Masters Running

Sunday, 8.28.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Aamos, I always enjoy This American Life when I catch it, which s not near often enough. I, like Starr, can't comprehend 'lazing' through a 12-mile run like you did yesterday!

Sorry about the lost power and sick kitty, Holly. No, cats definitely don't like being eyedroppered with medicine or anything else.

Just another small, neighborhood race, eh, Larry? congrats on great pacing in the crowd, and on the TSelbes sighting. Nice racing for Tom too, in warm, humid weather.

Congrats on your 11-miler, Starr. Sounds like you're having a busy but good weekend.

Great job on your 1st 20-miler this cycle, Mariposai - isn't it great to feel good at the end of a run like that? I'm also looking forward to seeing you and the crew when Rosie's team comes to town.

TW, good work wit Pickles in the heat at the Community Fair. "Hanging Anvil" is not a degree of difficulty that I would ever aspire to reach.

Nice 2-fer, LaT. And you're a DJ - how cool! Thanks for the way to find you; I'll have to listen in later on.

Nice hike with MBE and the kids at Wonderland, Enke. I'm glad your DS did well and seemed to have a good time his first time there.

Sorry about the double splats, Tet. My advice would be to not do that again. I hope you (and the horrified kids) are OK today. Do you and GS have a Woolly Bear Cam going? Wouldn't it be great to be able watch what is (or isn't) going on?

Kayaking yesterday was blissful: We were a group of about 20 people out on the water for 2 1/2 hours. The sky was clear, the water was calm, and the weather was near perfect. I got to poke around in some little coves I had never seen before, and saw geese and ducks and loons out drying their wings. We were out longer than DW and I would have gone if we were on our own, but it was a great paddle, so we enjoyed the extra time on the water. I wore my Reach The Beach shirt from last year, and someone asked me about the race as we paddled along. By the time we were done talking about it, she was maybe interested in joining the Rosie Ruiz team, so I sent her TwoCat's email address when I got home.

DW and I decided to go out for dinner last night. We went to a place that has a nice outdoor patio for dining, and waited for a table there. Once we ordered, the salad that we shared came quickly. Then we waited and waited and waited for our main courses. We didn't complain, but a couple of times, someone felt compelled to tell us that the kitchen was a bit backed up, and our order was 'coming along.' When they finally came, about an hour after we ordered and delivered by a manager-type person, she told us they were not charging us for those dishes because we had to wait so long. So we ordered an extra glass of wine, and still had an inexpensive dinner.

My legs were a little achy this morning (probably from sitting in the kayak for so long without moving them yesterday), so I had no speed at all. I was shooting for 9 miles, but at 8.7, a neighbor who was out for a stroll asked a conservation commission question. So I turned off my Garmin, and we walked and talked the rest of the way. So, even though a little shorter than I planned, it was a good workout with a nice neighborly cool-down.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, all.  It's a gorgeous day in Maine.today. Picked up DW at the Portland airport last night and she was very relieved to be back.  She'll spend several days decompressing from dad duty.

3.6 miles for my "long run",  including a no walk up the big hill, which pleasantly surprised me.  There's at least a tiny bit of fitness left.  It did feel like at least 5 miles and the times reflected that.

Good job on recruiting, Jay.  Hope it works out.  I'd be tempted, but the way my work schedule has been, there's no way I can plan on it.

Nice long runs in there and a nice hike for Enke and crew.  Beautiful pictures of the area.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Sounds like you had an awesome day yesterday.

Kevin - Glad your DW made it back safe.

7 miles run/walk for me today, plus 30 minutes on the bike trainer. Stoopid knee is getting worse, not better.  This is bordering on ridiculous.  And I am NOT going back to the doctor.  I've already spent nearly $2000 on this issue and resolved absolutely nothing.  What a waste.  I am so frustrated.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, not that it helps, but welcome to my summer. Although I think I've finally turned the corner with this foot thing, but I'm being very careful with it. It's too bad you have Portland on the calendar because what you probably need is a few weeks off. It's so hard when that goes against everything you're trying to do. Can you get to a pool to do some pool running? I wonder how that would help. But is it the motion that hurts it, or impact? From what it sounds like, it's not impact but the actual motion and with that, maybe even the bike is aggravating it? So hard to tell. I'm so sorry you're going through this, and yes I do know how you feel! (How is Max? Abby goes thru puking spells and we give her hairball medicine that seems to help.)

Jay, that sounds like fun with the kayaks. That's something I've never done but always thought it would be fun. I hope you gave the wait staff a good tip last night. So often diners take it out on the wait staff when it's the kitchen at fault.

Enke's photos on Facebook are just beautiful. Looks like an absolutely wonderful hike!

So the plan of letting everything dry out yesterday for a good trail run today sort of went awry. I forgot to clue in mother nature, apparently. I got sprinkled on during my run, and later when I was working in the yard, the skies opened up and it just poured for about an hour. *sigh* Oh well. Two of the last three Equinoxes have been very muddy, so might as well prepare for it, right? At least it's clear and sunny today, and no rain in the forecast all week (ha, I think that's what it said for yesterday, too).

(((Holly)))  I'm so sorry to hear that your knee isn't improving. Does it hurt on the bike trainer or when you walk? Is the doc you're seeing a sports medicine type who knows about/has sympathy for runners? That really stinks.

It must have been painful to sit and wait - and wait - and wait for dinner last night Jay, but way to score a free meal! I hope you ordered the lobster tail at "market price"

Glad your weather has improved Kevin. And I hope you kept up with the laundry and cleaning while your DW was out of town!

I've had a busy day today. Got up at 5:15 to run 8 miles, then came home and jumped in my car to drive to Appleton, Wisconsin (about 20 minutes away) to pick up my sister and BIL at the airport. They had been in Florida for my BIL's brother's funeral. Their flight left at 5:00 AM and since they live an hour from the airport, they had to get up at 3:00 to catch their flight. My sister is 77 and my BIL is 86. They both looked so tired. Then I came home, showered, went to church and our annual picnic which was held right after services. I donated a wine basket with 4 of my hand-painted Wisconsin Badger glasses, wine and some other goodies for their silent auction. I wanted to bid it up a little, but the last one on the sheet was already $85. I didn't want to get stuck buying it back! Then I went to a local art festival held every year and bought a neat bird house for my friends who stop at the feeders I have in the back yard. Now, I'm getting stuff ready for dinner since all of my kids and grandkids are coming over for a cookout in a few hours. DH played in a golf tournament the last two days and didn't do well so he's not in the best mood right now. I hope the little ones are on their best behavior!

We went to see "Hell or High Water" last night. A really good movie with a great story line. I'd give it 4+ stars. And let me just say, Jeff Bridges is NOT aging well!!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone.

ps - if you wanna see some horrified looks, fall down in front of a bunch of kids.

They were almost calling the ambulance before I hit the ground.

I would be remiss if I didn't post Tet's quote from yesterday - brilliant really

Jay – you kind of got paid to relax and hang out – that is outstanding!

Started the day by swimming the perimeter of Walden Pond - just an incredibly beautiful day there, warm but little humidity, the water was so clear, we swam and chased the fish, and floated on our backs. It was glorious! Then went for a late afternoon 4 miler on one of my favorite routes that takes me along the Mystic River.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika and Jlynne - I know, time off, right?  But I took like 6 weeks off in June and July.  The calf strain healed but the inside-knee thing almost seemed like a brand new injury, but the only thing I was doing was PT exercises. Frustrating.  I think after Portland I will take time off until it is gone, but that means no lower body work whatsoever probably.  So, I will be starting again as a brand new runner in the spring, apparently.

The only pool close is the YMCA, and not cheap.  But, I may look at drop in fee a couple of times a week.

Max, btw, has not puked in 2 days, which is good. Poor guy has lost 1.5 lbs since May, which is huge on a cat, and he is down to 6.2 lbs.  I am giving him hypo-allergenic food I got at the vet's, venison and peas, and he loves it, but I am giving him a small amount several times a day so he doesn't gorge.  I'm hoping I can carefully fatten him up again. Unfortunately, if all the bloodwork comes back normal, the problem may be  either IBS or lymphoma, and both require an exploratory surgery to determine.  On the plus side, it may be that the hypo-allergenic food is all he needs.  Kind of expensive, but really not bad compared to the other alternatives.  And he is such a sweet kitty.

Jlynne - you are far too young to have a 77yo sibling.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The only pool close is the YMCA, and not cheap.  But, I may look at drop in fee a couple of times a week.

Stop by and see what's going on. The Y here usually offers specials starting like October 1 called "Pay the Day" where on the 1st you can join for $1.00, the 2nd $2.00 the 3rd $3.00 and so on. That's plus the one-time joiner fee which, at least here, isn't too bad. In the long run it would be cheaper than paying the daily drop in fee twice a week. And yes, I was a "whoops" baby. My oldest brother is 15 years older than me, and there's 7 years between my and my next oldest brother

Sorry about all of the rain Erika. Take care of that foot!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I'm back home. Friday we traveled to my brother's cottage in Michigan and so I was able to check out the Run Woodstock trail course. Not gonna lie. I sucked at it but am hoping to somehow get better at it and attempt 100 next year if I can get more trail feet under me. I'm a slow road runner and even slower trail runner. But i got it done. But now I can say I'm officially in taper mode. Three weeks until NC24.

Jay I'm glad the restaurant didn't charge you. Wine was a good addition.

Stumpy, hills are my nemesis. Glad you got your long run in.

Holly i hope you get some relief for your knee. I can only imagine how frustrating that is.

Evanflein, trails=downpour for me. I'm cursed that way. Hope it wasn't too slippery out there.

Jlynne, sorry about your BILs brother. I'm also going to check out that movie.

Kirsten it sounds like you have a lovely area to swim.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

DH and I sorta sleepy today.  He's fighting off a cold still and rode 40 miles yesterday.  Me?  I'm just a slug, although I managed to make him a corn-egg-cheese (Midwestern-ish) casserole he loves and a big pot of dal for his lunches.

And combed the cats.

Just 10 this am with a cloudy, muted sunrise over the river.

Glad you got rewarded for your dining patience,Jay.

Going to go read whilst listening to the radio.

see ya tomorrow ,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - now that I'm supposedly retired, I love outwaiting slow service at restaurants, banks, etc., just telling them, "I don't care, I'm retired," when they apologize all over the place, even when I'm in a huge hurry.  Never got anything free for doing it though

Then we waited and waited and waited for our main courses.. . . We didn't complain . . .  

When they finally came, about an hour after we ordered and delivered by a manager-type person,

she told us they were not charging us for those dishes because we had to wait so long. 

Kayaking yesterday was blissful: . . . . The sky was clear, the water was calm, and the weather was near perfect. 

Same here a little southeast of erikaland so I got talked into taking GS on his longest hike to date, four miles up to last week's same wilderness lake with nobody else around but with a Seattle Marathon cow bell clanging on my pack and bear spray in one hand and a three pound rock in the other hand in case something else was around.  I truly did not think GS'd make it and had planned on turning around somewhere on the way up.  Nope, 2:10 on the way up and 1:50 on the way back to tell his mommy about an "incident." as he decided on his own to call it. .

Lake was a little too breezy to go out in the middle for the lunkers I'd been thinking about since last week so I stuck to the shoreline, . . . until a wicked gust out-of-nowhere flipped the canoe over sideways and dumped us in the dar\k drink before we could even think about what was happening..

If you wanna see two horrified looks looking at each other, it was me bobbing up to see GS in his life-vest next to bow of the upside-down canoe. However, then, he said, "are you okay papo?" and, just as I was starting to get real scared, he began crying and got me focused on swim-pulling the canoe upside down to into the nearby reeds where I could touch bottom and get it up-right and pretty much empty of water..   Lost fishing rods and gear, favorite knife, curved hook pliers, and a small trout we'd already caught but was able to push out and hand-paddle enough to retrieve the real paddles and get back to the other side to stash the canoe back under the trees where I'd found it last week, dry out and hit the homeward trail, . . . . thank goodness.

Oddly enough, on the way back, we ran into a couple going up with canoe yolks

they said they use to carry it back at the end of every summer, . . . then, I commenced shaking..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Patience is a virtue, Jay. I'm glad your meal was complimentary.

(((((Holly)))))

Jlynne - you are far too young to have a 77yo sibling.

That's what I was thinking.

Holy hypothermia Tet. Scarey scarey. Love your GS.

Avenger Doggie turned 8 today. My driver's side big toe is still ticking me off from last weekend's attack from a tree root.(I work in a lumber yard and have felt a great deal of satisfaction that I spend the day among the corpses of my enemies.) We took Tag to a family reunion in Empire, MI. We told him it was his birthday party. With all the kids and a number of adults doting on him, he had a good day.

Tag's dad need to lay off the ice cream and cake.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - that's an adventure!  You are the coolest grandpa...

SteveP - wonderful pictures!