Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Hyner 2015 (Read 17 times)

Who's going & what distance? I'm signed up for 50k. Let's meet up before the race!

Daydreamer1

I'm signed up for the 25k this year. I'm trying to get some good training in so I can run more towards the front 1/3 of the pack. Not sure how good I'll do with that , but that's the plan.

TnC - I saw your post in the dailies yesterday where you mentioned training for Hyner. Several years ago I did a lot of walking lunges when I was training for the Megatransect. I think it's one of the best ways to train for hills. As far as the downhills go though, I haven't figured that out. I did the 50k last year. I was looking at a time of about 8:45 until the last downhill. According to Google earth, it's about 1 1/2 mile long and approximately  15% grade. It took me about 45 minutes if I remember correctly to do that section. I was just cramping in my lower legs so much I could barely walk.  When you get a chance to run hills I'd suggest doing repeats until your legs are shot. Running down a ski slope would be great training.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sadly I am not.    Two years in a row I will miss my favorite race.

The best training for the hills of Hyner is of course to go do some real hills but if you don't have them, go to a gym run a few miles on a TM, find the stair machine and do for 45 min, and then run another few miles on the TM. It worked very well for me shaving 50 minutes off my time on the 50k from one year to the next.

TnC - don't you have a section of trails near Philly that has some steep hills? I forget what it is called but I remember seeing some crazy race through that.

For the downhill, do some stuff to strengthen the quads - such as sit against a wall and repeat...

My fav section of the 50k is a 3 mile downhill section (approximately 10 miles into it).  It is not very steep but keeps going and going until the very end which is very steep and dumps you into a long grudge up through one of the hollows.  Arrggghhhhh...I need to stop cuz I am reminiscing too much and want to run it now!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

I will be there! I'm doing the 25k... My first stab at Hyner and I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm just looking to lodge myself somewhere comfy mid pack, but I've been upping my hill training this winter because I guess it can't hurt.  I've run Green Monster the past 2 years and hear it's comparable to some extent, but there's definitely a huge difference in fresh out of winter running and fall, so that should be an added challenge.  See ya'll out there! Happy training!

Sadly I am not.    Two years in a row I will miss my favorite race.

The best training for the hills of Hyner is of course to go do some real hills but if you don't have them, go to a gym run a few miles on a TM, find the stair machine and do for 45 min, and then run another few miles on the TM. It worked very well for me shaving 50 minutes off my time on the 50k from one year to the next.

TnC - don't you have a section of trails near Philly that has some steep hills? I forget what it is called but I remember seeing some crazy race through that.

For the downhill, do some stuff to strengthen the quads - such as sit against a wall and repeat...

My fav section of the 50k is a 3 mile downhill section (approximately 10 miles into it).  It is not very steep but keeps going and going until the very end which is very steep and dumps you into a long grudge up through one of the hollows.  Arrggghhhhh...I need to stop cuz I am reminiscing too much and want to run it now!

We'll miss you, Jamie!

We do have Wissahickon park which is where I'm about to go running for a few hours. The hills aren't big, but there are some really steep ones that I like to train on. It's not easy to get there during the week from where I live with city traffic, so I only get there on weekends.

I've been doing pretty tough hill workouts on the treadmill each week but I'm definitely going to add in some stair machine workouts and other suggestions posted here.

Thanks for the tips!