Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Green Monster Trail Challenge 25/50k (Read 25 times)

Brian Runner

EMAIL FROM THE RD:

"Green Monster Slayers,

"I would like to start out by saying that the Tyoga Running Club is really excited to be hosting the second annual Green Monster 25k & 50k. Yes, there it is! We added a 50k loop for 2013. And yes, we are guaranteeing the same nasty goods that we delivered last year. You will be confronted with steep climbs, rugged descents, stream crossings, and we may have found a little mud for 2013.

We are excited, but better yet, our sponsors are even more excited. Last year gave away 35 prizes totaling $2100 and this year we are looking to beat that. Ultimate Direction, Kelty, and Darn Tough Socks are all scheduled to attend the race to help cheer you on. But don't wait to long because registration is filling up fast. So far, we have participants from 15 different states, including California, Washington, Maine, New Hampshire, Kentucky, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Georgia. Wow! There are 175 25k spots and 35 50k spots still ...available. So don't wait too long!"

See you on raceday,
    Travis Twoey - RD"

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GreenMonster-25K-Trail-Challenge/240980766015651

Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/493398440699345/

Brian Runner

If you love Hyner you'll enjoy The Green Monster. Less people, same great atmosphere (food, entertainment, goodies). 4000ft+ of vertical for the 25k, 7,000ft+ for the 50k. The 25k has 5 climbs to Hyner's 3, making them a little shorter on average but most of them kick up to Humble Hill and SOB grade before you hit the top as I recall.

I ran the 25k last fall and have entered the 50k this year.

If you don't have a race planned for that weekend I suggest Green Monster.

Brian Runner

A little over a month to go. Can't wait..

Brian Runner

one week to go..

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good luck Brian! Run your race, not anybody elses.  Pictures will be appreciated! It hit me this weekend as I was at OC, that the foliage is great further north than me so it should be beautiful.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

Thanks. I'm as ready as I'll ever be I guess. Since August I've had long runs of 20, 20, 27, 26, 20, 20, and 20.

I live right on the Pa / NY line about an hour and a half east of Wellsboro. The leaves looking great here right now, so I expect the same out to Wellsboro.

I won't be taking any pictures of my own, but last year they had several people snapping photos out on the course... plus I have some friends who will be working aid stations.. so between the two I'll hopefully have something to share in my race report.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Go Brian!

With all the long runs you've packed into your training, you should do really well in the race. And remember, most important thing is to have fun!

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Thanks. Physically everything is feeling great and ready right now.... except an old ankle problem that just came back to pester me again for some reason. Gonna keep that baby on ice the next couple days and hope for the best.

Daydreamer1

Thanks. Physically everything is feeling great and ready right now.... except an old ankle problem that just came back to pester me again for some reason. Gonna keep that baby on ice the next couple days and hope for the best.

If it's just pain my son would say to man up, tape it up and run through the pain Clown.

But seriously, I've been dealing with my ankle all year and I found that a simple foam sleeve works wonders both for moderate discomfort and for stability. I rolled it again two weeks before the Mega and I ran both that race and the Blues Cruise with a lace up brace. It didn't hurt my speed or agility. In fact I kind of forgot it was there until I stepped on something wrong and felt the support. Just make sure to put some prewrap on underneath it or wear longer socks so you don't chafe.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Brian Runner

Could you give me a link to an example of the kind of sleeve you are talking about?

Daydreamer1

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11596154

This was the one I used for Hyner and through most of the summer. I've seen them at stores like WAl-Mart and pharmacies. If sized right it provides just enough support to enhance your proprioception and keep your ankle from turning on a mild to moderate misstep. I wear a size ten shoe and have smallish ankles so a medium fits me perfectly. Don't even really think about it being there most of the time.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11584721

A physical therapist had given me one like this from several years ago when I hurt my other ankle at work. I was concerned that it would be too bulky to work well but it fits nicely in both my Hokas and NB 1210s. With the height, the laces, and the straps that go under the foot and around the ankle it is very difficult to roll your ankle. I think you would fall before the ankle would turn over yet it didn't hinder my movement. I've seen them in some pharmacies and Wal-mart as well. Just make sure to either wear a high sock or put pre-wrap on first. I forgot to put the pre-wrap on at my 50k and had some chafing.

Hope this helps.