Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.26.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (2.5 beautiful morning miles)
    Jlynne (6.43 morning miles in 36° temps with gloves & a jacket)
    Stumpy (3.1 damp lake loop miles, starting dry, finishing wet)
    Holly (5.1 TM miles)
    Deeze (9+ hrs of recovery sleep)
    Opus77 (PT on neck & upper back)
    TammyGP (short run with pizza party break)
    Tomwhite (40 min. PoolRun with letters)
    RunnerKSA (4.6 miles, including 1.5 tired morning miles + 3.1 post-work TM miles)
    Metalmancpa (6.44 miles @ 8:56 pace)
    Spacityrunner (2.3 workplace miles in IRC at 11:20 pace)
    Mike (12 miles, including 10 at tempo pace)
    Falconfixer (8.2 miles before teaching spin)
    Surly Bill (6.5 hot, sundown miles @ 8:05 pace)
    Evanflein (6.2 miles, struggling on the way out, better coming back)

I’m glad to see the candy discussion isn’t dead yet. Is anyone keeping score?

Gotta love introverts. We have a friend who is a great conversationalist in social situations, but he says it is such hard work, and he’d rather stay home and read a book.

Opus77, I agree that some races in the rain can be most satisfying for no logical reason.

Congrats to David on his presentation, Tammy, and to you on the ‘run, pizza, run.’ Like Holly, I want to come for ‘David’s’ dinner too.

Fatozzig - we’re getting wet and windy weather, but it is still ridiculously mild with overnight temps in the 50s and 60s. Bummer on the insurance options. Sounds like the masochistic chiro is continuing to do good work on you. Nice (maybe not) that you and Mike have something in common.

Tomwhite, are you bundled like software or cable stations??

Surly Bill - what Evanflein said...

I can't believe how much I still have to do to prep for Saturday's 5K: send the registration database to the timers (we closed online reg. yesterday), prepare/print the packet pick-up rosters, mark the course (when it stops raining), put up about 30 signs along the course, send info to the race announcer, etc. etc. And last night, we had a race committee meeting for our half, which is about 2 weeks out. And I had no mental release this morning 'cause it was raining way too hard to venture out. So it goes.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Race administration is a LOT of work!  I hope everyone appreciates all you do, Jay.   I was on the Board of Directors for the Dallas White Rock Marathon for about 20 years.  It was a year round job to put that race together, organize the sponsors, figure out if the course was going to have any construction or other problems.....

4.2 miles at 37 degrees to start the day.  Dark, dark, dark.  Just a few more days of that, though. (or not- I thought it was THIS weekend...)

1.6 miles on the treadmill at work for a mid-afternoon break.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

''Tomwhite, are you bundled like software or cable stations??''

.......not sure what I am,

it apparently

gives the Surgical Group

control over ''Elective Medicare Spending''

which COULD mean they stop me from going to PT

which means

I may have to

Go Scotch-Irish on 'em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkJM5Upfusc

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Good luck Jay.  I know that's a lot of work.

I was thinking about event organization this weekend at the bike festival.  No timing involved, which is a huge deal, but two days of events, multiple locations, about a dozen different courses on hundreds of miles of roads, major rest stops with food, musical concerts in the evening, and a camping site. Whew. Those folks must be happy when it's over, too.

20 miles on the bike this morning.  It was in the upper 40s but I overdressed and was very warm.  I haven't got this bike clothing thing down yet.

Be safe. Be kind.

Quickadder

Predawn 7.6 easy miles with DD to start the day. Cold enough for a long sleeve shirt.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Singer who runs a smidge

There's a local family who runs the women's 4-miler every year.  They've been doing it for something like 30 years, and now they're bringing one of their daughters in to help.  Man, that race runs like a dream every year, but it's a huge undertaking.  I tip my metaphorical hat to all race directors.

And in other Halloween related news, this was in the car next to mine when I parked this morning:

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TammyinGP

Had a great end-of-the-season run, party, run with the kids yesterday. After we got back to the school, still had almost an hour before parents came to pick them up, so we did some 4x400 and 4x100 relays. Fortunately, I was just the timer. No way I could have run all out on the track!

Then ran another mile with the pups when I got home. They sure love me when I come home smelling of running clothes because they know I'll take them for a quick run. 

I never did chime in on the candy conversation. We live rural, so have never done Halloween at our place for trick or treaters. Nor have we ever had one show up. When David was little, we'd drive over to a friends neighborhood and David would go trick or treating with them. I love dark chocolate vs milk chocolate, but when it comes to the traditional stuff given out, I gravitated toward the Reeses (but need to refrigerate first!),peanut M&M's, or twix. 

We are still having such nice fall weather here. Normally, we have about two weeks before it goes to constant rain so feel like we never really have a "fall" season. But our cold mornings (low 40's) and mild & sunny afternoons (low to mid 70's) seems to be in the extended forecast for a few weeks. I'll take it!   I'll get in a few more miles today, which will make the 5th straight day of running, and then take tomorrow off since I have a HM on Saturday. Will be a decent mileage week for me.

Tammy

. . . twix. 

Right Twix or Left Twix?

Great Halloween picture/gag!

My buddy, Karen, is co-race director of the Hagg Mudd Run outside of Portland.  It's a ton of hard work.  My hat's off to everyone who takes on the herculean task for the rest of us.

Trying to get my bod to get back into risin' (but not shinin') at O-Dark 30 is hard.  Hence, I will be puttin' in my 30 min after work.

Yearly visit from lady friends starts tomorrow, which means a lot of eating out. Ugh! My post-vacation waist line pocket book will be feeling the pinch.

Okay - Back to work!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Right Twix or Left Twix?

I tend to lean to the left.  

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Twix are for kids.

Easy six yesterday on the TM.  It was a different one than usual at the gym, so I am constantly bracing myself at 18:00, 28:00, and 38:00 for the inevitable slow down - the dreaded two minutes to go cool down pace.   It didn't happen last night, so I think I found a new, favorite TM.  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

catwhoorg

Labrat

First run of the week (didn't plan it like that) of 4 easy.

Nothing too strenuous before the race on Saturday.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

metalmancpa

5.3 easy miles, 8:51/mile pace.

Surly Bill, yes this is taper week, and I have backed down the mileage. Where I generally run 40-45 MPW, I'll probably have 25-27 miles this week prior to the marathon, all runs being at my perceived easy pace of 8:50-9:10 or so. My training didn't go to plan in dealing with my Mom (parents), and didn't really get in the long runs I should have leading up to the race. Here are my previous LR's going backwards (if you consider them long) -

10/21 - 10 miles (9:09)

10/13 - 12 miles (8:33)

9/24 - 13.8 miles (8:56)

9/16 - 16.1 miles (8:38)

9/9 - 15.1 miles (8:57)

The only 20-miler I attempted was back on 9/2. Although I completed 20.5, the pace overall came in at 10:25/mile because my SVT kicked in after mile 15 and I couldn't calm it down and thus couldn't pick up running but instead could walk with a few jogs those last miles. The only thing I really did to "offset" that was run two tempo runs last week at faster than marathon pace - 7.2 (8:08) and 8 (8:10). I am definitely going into this marathon with absolutely no idea how I will hold up in the later miles as I really didn't get training in for the upper miles.

I've liked the introvert discussions, I myself being one. I get exhausted in crowds, run by myself, and in general like to be alone. The running by myself isn't just because I'm an introvert, but also because I don't want my personal paces altered and just want to get out on my runs and let them flow my way. Even though I'm a CPA who deals with clients and can play the social game where no one knows I'm an introvert, I just limit those crowded with people times.

Two decent runs in a row.  Something bad must be up ahead!  Set out for 5 progressive, decided to make it 6 when things felt good after 2 miles.  6.0 miles (9:16, 8:50, 8:37, 8:32, 8:17, 7:47).  Decided to turn it up at the end to see what I had left.  No after effects of the PT and dry needling, though I'll probably feel it later.

Coastwalker - sounds like a lot of work.  Thanks to you and all RDs (and committees).

RunnerKSA - cold temps!  Nice way to start teh day.

Tramps - that's cold wind chills for a ride.  I bought cold weather gear for riding, but my problem was always the cold making my eyes water - even with wrap around shades on.  I guess I could try swim goggles!

Quick - well done.  I opted to wait for a lunch time run so I cold stay in shorts and a short sleeves one more day.  It's a psychological thing for me!

fatozzig - your Hub sounds like someone I could get along with (or sit around with not talking).

PBJ - yeah, I've run across some TMs like that in hotels.  Aggravating.

Tammy - they need 3 piece Twix so I can have the center one!   Great last day with your team.  If I had an end of season run, only 2 or 3 would show up.  So I have to have a pizza party and awards night...no running, lol.

Falcon - good work yesterday.  You're a busy man.  I'm waiting on my recall notice so I can send back my recent medical records and ask if they're really sure they want me behind the "wheel" of a $50 million machine again!!

Metal - You've figured out this whole running thing pretty quickly, so I have no doubt you will run a smart race and do well.  Most enjoyable marathon I had was one where I went out conservatively and after some big hills around 18 miles, started pushing things up gradually and finished with negative splits the last 10K and feeling very good at the finish.  Beats the heck out of some of the death marches I've endured due to going out too fast.

Need to end here.  Lawn needs mowing one more time (maybe 2 more if it stays warm).  Have a good day everyone.

fatozzig - your Hub sounds like someone I could get along with (or sit around with not talking).

Tammy - 

So my chiro has implemented this technique, which I'm supposed to do on my own.  It's in the . . . um . . . hoo-ha area, so I'm guessing I should close my door when implementing at the work place.  Ha!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

So my chiro has implemented this technique, which I'm supposed to do on my own.  It's in the . . . um . . . hoo-ha area, so I'm guessing I should close my door when implementing at the work place.  Ha!

''

A patient presents with pain in the plantar foot that has become chronic and has responded poorly to local interventions targeting the plantar fascia itself. Our investigation might first consider the health of the spinal nerve roots servicing that area. Using a McKenzie-oriented assessment (review the books of Robin McKenzie or the courses from MDT for detailed information), repetitive endrange extension might be applied, followed by a re-assessment of the painful movement to see if the movement is less painful. The peripheral neurology servicing the plantar foot might be screened using neural tension testing (see the work of David Butler and Michael Shacklock for excellent books, DVDs and courses) to attempt to reproduce the familiar pain. Neurodynamics may follow, if indicated, to address the mechanical interface of the peripheral nerves. Locally, the superficial nerves and their course through the painful area are addressed with a goal of “creating space” and improving bloodflow to the involved neurology. With a similar neurodynamics mindset, we lift the tissues around the involved neurology while the painful movement is performed to see if the symptoms improve. If these assessments greatly reduce or resolve the painful movement, then teach the patient to “create space” for the involved neurology and then move in ways to improve the mechanical interface of the neurology.''

.............fatozzig//...........that hurt just reading it////////

========

50-min PoolRun with letters

.............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....