Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

What? (Read 269 times)

I just saw that the Tom King 1/2 is having an earlier start for walkers, slower runners, etc. They will begin 30 minutes before everyone else. Does this seem strange to anyone? Doesn't it seem like they would start after everyone else so that faster runners won't have to weave and dodge their way through them somewhere on the greenway? Maybe I'm missing something.

Lazy idiot

They did this at Columbus last year, too. I thought it probably had less to do with "what made sense for the participants" and more to do with not wanting to keep roads closed during waking hours. Bring your bullhorn.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

Weird. That's the one bad thing about Tom King--fighting the herd on the way back on the narrow bike path. Where did you see this info? If they do this, then I'll find somewhere else to run. Isn't Peter in charge of this? MTA: I'm making a thread on the Striders board.
          I saw it on the application and had to do a double take. Drew's right, probably, about not wanting to keep the roads blocked for too long. And, since this is a Striders fundraiser, they want as many people as possible to participate....And this gives walkers/joggers an extra half hour. I understand their reasoning, but it kind of sucks for those who will have to dig through the crowd on the way out AND on the way back now.

Why is it sideways?

I saw it on the application and had to do a double take. Drew's right, probably, about not wanting to keep the roads blocked for too long. And, since this is a Striders fundraiser, they want as many people as possible to participate....And this gives walkers/joggers an extra half hour. I understand their reasoning, but it kind of sucks for those who will have to dig through the crowd on the way out AND on the way back now.
            I made a thread. I understand the reasoning, but I think it sucks. Tom King is the best chance for a HM PR in Nashville. It's an awesome race for competitive runners and for recreational runners. And now the interests of the slowest 30 minutes are being put ahead of the interests of the fastest 30 minutes of runners. Boo, I say. But of course I'm biased.
              I say boo too. I would guess that close to half of people running this would say boo. I mean, those going out at a 15-minute pace will end up getting passed (somewhere on the narrowest part of the race) by anyone running 10-minute miles or faster. Seems like it could be a serious cluster.

Why is it sideways?

I say boo too. I would guess that close to half of people running this would say boo. I mean, those going out at a 15-minute pace will end up getting passed (somewhere on the narrowest part of the race) by anyone running 10-minute miles or faster. Seems like it could be a serious cluster.
                Exactly. I think it will adversely affect more than half the runners, and the half that it will affect are the half that come out to races every week, that are leaders in the running community,l and that are more likely to be Striders members (speaking of which, I need to renew my membership...).
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is your hurry? Jeebus. Tom King runs through Shelby Bottoms, one of Nashville's prettiest parks. Just take your time and enjoy the morning. Get your money's worth.

Lazy idiot

Some people pay per minute, some people pay per mile.

Tick tock

Hoodoo Guru

Easy solution. Just start with the walkers. Or hell, I may just start at the turn around point.

The tangents are moot.

A Saucy Wench

arrrrghhh... I hate when races do that. We have it happen on a few races around here, mostly so they can wrap up the race and go home at a decent time or because the park permit only goes until noon or whatever. Since it happens mostly in races done in state parks here, I am guessing the permit is by the hour and they figure they have to be there for setup and late packet pickup early anyhoo, so start the slow people early and dont pay for the dragged out end. Ugh and on an out and back narrow path. There is a women only half around here that people luuuuurrrrrve that is a double loop out and back on a narrow path. So you WILL catch the slower runner/walkers no matter what. And the worst part of the trail is just when you really have to dig deep (uphill at 12 miles in) and you inevitably run into the back of 3 abreast walkers. And yet this thing sells out in less than 12 hours. I dont get it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Well, Peter posted a response, but I'm still not clear on why they're doing this. I mean if they had under 30 people last year who came in at 3:00-3:30, why even have an early start? Apparently there will be a biker to holler at the walkers to walk in single file as the runners approach. Can I get a "yikes"? mta: Hey! Congrats Ennay on 2000 miles! Woot!!

Why is it sideways?

Well, Peter posted a response, but I'm still not clear on why they're doing this. I mean if they had under 30 people last year who came in at 3:00-3:30, why even have an early start?
                            Seriously. But at least now the topic has been broached publicly, so they'll be aware that this is something they shouldn't screw up.
                            mta: Hey! Congrats Ennay on 2000 miles! Woot!!
                            Ditto.

A Saucy Wench

mta: Hey! Congrats Ennay on 2000 miles! Woot!!
                              Thanks!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7