Masters Running

Monday, May 10th Run Reports and Daily Chat (Read 688 times)

Good morning one and all.

Time to go back to work for another week and get some rest there!

A nice 3.7 mile run (there is a point there....not 37 miles) late last evening giving me a good week for miles.

I mentioned the wind happening all over the country on Saturday.   To illustrate how bad it was here.....I stopped at  a Port-a-Potty.....and it had white caps going on.

Enjoy your day......I look forward to reading about your weekend and associated runs.

Joey

Vista

To illustrate how bad it was here.....I stopped at  a Port-a-Potty.....and it had white caps going on.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

It was nice to spend Mother's Day with my family yesterday. I hope everyone was able to enjoy their day. I finished off my week with 6.5 easy miles on a nice, flat, crushed stone rail trail. Today I will run after school with my 5K group. Only 6 more runs for them before the Lilac race. They are starting to get excited (and a little nervous for the rookies).

Has anyone heard if Twocat took the 10K plunge? I hope that he did just to share the race with DW.

dg- Loved your crosstraining pictures from yesterday. Some of my most enjoyable moments are spent in a canoe or kayak. It is so peaceful and so easy to get close to nature.

Mariposai-Nice that you could host some extra "sons" for Mother's Day. I can't imagine staying with anyone more welcoming, I bet they had a great time.

Tet- ING has programs that gives money to organizations that promote and work with children to encourage them to run. People who donate get orange shoelaces, think they would send you orange nail polish?

Has anyone seen much of Tramps lately?

Ribs- Congrats on a 50 mile week. He's baaaack!

Vista-If I saw those white caps I would have abandoned ship.

Murphy- Did anyone tell you about the initiation fee? It's just a dollar for every day under 40. Check can be made out to...

One last thing, DW just sent me this clip and I liked the message so I'm passing it on:

True friends

Yesterday, after my short, slow recovery run, I was still feeling draggy.  So I decided to take today off as a rest day.  Slept in till after 6:30AM.  This should leave me ready for tomorrow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

EGH3 – excellent 5K!

CNYrunner – I love your super-granny video!  She is quite a lady!

Aamos – the Peace Corp?  Wow!  What would you be doing?

Dg – beautiful photos!

No run for me today, just some light x-training:  walking lunges, weighted squats, push-ups, lateral raises, dumbbell curls, glute raises, stability ball crunches and chin-ups (2+2+2).

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Vista....Thanks for the laugh.

This is not an RR report.

Quad Cities Distance Classic, Half Marathon.

I wasn't planning on doing this. It's a week before the Cellcom Marathon. My fear is that I would not be able to resist the urge to go all out and race it. I was easily talked into doing this and with the help of these fine experienced masters I was able to hold back on the reins and run a very enjoyable Half Marathon......without racing....and I still had fun !

The Nuts and Bolts:

Goal.....Run most all @ MP

Final 1:43:11 (7:53 pace)  12/29 AG  134/531 OA

Splits:

7:57

8:12

8:03

7:56

7:52

7:56

7:59

7:51

7:45

7:44

7:25

7:21

7:13

Last 1/10th 6:32

I was feeling relaxed and easy the whole way. I really wanted to hold back and not run in the 7:40's until the final 3 miles but at mile 7 we entered a park with turnarounds......this is where I began to pick up the pace.....with the leaders coming at you....then seeing those trailing you...it's all about sticking your chest out and showing them your a runner. It felt so good and natural to run at this pace......as I began to pass people, literally by the dozens, I couldn't help but to speed up more.

I finished feeling strong and like I had LOT's left in the tank.  Maybe I should have held of another mile or two but I'm feeling great today and very anxious about this coming Sunday !

MTA:

A belated Happy Mothers Day wished to all you Moms.  Sorry I didn't post this yesterday.

Initiation fee??

Thanks again for all the welcomes. A quick synopsis of me. Started running in 2006. Couldnt run a mile straight when I started. Ran my first marthon 6 months later, and another 2 months after that. Ran 10 marathons total with the last one being Flying Pig '09. But my training has been legendary in the fact that it had been lacking..and my times have shown it. After the Pig in 09, I hurt so bad, it made me rethink the whole running a marathon on no training thing. Ran the Pig 1/2 (on almost no training), but watching all the full marathoners finishing, and BQing, I have re-dedicated myself, and have my eyes set on the USAFM and Columbus (and then Vegas). Expect to set PRs every step of the way, or at the very leaset my personal course records--having aready done the USAFM twice, Columbus and Vegas - 3 times ea.

Since Erika asked (twist my arm)--here's a couple recent pics of our beautiful daughter--Shes our first after 15 years of marriage. Shes 8-1/2 months old.

This was taken probably about 1 month ago, one of my favorites

She isnt quite crawling. But she is trying. This is now her preferred sleeping position.

She likes spaghetti. Taken last night.

Spent 4 hours at the zoo yesterday. So, with all the walking, I used that as my 'rest day', and will get my 3 miles in tonight that I originally had planned for Sunday.

I'll keep up on the threads so I can get to know you all!

Hope all the moms had a Great Mother's Day!!

Aamos I so miss having cats!  But my DW will not let me get any since our last pair died.  So, while I hope you get the Peace Corps gig, the cats will (alas) need another home.

Craneium my DW ran the 10K and I did what I could.  I am waiting for the race web page to post the times.

vista that does it I got to skip reading your posts!  Yech!  I cannot even begin to get that image out of my head.  Ugh!  Yech!  Blehhh . . . mouthwash where is the mouthwash . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Murphy - adorable!!  I see that you live in Lebanon...I live in Miamisburg - we're practically neighbors!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh what a beautiful baby Murphy!!

Happy belated Mother's Day to all our wonderful mother's.

First off, learing to ride a motorcyle is snow, wind, rain, sleet and freezing temperatures is NO fun.   Going back the 2nd day with sunshine, yet still freezing temps is better.    Passing the test - priceless.   I loved the class and I am so happy that I took it!  DH did it with me, and he was surprised at how much he learned and was also happy that he took it too.

So, this morning I run to my mom's (4 miles) to drive her car to the shop.   My sister and she  had already taken car of it yesterday afternoon.   So, I turn around and go 4 miles back home.   As I turn the corner of my street there is a pig or boar(?) standing in the middle of the street almost as shocked to see me, as I am it!!   I stopped dead in my tracks trying to comprehend what I am seeing and thinking what to do!   It finally runs away from me down a driveway, so I start up again and see it staring at me from the driveway.   I'm freaking out a little wondering if it is a boar and trying to remember the evasive moves my DH told me about, as he went boar hunting once.   I'm fishing in my pocket for my phone thinking I have to take a picture of this, or no one will believe me ...... but it ran off before I could do it.    It was black and it had little tusks, or fangs, or whatever you call them.      That's my story and I'm stickin' to it ......

8 miles -  10:53 pace I think.

Now to the DMV for my motorcyle endorsement.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Murphy - very cute!

Slo - nice HM and good luck this coming Sunday

Easy 5.6 miles this am @ 9:10 pace. Chilly 40 degrees but sunny. Feeling very good right now but know full well how it can go bad quickly so I'm ramping the miles slowly and sticking to the preventative maintenance (foam roll, stretching, etc.)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Slo.. way to go on "holding back" on the half.  When MP feels like "holding back" then that's a great sign you'll do well in the marathon next week!

Murphy.. welcome and cute picture!! Once you caught the running bug it really stuck!

Holly so sorry you had such a boaring run! Big grin

I love this cold snap. Perfect shorts and a tee running in 41°! 

5 miles in 43:49 (8:45 pace) (no butt soreness! ... it has moved down to the thigh now but went away by mile 2.)

Walked the dogs 2 miles before the run and we came across a herd (6) of deer munching on landscaping.  Sadie liked that and Tory didn't even notice.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Kimmie

Morning y'all!!

Welcome to Murphy!!     Smile   This is a great group!

I ran 10 miles on Saturday with a friend... time just flew by and I didn't want the run to end.  We had some killer wind, too, just like many of you.  That always makes it fun.  She is training for her 2nd half marathon.   We've only run together twice.

I may have mentioned that I wanted to run a 5K on Mother's Day, but sleep won out.  DH and I went to a wedding, had TONS of fun, dancing, etc...   You get the picture.  Smile  So, maybe this weekend, I will decide to do another 5K that's local.

And I did get breakfast in bed and homemade cards and homemade gifts from my girls.  Smile

Off for an easy 3... 

Morning, gang!

Vista - whitecaps in the porta potties, huh?  That was some wind!!

dg - the turtles are kewl - my favorites!

Murphy - I love spaghetti too, but I don't usually wear it.........your daughter is absolutely adorable!

Slo - nice pacing for your race - good job!

Mary - very kewl encounter - wish he would have cooperated for a picture.

Perch - I'm with you - I love the cold snaps (without the wind) - wish I was running.

I had a lazy weekend - decided to sack any thoughts of exercise of any kind.  I was really, really bad - cheeseburger and fries at Plan B in Glastonbury on Saturday night and cheeseburger and cajun fries at Five Guys for lunch on Sunday.  Then I baked a loaf of oatmeal, molasses whole wheat bread on Sunday afternoon.  What was a I thinking??  I'll pay for it this week, but it was nice while it lasted. 

70 minutes on the elliptical this morning - 7.25 miles @ 136 AHR. Core and upper body weights on the agenda for lunch. 

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Murphy - adorable!!  I see that you live in Lebanon...I live in Miamisburg - we're practically neighbors!

Holly, Yeah we are. You said you are running the USAFM, right? Have you run that one before? Its a great marathon.

Looking for some good shorter local races. I used to always treck up to Columbus to do the Columbus marathon training series. But with the baby thats not as easy to do as it was. There is a great little 15k in Lebanon tied to the Blues Festival. Its an evening run-starts and finishes downtown at the festival. Goes along my normal training route.