many walk breaks, but it was still a nice run.  Another 2.4 this morning at home with the dogs. But now it's smokey here with wind shifting and various fires blowing our way. None are that close to us, but we are kind of surrounded. it is actually amazing we haven't had worse air than we have. usually in the "moderate" level and maybe just partial days, but then seems to blow out later. 

Tomorrow morning starts XC practice. 7:00 am practices until school starts which is after Labor Day. this will probably be the only morning practice I'll go to until the regular season starts up. Already have 18 kids signed up, which is great considering last year, we only had about 7 at the start of the season, but then added a few more in the first few weeks of the season. May have ended up with about 14 altogether. 

We have our solar eclipse glasses (and I double checked the numbers on the glasses to make sure they were certified safe) and will sit in my front yard and watch it. Won't have full eclipse here though.  So much of central oregon to the north us is smoke filled skies, not sure all these hundreds of thousands of people that have flocked to Oregon and reserved hotels/campsites a year in advance will really get the full experience they are hoping for.

Tammy

afternoon...

99 here without HeatIndex

45-min CR at Y Soccer Fields.......

==========

my hometown of Hopkinsville, Ky

is one of the epicenters for the eclipse tomorrow

they're expecting 100,000 people////////

since

they are ALSO

Clipping them $400 for the rooms,

this might be

the only Eclipse with an After-Party

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

We're supposed to get 90% eclipse but I neglected to get glasses.

Scheduled to be partly cloudy here anyway.

steph  

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Whew!  This has been a long, busy weekend.  I'd be glad it was over but, tomorrow, is Monday.  I don't like Mondays.

Our pastor retired, today.  So, I wrote a poem for her which I read at the end of the service.  I didn't realize our district superintendent was going to be there...the D.S. is like the boss of all the pastors in a certain area of the state.  But the poem included a couple of "controversial" verses and I wasn't sure if she would appreciate them.  After the service, she called me over.  I was thinking, "Uh-oh, I'm gonna be kicked out of Church."  Nope--she wanted me to email her a copy to send to the bishop...she said he'd get a kick out of it.  I'm not out of the woods, yet...

I went 6.9 miles, today...it went okay.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

spacityrunner

No run..hiked instead.  Hiking in Arkansas in the dead of summer is not for the faint of heart.  Had a lot of fun today despite the limitations out there.  Hot, humid, buggy, spider webby (big honkers) and with leaf on the views not so great.  I'll stick to cooler weather before heading out again... now I'm just hoping I don't break out in some kind of plant dermatitis 

Trails Rock!