Northern California Forum

Training for SF Marthon 8/3/2008 (Read 305 times)

I'm training for the SF Marathon in August Smile Wondered if anyone in this forum is training as well!
      I'm signed up for the 1/2 but am thinking of switching to the whole. Have you done it before? I did the 2nd half a few years back.

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

I'm not running it this year, but it was my first marathon. It's a nice, fairly flat course at sea level - pretty good for a 1st one.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          I did the 2nd half in 2005. It was ok, but not something that was memorable, so I decided to bite the early-start bullet and do my first run across the golden gate bridge. hope that makes it memorable (getting up for a 5am start or whatever it is has to be worth _something_!)

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

The 1st half is definatley the nicest view-wise. The year I did it (2004) the route didn't go over the GG bridge - maybe because of security reasons, I don't know. I started an hour before the main race because I am so slow. It was a magical few miles - lights of the Bay Bridge, the Ferry building, etc., Palacae of Fone Arts in smisty fog and lights. Really, really cool! I also ran 2005 only the 2nd half, just because I happened to be in the area that weekend any way. The 2nd half isn't nearly as nice, but you get the "real" finish near the Ferry Building.
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado