Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Permits to Hike or Run on State Game Lands in PA (Read 18 times)

AT-runner

Tim

I thought this was taken care of, but looks like they changed their minds again.  If you click the link from the "Proposal" on KTA's sight, it shows new regulations starting July 1, 2015.

Alert: Permits to Hike on SGL's

What do you all think?  Not sure if it's a "bad" idea or not. I've had to get permits in other states before in order to run.  In Oregon, I had to pay a trail usage fee.  Just not a fan of being told what to do.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for posting.  My first thought is I don't like it.  But I am not sure I completely understand it either.  So it sounds like it's still just a proposal? that it has not been made into law yet?

If it does happen, my thought is they seem to then have the ability to how many permits they issue.  Is this the type of thing that you have to get a new permit each year? before each "hike"? Or does the permit last until 2018? Do AT thru hikers or sections hikers now have to get permits? What a headache!

Some of my favorite trail running is in SGL (Darlington Trail & AT on top of Blue Mtn. and the Stony Creek Area).

So what if you have a hunting license and are out "running"? If the DCNR stops you, will you have to carry your hunter's license? Carry this "permit"?

Arrrrgggggghhh...so many questions.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got my email from the KTA and had some of my questions answered.....seems like the major issue is hikers (and trail runners) running during hunting seasons without blaze orange.  Has to be more than that!!!

But here is good feedback from the KTA:

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This proposal is scheduled to be reviewed by the PGC on January 27, during its next meeting.   Based on our most recent conversation with the PGC's Executive Director, although it is possible that the PGC will call for a vote on that date, the proposal would need to be re-reviewed and voted upon again at their April meeting, prior to going into effect.  In the meantime:

1. If you've already sent a message to KTA or the PGC with your concerns and questions, thank you!  Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming amount of feedback we've received this week, we are unable to respond to each message individually at this time.  We encourage you to forward your message to the PGC at pgccomments@pa.gov.

2. If you haven't yet voiced your opinion, we encourage you to send your concerns to the PGC directly at pgccomments@pa.gov, and consider attending the PGC meeting on January 25 (details below).    

3. KTA will represent the Pennsylvania hiking and trails community at the January 25 meeting.  If you have concerns about the proposal that you'd like us to address at the meeting, please send them to shanna@kta-hike.org no later than January 23, so that we may advocate on your behalf.  

4. We are seeking documented examples of how KTA and other trails and conservation organizations have acquired lands and donated them to the PGC over the years.  For example, the Thousand Steps, near Mount Union in Huntingdon County, was acquired though the joint efforts of the Central Pennsylvania Conservancy and KTA, then given to the PGC.   It would help us advocate on the hiking community's behalf if we had examples of other instances of cooperation like this!  Please send any information you have on this topic to shanna@kta-hike.org as soon as possible.

Planning to come to the PGC meeting on January 25?  Here are the details:

When: Sunday, January 25, 2015

Where: PA Game Commission, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA.

How: Registration begins at 12 PM, and public comments begin at 1 PM.

Comments may be no longer than 5 minutes each.  We encourage you to be civil and constructive; historically, KTA has enjoyed an excellent working relationship with the PGC, and we hope that it will continue well into the future.

Thank you for your time and help.  We will continue to update you on this important issue as new developments arise.

muppy

WOO HOO!

It looks like they tabled it for now, hopefully they just let it go. I wouldn't mind having to get A permit or even just for the primary two weeks of deer season not running on the trails, but from September to January is a long time!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

WOO HOO!

It looks like they tabled it for now, hopefully they just let it go. I wouldn't mind having to get A permit or even just for the primary two weeks of deer season not running on the trails, but from September to January is a long time!

I saw that too.  I wonder if they tabled it because they knew another issues would be even more contested - the issue about the young hunter mentor program (or something like that).  It was apparently a big deal with lots of hunters on both sides of the fence.  Maybe coupled with getting lots of responses re: the ban and permit helped.  KTA really helped to get the word out and encourage people to share their opinions.  I sent a nice email to the commission....and even received a response back.

We'll see though.