Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

IronMaster's Challenge (Read 31 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I came across the website for this race on trailrunner.com's calendar.  Has anyone done this race or are you planning on doing it this year?  There will be a 15k, 20 miler, and 50k this year.  I am considering signing up, but I was hoping for some first hand input on whether or not this is a decent event.  Any input s appreciated.

Thanks,

James

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

I've done it every year so far.  This is where I run all the time, so right in my back yard.  Last year I ran with DW and paced her to second in her AG.  Not an easy course.  It's set up by hikers, and not runner.  Several climbs are hand on knee type climbs.

Here is my 2011 RR from The Forum that Shall Be Nameless 

Note: last year someone messed with course markings also.  Ended up running over 2 miles extra before realizing "new" markings were not where they should have been.

Edit - race is in April 28th this year (not in May like previous years).  I will be in town for this race this year.  Boo.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I would do it except it is a week after Hyner (my fav) so not really for me.....yet.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Thanks for the RR...now I'm psyched up.  I think I gotta do it.

GinnyinPA

I live locally, so appreciate the RR link.  I would like to get into trail running, but guess I'll stick to hiking the trails for now.  No way I could do those at speed.  I'd like to find some trails I can run on that are easy, but aside from railtrails or roads, there doesn't seem to be much for a beginner around here ;-(

AT-runner

Tim

I live locally, so appreciate the RR link.  I would like to get into trail running, but guess I'll stick to hiking the trails for now.  No way I could do those at speed.  I'd like to find some trails I can run on that are easy, but aside from railtrails or roads, there doesn't seem to be much for a beginner around here ;-(

Ginny - if you live near Caledonia, you can get to some easier trails.  The Ramble Trail loop at Caledonia is less technical than the rest of Michaux's trail. Also try the Smoke Zimmerman Cross Country Ski trails above Caledonia Golf course.  Drive past Totem Pole Playhouse and turn right on New Baltimore Road.  Drive tot the end for the trail head.  There are maps at the Michaux office, or one is posted at the trail head.

Caledonia SP Map

Smoke Zimmerman Trail

GinnyinPA

Thank you for the map.  We walk the dog in Caledonia all the time, so the Ramble Trail is well known, but I didn't know about the Ski Trail.  Someone told us there were bike trails near the golf course, but we didn't manage to find them the one time we looked.  How long is the ski trail loop?

AT-runner

Tim

How long is the ski trail loop?

I think the outside loop is just shy of 3 miles.  You can do some zig-zagging to get extra distance, or run past the gate on new Baltimore Road up to District Road.  If you go left on District Road you run up the hill to Carbaugh Run Reservoir.  Ski trail is very nice area, has some hills but is non technical.

GinnyinPA

We walked the ski trail loop today with the dog.  I can't wait to go back and run it.  Very nice.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Somebody posted a video of a section of this trail on the Ironmaster's Challenge FB page.  It has me nervous that theres not much of a blazed trail.  How tough was navigating this course on the day of the challenge?  I read the RR and I know its a lot tougher when someone removes the trail markers.  I guess I'm looking for AT to weigh in on this.  Thanks, James

AT-runner

Tim

Somebody posted a video of a section of this trail on the Ironmaster's Challenge FB page.  It has me nervous that theres not much of a blazed trail.  How tough was navigating this course on the day of the challenge?  I read the RR and I know its a lot tougher when someone removes the trail markers.  I guess I'm looking for AT to weigh in on this.  Thanks, James

The trail was well marked during the race, with the exception of where markings were moved or stolen .  I think that video was during a hike that they did to scout the course.  That video is the first climb / boulder field at Sunset Rocks.  Some 3 and 4 foot drops from rock to rock in that section and the video shows that pretty well. The people had poles, and I would never use poles around Sunset Rocks.  Later in the race, poles might be good.

The big thing about this race is it's a lot of hiking.  At least 4 major climbs and two good bouldering sections.  It won't be a fast time, but it is a fun time.  Very little of these trails are blazed.  They are mostly old hiking sections that aren't used much.  Some sections are mt. bike trails and some are horse trails.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

This is what I wanted to hear Big grin.  I'm in for the hiking/bouldering...it looks like a real adventure which is what I've been looking for.  Since it will be my first 50k its a PR any way you cut it so I'm not worried about the time.  I think I'm going to wait until April to register just incase, but this is what I am training for.  Thank you thank you thank you for the input...at least I have some idea of what I'm getting myself into.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

From the IM facebook page:

Registration stats: 388 total; 115 for 50k ultra; 110 for 20 miler; and 163 for 15k trek

Wow.  So much for the quiet little event I thought I was registering for Smile.  Comparing to past results, this looks to be about twice as big as last year...hope they can handle everyone.

AT-runner

Tim

Jamezilla, I'm heading to Pine Grove Furnace Friday evening to help mark the trails.  I have a 5-6 mile section I need to do Friday, and will do more Saturday am.  Not sure where I'll be before registration.  I drive a White Honda Ridgeline and will probably have it parked at the registration site.  I plan on being somewhere up on last major climb for runner support.  I was going to run some of the last miles with anyone who needs a push (and isn't running faster than I can help, HaHA) and then head back and do it again.  I'll check at the mansion for you on Sunday morning, or look for you at registration.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm planning on being there at 6 to register.  I drive a black VW GTI, I have a trimmed beard, and I'll probably be wearing a bright blue windbreaker.