Masters Running

Help a newbie swimmer (Read 218 times)

As many of you have read, I now have a YMCA membership. It's a newly rebuilt Y and very state-of-the-art with a really nice pool. I kinda have always wanted to get more into swimming. I mean, I'm competent. I won't drown but I know nothing of technique, workouts or anything. I figured I'd jump in and swim some easy laps until I got a little tired. Any good info resources you can point me to for swimming tips to get started? Good goggles? Speedo is out of the question Shocked

Slo

As many of you have read, I now have a YMCA membership. It's a newly rebuilt Y and very state-of-the-art with a really nice pool. I kinda have always wanted to get more into swimming. I mean, I'm competent. I won't drown but I know nothing of technique, workouts or anything. I figured I'd jump in and swim some easy laps until I got a little tired. Any good info resources you can point me to for swimming tips to get started? Good goggles? Speedo is out of the question Shocked
      Off to a meeting....... I was a newbie 4 years ago. I was up to 10,000 yds or more per week. That is until or pool shut down for two months. I'll get you some info
      Slo

EGH Swimming is a fantastic workout. A couple of pointers.......Take lessons if you can. It won't require many. If you can't then invest in the "Total Immersion" book and video. It will teach you to swim efficiently and give you the drills you need. I highly recommend the lessons though. Swimming is one thing that is very difficult to self teach. Goggles......what ever your comfortable with. There is no need to spend big money......they all fog up eventually. After trying many several types I ended up going with the $3.50 "Swedes". They are just plastic. No rubber seals. You have to assemble them yourself but they don't give you raccoon eyes and are quite comfortable. If they aren't then you have the elastic too tight. Trunks / suits.....I love my Nike Jammers. Jammers cover most of the thigh....almost to the knees. After that there are the square legs.....also called drags. They are like shortened boxer briefs. Skip the trunks.....go with a suit. Check out swimoutlet.com. There are lots of pool toys. Kick boards, pull bouys, fins, paddles......to each his own. Most of this stuff can be found at the pool so there really is no reason to buy them. They do help break up the workout though. Swimming laps can be equated to running on a treadmill. As I mentioned, I've been swimming for a little over 4 years now. By a swimmers standard I'm still a newbie. The single most important advice I can give is stick with it. Swimming is so counter intuitive, technique based that it just takes time. Not just once a week....... I wish you great success !
          EGH As I mentioned, I've been swimming for a little over 4 years now. By a swimmers standard I'm still a newbie. The single most important advice I can give is stick with it. Swimming is so counter intuitive, technique based that it just takes time. Not just once a week....... I wish you great success !
          Thanks for the info. They do have adult lessons at the Y so I'll look into that. I'm looking forward to it. Running is the priority but getting 2-3 swims a week is the goal to start out with. Maybe in a couple years I can toy with the (mini) triathalon idea Roll eyes

I joined a Masters Swim team and my coach gives me different work out each time. I know the Y here has a Masters team also, so you might look into that. Also check out this site http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html is a great starting place.
            Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers

Marathon Maniac #3309

Maybe in a couple years I can toy with the (mini) triathlon idea Roll eyes
              Nope, you can absolutely look forward to a sprint triathlon this coming summer easliy....believe me as I have been there, done that. I am very short on time and will add more, ok. But a few years back I had a great cycling back ground (6000 to 8000 miles a year), and would run some too. Then I hit the pool one morning and couldn't swim one lap with being out of breath and having to stop and rest. A triathlete friend of mine told me to keep working at it till I could swim 15 minutes straight without stopping. I finally got up to the 15 minutes fairly quickly, and then moved up to 30 minutes. Then I did my first sprint Triathlon about 1 month later. In a sprint Tri, the swim is normally only 400 to 500 yards, and 15 minutes is plenty of time to swim this distance even if you are a slow swimmer. I wish I would have taken a swim class or joined a master swim team. But I actually self taught myself and everyone that watches me swim says I have really good form. I actually built my swim up to the point, where I could swim an hour or hour and a half with no problem Good luck, TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

I joined a Masters Swim team and my coach gives me different work out each time. I know the Y here has a Masters team also, so you might look into that. Also check out this site http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html is a great starting place.
                We don't have a Masters group here Cry But that is excellent advice !
                  Nope, you can absolutely look forward to a sprint triathlon this coming summer easliy....believe me as I have been there, done that.
                  Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to adding in the swimming. After I get through my May marathon, I'm going to evaluate what to do next. Another marathon in the Fall? Sprint triathalon? We'll see what happens but like it or not, all of you will be along for the ride. Wink

Marathon Maniac #3309

We love being around for the ride Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!