Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 9.6.17 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.4 pre-work miles & 2.1 post-work TM miles for stupid streak preservation)
    Tet (5 smoky, hazy gauzy morning miles)
    Rochrunner (18.6 bike miles with the Tuesday group, with some wetness)
    Tomwhite (45 min X-bike)
    Tammy (6 morning smokeless TM miles at the gym)
    Twocat (11 pre-eating, overpass-free miles)

Catwhoorg (EZ 5 lunchtime miles + 20 EZ post-work bike miles)

I’m glad you have a healthy perspective on your streak, RunnerKSA.

Sorry about the smoke and haze that ruined your moonrise swim, Tet. You sure have interesting dreams… Enjoy the ‘real’ blackberries.

Nice ride, Rochrunner.

Sorry about the back spasm, Tomwhite. Glad it passed. Yeah - Fun People - how's your face? How was pizza night?

Tammy, I’d like a snack/treat too!

Twocat - we’re working hard to avoid having to take down a tree for our storage shed. Nice run, and big congrats on eating again!

Good timing on getting the kid inside, Cat.

We're expecting rain for much of today and tomorrow, but I beat it on my workout this morning. I went 6.7 RW fartlek miles at J o'clock in 66° with lots o' ground fog at the coast that felt better than the mugginess at home.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Gorgeous morning even though I didn't want to get out of bed.  3.1 miles done.  Amazing how much traffic increases with school in session (we started a few weeks ago).    Someone with whom I work closely (not in my department) is going to lose their job and I'm sad about it.  Employers expect a lot and sometimes it's hard for people to deliver no matter how hard they try.

2.1 treadmill after work  so 5.2 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

KSA: An intentional 5K distance or it just worked out that way? I sometimes stretch my runs a bit to make them come out even, such as stretching 6.1 miles to 6.2.

Anyhoo...lots of new exercises for me (there seem to be an endless variety) but no cycling since Sunday.  However, I did get my new clipless pedals and figured out how to install them last night. I hope to get to try them on the trainer tonight. When I go out on the road with them for the first time, I plan to alert the local ER in advance.

Tramps, what type did you get? SPD or serious roadie pedals? In any case, make sure that you set them well on the loose side. Most of us generally don't pedal strongly enough to pull them out accidentally, and you really want to be able to be able to unclip in a hurry (it takes some practice to learn to react automatically). I'll refrain from retelling what happened to someone who couldn't unclip in time on my June trip, but just yesterday one of our group had a front tire go flat suddenly and went down pretty hard.

Taking a day off while waiting for a painter to (maybe) show up, so my main exercise will be mowing the lawn. No excuses for the rest of you!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Tramps, what type did you get? SPD or serious roadie pedals? In any case, make sure that you set them well on the loose side. Most of us generally don't pedal strongly enough to pull them out accidentally, and you really want to be able to be able to unclip in a hurry (it takes some practice to learn to react automatically). I'll refrain from retelling what happened to someone who couldn't unclip in time on my June trip, but just yesterday one of our group had a front tire go flat suddenly and went down pretty hard.

Oops, just realized I posted in the wrong thread. 

I got Speedplay's Frog pedals for pretty cheap since they're essentially discontinued. I figured I'd try them to see if I even liked clipless; if not, I won't be out too much $$$. I went with those in large part because they have lot of heel float, so that should be good for keeping my knee comfortable. Definitely plan to practice on the trainer and then test out on a quiet road before heading out on a regular ride.  I've heard the horror stories.

Be safe. Be kind.

I like to bump up a 10th or so just to add to cumulative miles.  Those 1/10s add up over a year.

mrrun

Tramps - I rode solo with my clipless for many rides to get used to them & to take my foot out easily.  end result - no accidents - knock on wood.  haven't been using them lately because i've been riding my city bike in sandals or sneakers.

ran 3.1 in HHH - actual distance of route to local lower reservoir.  stopped & took some pix as have new phone and needed to test it out.  unfortunately i have no idea how to post pix now that photo bucket is gone (for cheapies like me).  skies have gotten real dark, so rains are probably coming

marj

pfriese

Morning all.

I'm still on my 5 mile run every other day. It was beautiful out for this morning's 5 miles; I really wanted to run longer (& faster) but still behavin'.

Paul

Dave59

With great willpower I stopped at the gym yesterday after a tough day at work.

This morning was 5 miler that felt better as it progressed (which is unusual for me).

Tiny Pic might be a place to try. That is what I used for the race photos a couple days ago. (http://tinypic.com/)

mrrun

thx - it worked using 'direct link for layouts'

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch. Rain was passing so delayed my taking it by ~15 mins and it had gone.

Skipping my ride, legs just need a break.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Cancelled today’s planned fiver in deference to smoke

so thick ash is being deposited all over the place.

Not even a gauze mask helps.

Hope the posies had a better Labor Day weekend hike.

Supposed to clear enough tonight for a rare view

of the northern lights this far south but I doubt it.

Tramps – nothing wrong with the reduced pension

of early retirement, especially if getting to move on

from a dull/boring job with fully vested health insurance

and reduced pension doesn’t matter or,

better yet, a much better job awaits.

Today’s Bing.com pic of the day is from the Dallas Divide

in Colorado in case anyone’s been there.

ps roch - I've never taken running shoes on any

of my trips either, to say nothing of not needing

cycling shoes, special clipless pedals, etc.

Maybe fast exercise does but good exercise doesn't.

Image result for seattle smoke september 2017 images

1 day ago - seattlepi.com

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

4 fabulously cool slow miles on the mountain this late afternoon.  Oh boy it was a stellar day here in sweaty land.  

Tramps sorry you may miss your meet up with rosie barb.  She is fun to meet up with.  If tribee is ready to retire, then take the buy out...don't retire just  because of the buy out.   I learned this while I was researching my upcoming retirement.  I am ready to retire, buy out or not (its a not for me )

Trails Rock!

The smoke in the PNW just sounds awful. I hate to harp on this, but you all really should get out. I will not go to Beijing except under exceptional circumstances because the air is bad but not as bad as you all seem to have it. Even then I am only in the polluted air a few days and spend almost the whole time in buildings with air filters running.

No run for me today. I did an hour on the elliptical. I am trying to get back into my old routine. It is not easy. I am pretty weak overall. I did some bench presses and could not believe how far back I have slid. Pain killers or not, I still end up exhausted mid day and have to take an hour plus nap. I think part of the problem is that I still cannot eat anything that needs chewing. It is hard to get the energy you need to make it through the day on just things you can gulp down.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

That sounds normal to me for what you've been through, Twocat.  it wll take you a little while to get over the physical and emotional hit of all of it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I had my best run in a long time, today.  After doing my tempo runs on our hill course, today, the team switched to our race course, which is very flat.  They did 1 mile repeats and I did a 1.5 mile warmup, 8 tempo miles, and a 1.6 mile cool down.  I was hoping to do my tempos around a 7:00 pace and ended up doing them at a 6:36 pace.  Everything just felt so good.  It doesn't hurt to have 90 kids cheering you on.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!