Masters Running

Andrew Jackson Marathon (Read 293 times)

TomD

My goal at this one was to better last year's Lincoln Marathon, 4:48, when I went the last 5 weeks without training, because of an injury. Andrew Jackson Marathon is a tougher course. It has a lot of rolling hills. I see a couple of good friends of mine at the start , Frank and Larry. Some of you may know of Larry. About 4 years ago he was well behind me in marathons completed, but since then he has been doing 70+ a year. Last year he set a new record of 105 marathons in one year. He is a couple of years older than me, but much slower. He and Frank take an early start. I kid them about catching them by mile 20. Larry thinks it will be much sooner than that. Larry tells me "You have more friends than I thought. I must have had 40 runners ask about you the pass two weeks." I have got countless emails and cards from other runners. Many from other 50-staters that I have never met. I am still getting some too. Many of them knew Donna too. To say she will be missed by many is a huge understatement. She would give so many her big smile and my closer friends like Larry a big hug and a little kiss on the cheek. Many guys that run as many marathons as I do are not married. To have a wife that came to so many marathns as Donna did is almost unheard of. Everyone loved Donna. She cheered them all on. Boy do I miss her. It is around 50 at the start and 60's at the finish. It remained cloudy throughout with some rain, but not much wind. At the start I go our pretty fast, but I do not care. It feels so great to be running again. Of course I make many friends along the way. Early on I am staying around 8 minute miles. I probably should be running a minute slower. Mile 7, 57 minutes, I feel so good. I ran up a very big hill in Mile 2, but I hardly noticed it. I was told it was the most challenging hill on the course, but there will be others. Mile 10, 1:22, feeling okay with some difficult hills coming up. Just before Mile 11 I catch up with Larry and Frank. I ask Larry if he has been running backwards. He tells me he is on his second lap of the course. It is great to have such good friends to kid around with. I have always thought when someone kids with around with you, he is your friend. You do not kid around with someone you do not like. My half time is 1:52. I am starting to feel the lack of training now. I know that breaking 4:00 is not going to happen and 4:30 may be come very difficult. Mile 14, 2:01, I have now slowed down a lot. It is very difficult for me just to go on. Mile 15, 2:12, I may start running even slower. I can hardly believe that I feel so bad. My leg really hurt already. I do not question rather I should be out here or not. This is my enviroment. Running marathons is where my friends are. Mile 16, 2:24, it is getting difficult to go at this 12 minute pace even. I am hurting. Mile 17, 2:36, I am hoping that I am able to keep this slow pace up. Now I am concerned about getting into my Zone at all today. Mile 18, 2:48, at least I am going at a steady pace, but I feel it will soon get slower. These hills are never ending. Some challenging, but many are not. Mile 19, 3:00, I am now feeling like all I can do is just finish. If I hit my Zone today, I will be surprised. These hills with the lack of training are very much taking a huge toll on me. I hope to break 5:00, but 4:45 may become difficult. Mile 20, 3:14, actually I did better than I thought I would do. I have been passed by countless runners since Mile 14 and there will be more. Mile 21, 3:29, a little slower. I know that I am running over hills, but they all are beginning to look the same. It does not matter to me any more the small ones and the big ones are all difficult. Mile 22, 3:44, another slow one. I am started to feel better near the end of this mile. Just 4 miles to go. It will be a long hour for me and maybe more. Mile 23, 3:57, well I started to feel better and better in this mile. The pain in my legs is slowly going away. I am in my Zone. This final 4 miles will be in my comfort zone. Mile 24, 3:10, about 4 minutes into this mile I came to a long downhill. Just before Mile 25 I loss a minute. I stopped to help a struggling worm get into the soft dirt from the concrete sidewalk, I get off the streets whenever I can there is not a lot of traffic control here. Donna is probable giving her approval of helping the worm. It is something she would have done. Mile 25, 3:22, it is so good to be running and not feeling that terrible leg pain anymore. Mile 26, 3:33, in the final .2 it is difficult to tell where to go to finish. I have to motion to others for help. You are right upon it when you make the final turn. I did finish with a 3:35:00. The final 4 miles felt good, but shortly after the finish my legs started to hurt some, but not as bad as earlier in the marathon. I was surprised by winning a thorpy for first place in my age group. My first thought after the marathon was to call Donna and let her know about how I did. As I am calling her realization set in. Then I thought I do not have any one so very special in my life as Donna was any more. My victory over pain and the course just did not mean as much as it did just a minute ago. Then as I went in one of the volunteers saw my 50-stater singlet and said "You loook like you have run a lot of marathons." I told him 280. He like many was caught short of words for a moment as he ponder over my response. He could hardly believe it. I went on my way, but he must of told others. Other runners came up to me. Then one young gal who passed me before I got into my Zone asked me about my 280 marathons, which were my favorites. She was completely in awe of my runs. I answered one question after another. When I told about my 200th marathon, when I got a short paragraph in Runners World. She thought I should have had my picture on the cover. She may never know it or even realize it later, but she helped this runner feel much better about himself. I will also miss and love Donna, but I still have a lot of living to do. Next, Country Music Marathon in Nashville, TN, April 25th.
    RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice return to Marathoning, Tom! Thanks for sharing this story. Be well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tramps

I will also miss and love Donna, but I still have a lot of living to do.
        My favorite line. Smile Even with an 1st place AG trophy (congrats!) this race was not about finishing times. You accomplished something much greater by getting out there again and reminding yourself of your special gift. Well done. I like your insights about kidding around…which is why I gotta say I’m surprised at those fast early miles; what a rookie mistake. Wink And that young woman is not alone; we're all in awe of your runs, Tom.

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

we're all in awe of your runs, Tom.
          Not just your runs Tom, there are qualities that can not be measured. Most often, when I read your RRs though, I drop my jaw at least once. Nice win on the AG

SteveP

Another one in the books. Maybe at 300 Runner's World will find you again. Take care.
              Way to go, Tom. Congratulations on number 280 and running strong. TomS
              coastwalker

"I will also miss and love Donna, but I still have a lot of living to do." My favorite line. Smile
                And mine too! Welcome back, Tom, and congratulations on your 280th, and on obliterating your time from last year. And congrats on earning your AG trophy even with the worm stop! Most of all, just welcome back. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm glad to hear you found your comfort zone there at the end - those middle miles sound long and slow! I really liked how you stopped to help the worm into the dirt, and how Donna was smiling at you for that. What sweet memories you and your friends all have of her. Glad you're back to marathoning. Run strong.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good work, Tom. Your stream of marathons amd ultras is nothing short of amazing.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Thanks for the report Tom, With all the adversity in your life right now, your ability to tough it out and continue on will serve you well on the roads and in life. Good luck to you. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

nowor

Nice to see you running again and recapturing your ZONE. Not only were your friends glad to see you but especially ONE WORM thanks you.

Marathon Maniac #957

And I thought I was the only one who stopped to help struggling worms into the dirt.... Smile Great job, Tom, and congratulations on your AG win!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I, too, love the line that Tramps pulled out. Quote of the day for sure! You ran a great marathon. I know Donna was there sharing every moment with you and giving you strength to do so well. congratulations on a well run race and good time with friends!

Tammy

Renee the dog

I can barely see when I race (and I'm much slower than you are). I'm impressed you even saw the worm! You will find your way Tom. Thanks for sharing your race report with everyone here. I enjoyed reading it!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Well done Tom and I am so glad you are looking ahead. We'll be following along the whole way.