Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

big cat (Read 398 times)

I saw one on my run today... staring blankly at me, swishing it's tail. I didn't startle it, so it had seen me coming. I picked up the pace and prayed that it wouldn't come after me. I couldn't bring myself to look back to see if it was following me. I was waiting to feel it pounce on my back...I guess it had already eaten breakfast... What kind of cats do we have around here? I didn't think we had mountain lions. It was pretty big. I thought maybe bobcat, except bobcats don't have tails do they? Maybe it was that carcel thing that lived in the park a few years ago...?

The Thunder

I'm sure it was a Thundercat.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Did it look like this? I saw a caracal a couple years ago on the 11.2, but I don't think they're in the park anymore. I'm pretty sure they don't roam around Somerset Farms.

It had that same expression on its face, yes. It was sitting in the grass by the soccer field. That's gotta be what it was...?

Meh, $5 is $5...

Waz eet ceiling kat? Did he axe u 4 cheezburger? Ceiling kat only eetz cheezburger. Good Thundercats find, Thunder, but you left out Snarf. My first memory is from when I'm 2 and my Thundercats shirt got ruined. Worst. Day. Ever. Explains a lot.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Candice, was it on the 11.2? A caracal was loose there a couple years ago.
                Candice, was it on the 11.2? A caracal was loose there a couple years ago.
                No, it was by my house. It could have walked over from the park though, right? I wanna know what the hell it is/was...scary.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

How big (height, length)? Furry or hairy looking? It's highly unlikely it was a mountain lion - they are very stealthy and make sure to remain hidden - especially that close. Although they do have that "no fear" attitude... Bobcat - 25-40 lbs, slightly larger than large housecat, pointed ears typically with hair tufts. Spotted or one-color coat, more furry than hairy in appearance. They do have tails. Mountain Lion - 150-200 lbs (adults), size of a very large dog or female deer. Rounded ears, flat-colored coat. May be more than one color, but not speckled. More hairy in appearance and much larger than a bobcat.
                    Okay. It was a bobcat. Thanks for clearing that up. I actually would have cried if it were a 200 lb Mtn Lion. That thing looks scary. And I don't cry... MTA: Why didn't the bobcat try to eat me?

It could have walked over from the park though, right?.
                      I'm not seeing a wild cat strolling from PWP, through Hellevue, past strip malls and KFCs just to get to a soccer field. If the cat you saw had those long, pointy ears, it may have been a caracal or something like it...People get semi-wild cats sometimes, and when they find out that having an unusual pet means work, they dump them. I guess it's not unlikely that some ass may have dumped a caracal-type cat in your area. Don't worry, though. They're less dangerous to us than we are to them.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Okay. It was a bobcat. Thanks for clearing that up. I actually would have cried if it were a 200 lb Mtn Lion. That thing looks scary. And I don't cry... MTA: Why didn't the bobcat try to eat me?
                        They typically go for smaller prey, like rabbits, groundhogs, birds, etc. and the like (probably feral cats, too, if there are any in the area). They will also, if hungry, take anything up to small deer, and will also feed on carrion if they necessary. They are more of a stalking animal, and prefer to pounce rather than chase prey down. Now, if you were alone in the middle of winter, sitting still in a remote part of the forest, and it was really hungry, you might have some problems. MTA: If it was a mountain lion I would have cried too. Right before it ate me.
                          I'm not seeing a wild cat strolling from PWP, through Hellevue, past strip malls and KFCs just to get to a soccer field.
                          It could have came over on the new greenway expansion? I could hear it now "Oh wow, this will be nice when it's connected all the way to peagram...I can come and go as I please and scare the shit out of people in all over town"

So speaking of cats....I have to find mine a home before I move. Anyone want a 3 year old spayed/declawed calico cat? She's pretty, and she's really sweet.

Why is it sideways?

It could have came over.
                              McMinnville. Bobcats are really cool, but very shy. You are lucky if you saw one.
                                McMinnville.
                                You can take the girl out of McMinnville, but you can never take the McMinnville out of the girl. Or something like that.