Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 9.18.13 (Read 44 times)

....no jay, it's just you......

Welcome back Slo///

......Wishing OM a Poop-Free Race.....

============

...but I digress.......

.........30mprnb

..................Good running guys.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Sorry... I suppose I should take that post down. 

I don't know....I think that is a great goal.  I know that every time I toe the line at a race, I say to myself, "Lord, don't let me poop my pants."  Big grin  It hasn't actually happened (yet), but it is definitely at the top of my list of "worst running fears."

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Great goal OM. Seriously. That's why I seem to pop Imodium like pez prior to a marathon.

I'm with you Slo. Long way back but at least we are moving.

Good luck Ribs. 20K. 10k loop?

Ran a nice 7.2 today ankle pain free. Not running pain or out of shape pain free but that's a good hurt.

Funny story of the day - we came home from my DW birthday dinner (Japanese Hibachi and very tasty) to hustle everyone to bed since its a school night. Was looking for one of our male cats who didn't come inside with the rest of us. Figured he would come when ready. Watched Suits and was headed to bed and heard this large racket of meowing. Went outside and found him in a pine tree about 35 feet up on my neighbors property. Tried to coax him down to no avail so had to climb the tree (in Crocs - yeah I know) and bring him down. Needless to say he didn't wan't to let go and grabbed the limbs at every chance. Finally figured I would grab him like a mom by the scruff of his neck. Worked and then I had to climb down. We both made it and I guess he was thankful since he slept at the foot of the bed. My neighbor must think I'm nuts because I was not quiet in the retrieval. What we do for our pets.

Will run a 5k with my son this Saturday morning.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Does anyone remember that movie from the early 90s called Crazy People? It starred Dudley Moore and Darryl Hannah and was about an ad exec who was institutionalized after having a nervous breakdown. He and his fellow "crazy people" patients ended up writing product ads that were over-the-top truthful. My post about my marathon goal reminded me of that movie. Not sure a satire like that could make it in today's world, but it was certainly an enjoyable little film that MrOM and I quote quite often. "Saab: it's boxy, and it's safe."

Dave59

I'm ticked off that you all are giving me something new to worry about before a race. Black eye  Smile  Until now, all I had to worry about was hoping I didn't have to stop and pee.

Not pooping myself is always a goal, albeit, one I've NOT reached a couple of times.  Thankfully, it wasn't during a race.  And the great thing about trail races is you look for the nearest tree, bush, or, in case you're in the desert like I have been a couple of times, the nearest sagebrush.  Yes, the sagebrush is see-thru, but if watchin' me poop somehow gives you the extra oompf to get through your race, well, glad I could help.

{{{Hugs, Love and Prayers to Holly}}}

Great pics!!  And did Wildchild actually say she's onlycompleted 12 races in the last 15 months (9 marathons, 30 50ks)?  ONLY??  I need to strive to be more like Wildchild.

Speaking of races, The Hub is nagging me about when I'm going to run another one. Confused (Okay - that's different from in the past). However, I'll see how things hold up during my upcoming pacer duties at Mountain Lakes 100, and if there are no issues (i.e., tendonitis doesn't flare up), I'm considering the Whiskeytown 50k.  It's only a couple of hours from home.  I'd rather do the Weaver Basin 50k, but it's the weekend after Mt. Lakes, so I'm not so sure it's viable.  Will have to discuss with coach.

4 EZ miles last night while keeping an eye out for a run away dog.  Some folks stopped me just as I was getting started, and they were looking for their pup.  I zig zagged around for 4 miles looking for him, but never saw him.  Hope they found each other.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

It is always a pleasure to see a post from OM!

Oh you're going to regret that comment this time....

wildchild

Carolyn

Henrun and Marj - sounds like a lovely vacation!

Slo and C-R - welcome back!  Good to see you guys!

C-R - good story!  That's yet another reason dogs are better than cats - they don't climb trees...   and Crocs?  Really? Joking

Leslie, I agree with you, trail races are good because there are almost unlimited bathroom opportunities!  It's interesting that during a race, you don't worry much about really getting into the woods where no one can see you, like you would on just a trail run -  you just get  behind a bush or tree, and figure the other racers won't care.  And take advantage of your hub wanting you to sign up for a race before he changes his mind!

OM - just breathe!    Your training has been going well, and your marathon will go well too.  There are always race-day factors that are out of your control, like weather or GI issues, but just focus on getting to the starting line healthy, and you'll do fine.  And even if Wineglass doesn't work out, you have two more opportunities the next two weeks, right?  Smile

I ran 4.7 miles on Monday, and my legs felt fine post-marathon. Then yesterday I took the dogs for 3 miles, and my legs felt dead.   Not sure what today will bring.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks for the breathing lessons, everyone Smile I really am OK about everything, but in spite of all that, I have fear... It's an irrational thing, I know it, but just knowing it isn't enough to make it go away (KWIM?). So thanks for letting me come here and voice these irrational fears. Yes, once I'm there, at the start line, it'll all be good, I know that.

Ribs glad to hear you're pumped for the race, you must really feel ready for the challenge, go Ribs!

Dave thanks for the standing veggies advice. I love veggies but I'll save for others who need help.

Wonderful 10 miler this morning, in IRC  59 & sunny,  in 1:29:10 had a quick lunch and fresh clothes then a 29 mile bike ride.

I had to stop at the portable toilet at Hartford marathon 2 years ago and it made me miss my 4 hr. goal by 51 seconds.  Angry

So it is always a concern of mine too...

tom white mpmb?

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Maniac 505

(((Holly)))

Mari: sounds like a wonderful adventure you just had, and luck to DS

OM You are going to rock it.

Interesting times at work.  Weekend before last there were 31 scheduled ferry sailings that didn't happen due to crew shortage.  This has been a developing issue for some time.  I see really interesting times by next summers schedule.  The State just put out a notice that they would like to hire 60 OS's (Ordinary Seaman)  This is an entry level position.  All the necessary training will be provided by the state,  It costs a few hundred for required documents, a homeland security background check and frequent random drug tests.

If any of you know someone that is not interested in college and is willing to put up with being treated badly for a couple years.  A motivated individual could start this job at about $18.00/hour with no guaranteed hours and could eventually work up to a 6 figure income.

I just finished a vacation,  I'm back to working nights, at least I am working close to home this week,  On my Vacation,  I hooked up with a College classmate that I hadn't seen since Mt St Helens blew it's top.  He is a port engineer with Alaska Tanker Company.  He says They have the same crewing issues we do.  He offered me a job with his company,  a year ago I would have been all over it but a year ago the pension benefit accrual formula for off shore shipping companies changed.

tom white mpmb?

sorry,typo

it;s

30m pr nb

..........'cause mpmb wouldn't make any sense........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

sorry,typo

it;s

30m pr nb

..........'cause mpmb wouldn't make any sense........

which if you plug into the unofficial TW translator, comes out as 30 minutes pool running no belt.  (since Sarge hasn't been around in a while)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey friends - no running for me yesterday or today, but wanted to pop in and keep up here -- OM - only one o in pop!! and that's all I'm going to say on that topic!!Roll eyesBlush

((Holly)) continued prayers for you and your family

TwoCat - love the pictures!!  you really are one fast dude!!

Posai - very chilly start to the day here too -- 40's - yuck!!  too soon for that I say!!

Ribs - I made the Best-Ever Veggie Burgers recipe today -- let me tell you, that was a feat - I am a very basic cook but really enjoyed preparing all those ingredients.  The true test will come tomorrow after I actually cook them - letting the mixture sit overnight!!

denise

deez4boyz if only I were that fast!  Mariposai just takes such wonderful pictures that, well, they lie!

stumpy77 is that tomwhite translator available as an app?  I really could use a copy.

divechief on the bright side your skills are in super high demand!  I have a feeling you will have a job as long as you want located wherever you want.  That is providing wherever is near a really big body of water!

Yesterday I forgot to report my 8 mile zombies run.  Escaped every horde so I have one happy avatar.  However, he is sort of ticked at Mariposai who suggested that even if I were caught not all would be lost as she thinks it is funny when my avatar is turned into a zombie for a few days. You really do not want to get your avatar mad or you never know what you will look like on the forum!  Today was an elliptical day so nothing interesting to report.

Quandary:  There is a 30k race this Sunday.  I am tempted to do it since it is the distance I planned to do for my long run and would be a good indicator of where I am now for a potential November marathon.  But, there is a pretty good chance it will rain Sunday and if it does I am pretty certain to bail on the race.   (Yes, I am a wimp.  Let us just get that out of the way now.)  So, should I hold off running Saturday (when the weather is supposed to be awesome!) and wait to see what the weather looks like on Sunday.  Then if it is raining skip running until the weather clears up again (likely Tuesday).  Or should I just do my long run on Saturday and bail on the race?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/