Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Eastern States 100 (Read 32 times)

Brian Runner

Central Pa just got a little more sadistic. I hear the route is shaping up to have climbing in the mid to upper 20k ft range...

https://www.facebook.com/EasternStates100Miler

I like sadistic- I'm actually considering thisShocked

Brian Runner

I won't be ready for 100 by next year (though is anybody ever really ready), but the plan is to be better prepared for a challenge of that magnitude the following year. In the meantime, it looks like they will also be hosting a marathon on the same day.

Sweet!  If I change my mind on an August 100, I'll do the marathon, for sure!

Daydreamer1

Sweet!  If I change my mind on an August 100, I'll do the marathon, for sure!

A marathon at that time would be great. Looks like I have to plan for this, either to volunteer or do the marathon.

Brian Runner

A marathon would probably work well for me just then. I don't race much, but the plan right now is for Green Monster 50k this October, Hyner 50k next April, and then I want to take a crack at 50M or 100k in the fall. A marathon in August would fit in nice.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I just saw that the Green Monster 50k is the weekend after the OC100. I don't think I'll be up to running it then. Sad

I think the GM 50k would be a nice one!

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Last year one of my friends was out to Oil Creek for pacing duties, but his runner had to drop early and he ended up driving back across the state over night to run Green Monster in the morning.

Daydreamer1

Has anyone heard any info on the possibility of a marathon distance? It's no longer listed on the web site so I didn't know if it was still in the works or not.

Daydreamer1

I posted this question on FB as well and the RD said they are hoping to open registration for the marathon sometime in September.

Brian Runner

From the facebook page:

"Just a reminder that registration for the ES100 opens tonight at midnight!! The course map, aid station list, and elevation profile can be found on www.easternstates100.com. Just click on Trail Page. It's going to be an EPIC run!!"

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm not going to lie...if I had a qualifying race under my belt in the last year, I would be tempted to sign up.  I think it will easily sell out quickly with ONLY 200 spots.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Wow, that elevation profile looks sick. According to that there's hardly a flat spot in the area. Oh wait, we Pennsylvanians  already knew that Big grin.  I'm predicting a 50% DNF rate, especially if it's hot.

Daydreamer1

I'm not going to lie...if I had a qualifying race under my belt in the last year, I would be tempted to sign up.  I think it will easily sell out quickly with ONLY 200 spots.

Wait until September and sign up for the marathon. At least you can have 1/4 of the fun!!!!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wow, that elevation profile looks sick. According to that there's hardly a flat spot in the area. Oh wait, we Pennsylvanians  already knew that Big grin.  I'm predicting a 50% DNF rate, especially if it's hot.

I counted 14 significant climbs from the profile.  That may be less than accurate since I am only looking at a profile and who knows what they look like in person.  I happen to be optimistic on the DNF rate - I think they will have sub 30% on the DNF the first year.  I am a bit surprised at only 200 spots for the race although I am sure there is a good reason for that.  I suspect lots of tough racers will do this race.  My prediction for a winning time is a shade under 22 hours...but we only have a year to wait for that.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday