Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Saturday August 2nd (Read 509 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So many of the lakes don't even show up on these maps. There is a tradition of hiking or paddling naked. You may never see a soul while out, and you may.
      I didn't read all this crap, but what we're doing this weekend isn't real camping since the campsites are all jammed together and some of the people in them will have RVs i'm sure. It's pretend camping I suppose. But it's in a tent so it's tent camping. The last time I went "camping under the stars" as you like to call it....I was on a horse "pack trip" for 2 weeks out in the Teton's in Idaho/Wyoming. We covered both states. We set up camp each night in a different spot. Miles and miles from civilization. We had to hang our food in the trees, but that didn't stop the grizzly bear from coming into our camp and scaring off all the horses the first night. Lost half a day of riding the next morning looking for the horses. Several other run ins with moose and bear in those two weeks. Bathed in the creek, but only twice. The first time accidently got in with a Moose and her baby. Slowly backed away Big grin When we wanted water we filtered it out of a creek. Zero degree sleeping bags, and a tent. No prissy air mattresses. That, was real camping. Me and Dad and a guide. What I did for my "senior trip".

Oh Mighty Wing

wow! this all sounds fun! And yes I mean tent camping to distinguish from rv or cabin camping since I wasn't sure what type of "campers" frequent this thread. However, I know see that even my camping is weak in present company! And Casa Banaroo - man am I jealous! DH and i have talked about it the last 2 years, but it falls during my last or second to last week of school and I can't be absent. ggggrrrr
          Mostly because you're Tanya-ing JK while the monkeys watch.
          A true work of art, then, I'm sure. Make many copies. Me like. Camping: hanging food and belongings 30 feet in the air to keep the bears away from it and hearing them snuff and scratch 20 feet from your tent. MTA: Oh. Candice just said that. What Candice said.

Oh Mighty Wing

wow candice you are hard core! And ok if I were actually camping like that I wouldn't do an air mattress either, but let's face it - if you are sleeping in a campground and have to listen to generators you might as well do so in some comfort.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes Candice, exactly. Most of the hanging we did was from brown bears, not Grizzlies. But on my trips out west, we did that now. Bears have gotten smart and many very very remote camping areas now have bear boxes installed. These are rugged metal boxes at established backwoods campsites. Rather than hang your food, you lock it in these boxes. (Many natural areas require that you camp in established campsites.)

Oh Mighty Wing

ohhh we had to hang our trash bags at the last place I camped. And while we saw nary a bear while we camped we did see some on our drive home. We were traveling down the road and a mama and 3 cubs crossed the road - that was COOL!
                  That, was real camping. Me and Dad and a guide. What I did for my "senior trip".
                  Awesome!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Yes Candice, exactly. Most of the hanging we did was from brown bears, not Grizzlies. But on my trips out west, we did that now. Bears have gotten smart and many very very remote camping areas now have bear boxes installed. These are rugged metal boxes at established backwoods campsites. Rather than hang your food, you lock it in these boxes. (Many natural areas require that you camp in established campsites.)
                    Well yea, we had wooden boxes that we hung the food in the tree with. And most of the bear we saw were black. The places we were camping weren't established camp sites. But places that the guide had picked out ahead.

Awesome!
                      We were supposed to go back in 2006 and travel other parts of the Tetons but Dad died in 2005....so obviously we didn't go, and so I canceled the trip and stopped riding horses shortly after. I'd like to go back again though and finish it up. Maybe one day.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well yea, we had wooden boxes that we hung the food in the tree with. And most of the bear we saw were black. The places we were camping weren't established camp sites. But places that the guide had picked out ahead.
                        I was not clear. Back in the day, we carried tools for hanging food in the trees. These were usually bags, but could have been lightweight boxes. These days, bears can get those, so the Forest Service has heavy weight boxes installed. Nothing can get into them, not even a tank. Many natural areas have designated campsites in the deep backcountry to limit impact from campers. Bushwacked campsites do far more damage to the natural country and distribute that impact more widely.
                          I was not clear. Back in the day, we carried tools for hanging food in the trees. These were usually bags, but could have been lightweight boxes. These days, bears can get those, so the Forest Service has heavy weight boxes installed. Nothing can get into them, not even a tank. Many natural areas have designated campsites in the deep backcountry to limit impact from campers. Bushwacked campsites do far more damage to the natural country and distribute that impact more widely.
                          We went out with this guy, Kevin. Looks like they've changed things a little bit since I went.