Nashville ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

OMG! Free Half marathon in Nashville on January 5th!! (Read 352 times)

Hoodoo Guru

Well, to be fair to Tony, he just put up my link which has the word in the title. I didn't use it on the Striders site, since that group can be a tad tsk tsk-y.

And meh..."bitch" is about as bad as "hell." As Amy said, if we really wanted to upset people, we would've called ourselves the Run Fuckers.

I have taught (or at least tried to teach) my kids that "crap" is a bad word.  And "dork."  People think I'm being rather Victorian.  Yet, my boss tells the story about when his 17 year old daughter told him to 'fuck off" for the first time.  And he thinks it's hilarious.  Another friend has a 12 year old who has teachers and parents telling him his son cusses like a sailor.  His response, "what can I do?"

So I feel we should be careful with the words we use.  And don't get me wrong.  I cuss.  Probably more than I realize.

So my new motto for 2013--"No fucking cussing."

The tangents are moot.

I'm all for not spouting profanity around young children. Who isn't?

I remember hearing some teenagers yelling the word "bitch" when I was 5 and noticed that everyone thought it was funny. Naturally, I ran home and started bellowing "BITCH!" over and over at my 7-year-old brother while both of us just laughed away, having no idea what we were saying. Then when my mom appeared with The Look on her face, the laughter ended abruptly.

So then I learned it was an impolite word and grew up to be fairly normal without running away to join the roller derby at 15 or star in The Real Housewives of New Jersey or walk around with a pack of Viceroys rolled up in my sleeve.

I guess my point is that I really don't think random exposure to (incredibly mild) profanity by strangers is all that harrowing to kids.

And for fuck's sake, we're talking about a link on the internet. If 7-year-olds are surfing around checking out the Run Bitches, they've probably seen a veritable slew of undainty words and "stuff."

Hoodoo Guru

So then I learned it was an impolite word and grew up to be fairly normal 

Define "fairly normal."

(Wait, can I talk to you here like I do in "the forum whose name I shall not utter?")

The tangents are moot.

Define "fairly normal."

I knew that was the weak link in my diatribe.

"run" "2" "eat"

when i was about 8 or so, at summercamp we were standing around the fire cooking hotdogs on sticks. in case you've never participated in summercamp hotdog cooking with 8-yr olds, i'll tell you the 8-yr olds nearly all have the same cooking objective: blister the dog - an objective that's smack-dab in my culinary skill wheelhouse to this day. as i was busily burning my meal, i tried to say, "this hotdog is burned to pieces!" but it came out, "this hotdog is burned to bitches!"

it was quite a scandal.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Hoodoo Guru

when i was about 8 or so, at summercamp we were standing around the fire cooking hotdogs on sticks. in case you've never participated in summercamp hotdog cooking with 8-yr olds, i'll tell you the 8-yr olds nearly all have the same cooking objective: blister the dog - an objective that's smack-dab in my culinary skill wheelhouse to this day. as i was busily burning my meal, i tried to say, "this hotdog is burned to pieces!" but it came out, "this hotdog is burned to bitches!"

it was quite a scandal.

And you turned out fairly normal Roll eyes

The tangents are moot.