Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

A Plan (Read 301 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm running a Half on March 21st (National Marathon and Half in DC). I want to blow the doors off of my PR. I'd love to go sub-2, McMillan doesn't agree based on my 5k I just ran. He thinks I'm looking at a 2:15. At 2:15 that's 30 minutes off my time - so I would be happy with that. So if that all you guys think I can do in 4 months then so be it. I'm looking for advice on what I should be aiming for. Right now i'm thinking take December to get to 30mpw, live there through January. Spend Feb/March in the 30-40 mpw range. I should have 1 long run and 1 medium long run a week. Should the rest be easy? Am I so green that more consistent mileage will be enough? How long should my long runs be? Thanks for your input.

A Saucy Wench

First, I think if you hadnt run the monkey 4 days before your 5K you would have been faster. No matter how good you felt, that distance did take something out of your legs so yes I think you can be faster than 28:33. Plus, given your training base, I would have very little faith in McMillan or any other predictor at this point - they could be off in either direction. I think more mileage will get you most of the way and I think it is too soon to say how much if any speedwork/tempo work you should incorporate. Ramp your mileage. See how your body is responding. If you get up there consistantly and your body adjusts well, add some. If you are feeling the mileage, dont. If you do feel good I would focus more on the long speed work like tempo runs near your HM pace over short stuff. I'd try to find another 5K in February and work that in to your schedule. I personally like my HM training to go up to 16 BUT that is because 16 is a comfortable distance for me. And on 30-40 youd probably be better off with shorter so you can keep up your midlong and your streaking.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You can go sub 2 by that time if you increase your mileage and stay consistent. You just...can.

Marathonjunkie

Ice Cream Man

You can go sub 2 by that time if you increase your mileage and stay consistent. You just...can.
          OMG.....I am just...well....speechless. This is exactly the type of kick in the ass people need. I was going to post something just after SHAN left her post about how she should go sub 2 in the half. Then I though that people would jump all over me for being an EP and that it was JUST enough for SHAN to be running having after completing her first mary. GOOD FOR YOU TWEAK. I freakin' love the fact that you stepped to the plate and put it out there for her to go SUB 2. Hell I bet she breaks 4 hours at the monkey. Go Shan, Go shan,..it's your birthday...get excited. I love newbies.
          Some guys will do anything for Ice Cream.

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm confused are you saying my goal is not realistic if I work hard? Or that I need more time? MTA: OMG seriously is that just dripping with sarcasm... I hate the internet.

A Saucy Wench

I'm confused are you saying my goal is not realistic if I work hard? Or that I need more time? MTA: OMG seriously is that just dripping with sarcasm... I hate the internet.
              lol. ignore him. You can go 2.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh Mighty Wing

lol. ignore him. You can go 2.
                I think he might have been saying something nice...
                  I think MJ is serious. You can definitely go sub 2, and like I told you Sunday...you can break 4 in the marathon. You're a lot tougher, and stubborn than I originally thought you were. You proved that last weekend. And stubbornness counts for something.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh so he was saying something nice!!! I knew he was serious I just wasn't sure if he was saying I was trying to put on pants 10 sizes to big OR if he was saying that he thinks I can do it too... Thanks guys for having faith in me!!! Big grin I think I can do it too!!! I just might need to come back for an ass kicking every once in a while! MTA: I don't think I can - I KNOW I can. What I'm not sure of is if I'm giving myself enough time... but I guess I won't know till I try.
                      Don't worry about the when right now just get the running in. You will suprise yourself!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Shannon, The 5k you just did was on very few miles, and shortly after a stunt of a marathon. It definitely took guts to get through the marathon, but to go sub 2 in your HM, you will have to be a lot better trained. Getting to 30 mpw will be about double what you ran for the 5k, so I think you'll see a lot of improvement just from increasing the miles. One thing that is pretty consistent - the people who have the most miles are usually the people who have the fastest times. I'd say you can get a better idea of what you should expect once you get a few 30 mile weeks under your belt, then run a 5k with fresh legs (not right after a marathon). That's my 2 cents. And yes I think you can go sub 2 - but ONLY if you want it bad enough to put the miles in.

Oh Mighty Wing

Tony - I agree. And I'm ready.
                            I agree about the 26.2 taking so much out of you before your 5K. Probably two hard runs a week is a good idea -- a long run and something else, mix it up -- tempo or even some intervals wouldn't be a bad idea. Just go easy the other days. You can do the hard workout in the middle of a med distance run. But I also agree you need to build to that. I think 2 hours is a good, realistic goal. But you have to train for it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Why is it sideways?

Right now i'm thinking take December to get to 30mpw, live there through January. Spend Feb/March in the 30-40 mpw range. I should have 1 long run and 1 medium long run a week.
                              Sounds good. I like the big picture outlook.
                              Should the rest be easy?
                              Yes. But run some strides every now and then. If on an occasional day (once, maybe twice, a week?) you are feeling your oats and want to cruise the last 15-30 minutes of a run, that's good too. Just not most days.
                              Am I so green that more consistent mileage will be enough?
                              Enough for what? A PR? A PR is setting your sites too low. Consistent mileage is an end in itself at this point: more important than your time in this half-marathon is that you continue what you have started. The process of becoming a runner.
                              How long should my long runs be?
                              I'd start at 90 minutes and cap them at 2 hrs.

Oh Mighty Wing

thank you Jeff. If I have more questions may I ask them? It might take me a day or 2 to process all this.