Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ft negley (Read 17 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

any of you run at fort negley? looks like it has a 1/2-mile trail.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

Pretty small, but a nice loop, really. You could probably connect some of the little trails with roads to make a longer run. The whole thing is a hill, so it's, well, hilly.

Hoodoo Guru

Makes you wonder what idiot general decided to put a fort at the top of a hill doesn't it?

The tangents are moot.

Why is it sideways?

I think his name was Negley, but I could be mistaken.

Hoodoo Guru

Takes quite an ego to name a fort after yourself.

The tangents are moot.

Why is it sideways?

Here ya go, courtesy of Wikipedia. Gotta love the South.

The construction of the fort was overseen by Captain James St. Clair Morton. The fort was constructed out of 62,500 cubic feet of stone, 18,000 cubic feet of earth and cost $130,000 (USD).[2] It was largely constructed using the labor of local slaves (including women), newly freed slaves who had flocked to Nashville once it was taken by Union forces with the understanding that their status as slaves was to be revoked were they to work for the Union, and by free blacks forcibly conscripted for the work. Records show that 2,768 blacks were officially enrolled in its construction.[3] During construction 600-800 men died and only 310 ever received any pay.[4] The fort was named for Union Army commander General James S. Negley.

MTA: also: During the Reconstruction period, the area was used as a meeting place for the Ku Klux Klan.

Isn't that the hill in the Graveyard 5K or whatever it's called? I hated that hill, and now I hate it more.

Elly.

tsk, tsk, Tanya.  It's the Memorial Day 5K.  Now that I know the history, I'll hate it, too.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Why is it sideways?

Don't think Negley was much of a runner:

"run" "2" "eat"

Gotta love the South.

um.... from the looks of it, it was the UNION not the confederacy that "forcibly conscripted" the freemen, worked them to death, and paid only a few of them.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

also, i didn't go over there today because i have enough damn trouble running 9m/m without a damn hill in my damn way.

damn.

Hoodoo Guru

During construction 600-800 men died and only 310 ever received any pay.[4] 

MTA: also: During the Reconstruction period, the area was used as a meeting place for the Ku Klux Klan.

Good God!  How do 600-800 die building a fort?

Speaking of the Klan, I went to a Halloween party at a bar out in Bellevue 20 years ago or so.  A guy that I knew was there dressed in a Klan robe (hilarious, I know.)  I thought it was just some cheap costume, but I went over and started looking at it and it was really well made and I finally figured out that it was an actual Klan robe (complete with the "pillowcase with two eyeholes" headpiece.)  My buddy would only tell me that he got it from "a friend."

The tangents are moot.

Why is it sideways?

um.... from the looks of it, it was the UNION not the confederacy that "forcibly conscripted" the freemen, worked them to death, and paid only a few of them.

God bless Amerika.

Why is it sideways?

Good God!  How do 600-800 die building a fort?

Speaking of the Klan, I went to a Halloween party at a bar out in Bellevue 20 years ago or so.  A guy that I knew was there dressed in a Klan robe (hilarious, I know.)  I thought it was just some cheap costume, but I went over and started looking at it and it was really well made and I finally figured out that it was an actual Klan robe (complete with the "pillowcase with two eyeholes" headpiece.)  My buddy would only tell me that he got it from "a friend."

Bellevue. Awesome.

"run" "2" "eat"

God bless Amerika.

the workers probably died of negleygence.