Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

speaking of cyclists being struck by motor vehicles... this is from the local cycling community: (Read 302 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

March 2nd, 2011

You may or may not be aware of our colleague Michael Montgomery, a resident of Williamson County, who was severely injured in a near fatal accident on February 19, 2011. While riding his bike on Highway 96, Michael was clipped by a dump truck and sustained multiple injuries including a broken pelvis, spinal fractures, broken ribs, substantial muscle damage and internal bleeding. He was taken by first responders to the Vanderbilt Trauma Unit where he stayed in the Intensive Care Unit for over a week. After Michael’s condition was downgraded from critical to stable, he was moved to Stallworth Rehabilitation Center where he is currently living and undergoing intense physical rehabilitation. His road to recovery is going to be a long one.

Michael is self-employed and his one-man business has no other employees. The accident results in complete loss of income as well as overwhelming medical bills for him. It will be several months before he can work again in the office space he shares with us at McCann, Hubbard & Solomon.

To help ease some of his financial burdens, McCann Hubbard & Solomon is hosting a benefit concert and silent auction to raise money on his behalf. Puckett’s Grocery in Franklin TN has generously donated their space for the event on Monday, March 21st from 6-10pm.

This is where you come in!

Do you have something to donate to our silent auction? Does your company offer a product or service? Have a friend who has something to donate? Whether it’s a good or a service, large or small, we would love to have it.

Thank you so much!

For information on how to donate please contact:
    Melissa Cusick at melissa@mhslawfirm.com
    Shannon Richardson at shannon@mhslawfirm.com

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

Sad

"run" "2" "eat"

the driver of the dump truck faces no charges, even though the cyclist was on the shoulder and the dump truck unaccountably swerved and hit him.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

the driver of the dump truck faces no charges, even though the cyclist was on the shoulder and the dump truck unaccountably swerved and hit him.

How do you know this? 

Cry

"run" "2" "eat"

Why is it sideways?

That is pretty much the worst, most vague news article I have ever read. Sad news. But hard to figure exactly what happened from that article.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Holy crap.

He is a good man.  And smart enough to avoid Monkey every year.

Cripes.

Elly.

Aggghhhh.  There is plenty of space on 96 for everybody.  The dump trucks cut it way close and Old Hillsboro to Liepers Fork, but here is no excuse on 96.  They are out to get us.............Cry

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

"run" "2" "eat"

finally saw a newsbit on this story today. mr montgomery is suing the dump truck driver and his employer. why should he be forced to sue? why is the driver not charged with anything? according to the story, the driver's statement includes, "i did not see him until he was flipping." what the hell???

He is probably not charged with anything because there are probably no witnesses and no proof of violation of the law.   I am not defending the driver here at all.  Riding on 96 scares me, though.   I hope the cyclist prevails in his suit.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

"run" "2" "eat"

not arguing, just asking. isn't the cyclist a witness? and, if the cyclist says he was not in the traffic lane, isn't the fact that the truck hit him a violation? i didn't think you were allowed to drive on the shoulder.

When I saw that story this morning, I wondered the same thing. I realize it's not illegal for a driver to swerve onto a shoulder, but does that mean that all drivers (unimpaired by alcohol/drugs) are exempt from being charged with anything when they slam into a person on a shoulder if they simply say, "I didn't see him"?

What if that had been a police officer writing up a ticket? I'm thinking the truck driver would have been charged with something. Or, at the very least, there would be an investigation into the accident.

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, tanyo - if i saw you on the shoulder, i would swerve.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A large truck switched lanes today and slammed into my parents' compact car, with both of them in it.  It picked up the car, spun it around and carried it for some distance.  The car got pretty well banged up, my parents are physically okay.

The truck driver said, "I didn't see the car".

To see, of course, you have to look.

hey, tanyo - if i saw you on the shoulder, i would swerve.

Thanks!

And good grief, Trent. I'm glad your parents are okay.