Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Blues Cruise 50k (Read 26 times)

Who here is doing it?

I have my heart set on Vermont 50k the week before. But I know a lot of people here love Blues Cruise. IF enough people around here are going, I could be convinced to change up my race plans.  (No, I'm not doing both.)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I sure wish I knew if I would be healthy enough to run a fall ultra.  I probably need to come to terms with writing off 2013.  I've heard really good things about this race.  Does it sell out?

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Blues Cruise is a great race.  Not 100% sure of my fall schedule yet, but DW and I might both be there.  Labor Pains is a nice one to look into as well.  It's a 12 hour race on a 5 mile loop.  Both races have great support.

Mandy - BC doesn't usually sell out.  Glad you are running more.  You might look into a 12 hour event as a fall option and if it's not your day you can bag out at any distance.  I know at labor pains many runners come for a set distance and don't worry about the 12 hour limit.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

I'll be there!  It's a great course with excellent aid stations.  It's hosted by my running club, and the degree of knowledge within this group about what's needed to make a race great is incredible.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I don't thik BC sells out and if it does, it's a late sell out.  It is a nice race.  It is a fast course.  But my comparisons are not very fair comparisons.  I am not committed to anything this fall either but I have a short (not so short) list which I am considering:

September

Labor Pains 12 hour

Keystone Super Hike (now closer to an actual 50k distance)

Trails 4 Tails 40 miler

October

Blues Cruise 50k

Tussey Mountainback 50 miler

The Green Monster 50k

Fire on the Mountain 50k

November

Stone Mill 50 miler

My two IF factors are health and what my son's football schedule looks like (alternating Sat and Sun for games).  I want one in Sept and one in Oct and then Stone Mill is an almost definite in November if I am healthy.

Mandy - PA races are beckoning for you.  (when you're ready of course!)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Jamie - My XC team practices at Codorus SP, and the Trails 4 Tails course is not very nice.  You run along the berm of the lake for 1/4 of the course and in sections there is a big drop so your left foot is up to 8-10" above your right foot..  Also 1/4 of it is on paved surfaces, either roads or through parking lots.  Codorus has some great trails, so don't know why they use the sections that they do.  There is a map on the web site, and if you are thinking of doing it you might want to check it out ahead of time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamie - My XC team practices at Codorus SP, and the Trails 4 Tails course is not very nice.  You run along the berm of the lake for 1/4 of the course and in sections there is a big drop so your left foot is up to 8-10" above your right foot..  Also 1/4 of it is on paved surfaces, either roads or through parking lots.  Codorus has some great trails, so don't know why they use the sections that they do.  There is a map on the web site, and if you are thinking of doing it you might want to check it out ahead of time.

Last year I was going to run T4T until the injury bug bit me.  I kept it on my radar for this year as a sort of redemption which kind of doesn't make sense.  But my preference is Labor Pains or Superhike in early Sept.  I am leaning towards Labor Pains but who knows - too early to tell.

I know the course for T4T was varied but by your description it doesn't make sense.  Still a race I may do some year.  Easy to get into and not expensive.

On a different note - TnC - why Vermont 50k? I am not questioning it because I know nothing about it but just curious.

On a different note - TnC - why Vermont 50k? I am not questioning it because I know nothing about it but just curious.

I'm just very partial to Vermont (the state) as a whole. I love it there, and really wanted to race there this year. It's supposed to be a beautiful (but tough) course as well. I was originally going for the 50 miler there, but as it's too early in the fall for me, I decided to go with Stone Mill instead. Looks like I'll be seeing you there, as long as we're both healthy!

On the other hand, it sounds like it would be a really good time  to run Blues Cruise. I've heard nothing but good things about that race, plus it's also MUCH closer to home for me. Still on the fence...

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I would LOVE to finally run Blues Cruise! Injured last year and pacing Rik for his last 30M of his 100M the same weekend this year. Maybe next...

On the other hand, I am very much looking forward to Labor Pains. So much fun!!

What I did I miss with Mandy in PA?! Living in PA now or???

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

I would LOVE to finally run Blues Cruise! Injured last year and pacing Rik for his last 30M of his 100M the same weekend this year. Maybe next...

Everyone is all about Labor Pains, but I have a wedding to attend the night before... a FUN wedding with best friends where I would most likely get drunk and stay up late Wink So I'm considering volunteering there....way less effort with a hangover!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi Stacey!  Big grin  No, I am not living in PA, but my DBF lives in Philly, so I am now looking at races in your area for when I am visiting!

Running is dumb.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hi Stacey!  Big grin  No, I am not living in PA, but my DBF lives in Philly, so I am now looking at races in your area for when I am visiting!

Ahh. I completely missed the whole DBF thing. But do remember you taking a trip or two to PA. Just thought it was work. Nice!!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Mandy - is DBF a runner? trail runner? has any clue about your obsession with it?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Jamie, he is a runner.  I'm not so subtlety trying to turn him into a trail/ultra runner.  Wink

Running is dumb.

Guys I keep going back to Ultra Signup to register for this! I truly can't decide between this and Vermont. I wish they weren't a week apart.