Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

2014: Hyner View Trail Challenge 25k/50k (Read 26 times)

Brian Runner

http://hikerun.com/151212.html

Registration for the 2014 edition of Hyner opened several weeks ago, and given my penchant for planning ahead I just registered for the 50k. Come to think of it I registered for this year’s 25k at about this time last year. In the meantime I’m getting ready for this October’s Green Monster 50k ( http://www.greenmonster-trailchallenge.com/home ) which has a similar 7,000ft of nasty Pennsylvania vertical. After that I'll be in the market for a 50M for fall 2014.

Anybody else have Hyner on their calendar for next year?

Heck yeah!  I'm going back to do the 50k again.  Now that I truly know what to expect, I hope I can kick some arse Wink

Brian Runner

I ran 3:40 (156th place) for my first Hyner 25K this spring, but I feel like the bottleneck and passing traffic through out the first half of the race probably accounted for a good extra 20 minutes. In retrospect I started way too conservatively. I’d never been on the course prior to race day so the conservative start was part of the plan. The 50k though should alleviate traffic issues.

Daydreamer1

Definetly in my plans but don't know when I'll sign up. It will be for the 50k as long as I can use one of last years times for qualifying. If for some reason I can't do the 50k, I'll wait to see how fast I feel early next year or if DS is able to sign up for the 25k. I will only run the 25k if I'm able to start at the front and go strong. Traffic jams suck.

Brian Runner

I'm not sure if they actually check "qualifying" times. There was nothing in the online registration form that indicated they do.

I ran 3:40 (156th place) for my first Hyner 25K this spring, but I feel like the bottleneck and passing traffic through out the first half of the race probably accounted for a good extra 20 minutes. In retrospect I started way too conservatively. I’d never been on the course prior to race day so the conservative start was part of the plan. The 50k though should alleviate traffic issues.

There was some back-up for the first climb (Humble Hill), even in the 50k this year, but after that section, it really did open up.

Brian Runner

For the 25k the bottleneck before Humble Hill was the worst of it, but I found myself needing to get around people for the entire first 8 miles also. At least with the 50k it won't be more than 200 people total.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

For the 25k the bottleneck before Humble Hill was the worst of it, but I found myself needing to get around people for the entire first 8 miles also. At least with the 50k it won't be more than 200 people total.

The bottleneck for the 25k is why I will never do that event again (unless someday one of my kids wants to and then it will be worth it).  The bottle neck on the 50k is tolerable and actually a good thing - forcing you to take it easy up the first climb.  Although comparing the two conga lines, they do not compare.  I remember plenty of opportunity to pass on humble hill - but wisely chose not to.

I am mentally committed to Hyner 50k indefinitely.  I will keep doing it until I conquer it.  What does it mean to conquer it? I have no clue but I am not there yet.  Having said that, I won't sign up until later this year or early next year simply because I don't want to lose the money if I get injured.  It's capped at 200 and did not sell out last year.  (a side note - they have allowed 50kers to drop down to the 25k the day of the race if they do not feel prepared - while I agree with this on some level, people may get smart and sign up fo rthe 50k if they don't get in the 25k and then just drop down)

Oh and regarding the qualifying times for the 50k - the wording does NOT indicate that the qualifying time has to be within the last year or two like many races state.  I interpret it as long as you have run Hyner 25k under 4:30 at any time, you qualify for the 50k.  But I could be wrong.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

The bottleneck for the 25k is why I will never do that event again (unless someday one of my kids wants to and then it will be worth it).  The bottle neck on the 50k is tolerable and actually a good thing - forcing you to take it easy up the first climb.  Although comparing the two conga lines, they do not compare.  I remember plenty of opportunity to pass on humble hill - but wisely chose not to......

.....Oh and regarding the qualifying times for the 50k - the wording does NOT indicate that the qualifying time has to be within the last year or two like many races state.  I interpret it as long as you have run Hyner 25k under 4:30 at any time, you qualify for the 50k.  But I could be wrong.

- As far as the bottleneck in the 25k it was my own fault for not going out more aggressively. I was intentionally conservative, but I now know that I'm fast enough where I should have started further up the field when we lined up and went harder from the starting line to the trail. I walked past lots of people on Humble Hill, and looking at the times of some of my frequent running companions I probably should have come in between 80th and 100th position. I actually got beat by a couple friends (and I'm not trying to criticise them here) who I know are significantly slower than I am, and trounced by others who I am more equally matched with. If I go back and run the 25k again some day I won’t make the same mistake. As far as the 50k goes, just given that there are so many less runners, I’m expecting it to be less of an issue.

-On the subject of qualifying for the 50k, it doesn’t actually say you need to have run the Hyner 25k at all. There is a list of alternatives: http://hikerun.com/151212.html

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Like boyjame said, the bottleneck in the 50k is not an issue. In the 25k, it's probably going out very aggressively, and then keeping it up for at least the first half of the climb, which is hard to do unless you've trained for such a scenario. I have never run the 25k, just the 50k.

The RD's are appropriately generous with qualifying races for the 50k, as long as it's a race of comparable difficulty and a 25k distance or longer. If you can't find your race in the list of qualifyers, you can certainly e-mail them and ask.

Run for fun.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I am sure Rik will run the 50k again which means I will be there anyhow. So...at least considering the 25k next year Wink

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

Brian Runner

..... If you can't find your race in the list of qualifyers, you can certainly e-mail them and ask.

Its not really a set list of qualifiers as with a race like Boston. One of the options on the list, along with "Hyner 25k in 4.5 hours or less" is "Other 50k in 9 hours or less."

And as I said, when you register online they don't even ask you for a qualifier..

Brian Runner

Headed back to Hyner this weekend. Originally planned on doing the 50k, but after a lack luster winter of training, partially resulting from the brutal winter, i've bumped myself down to the 25k. Not in great shape, but should still be a fun day on the trails.

Daydreamer1

I'm kind of in the same boat with the training. I put in miles, just not quality miles on the trails. I don't know how I'll make out but I'm still doing the 50k. It may take me 10 hours but I'll get across the finish line sooner or later.  Just leave a little chicken for me!!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Won't be there.  Injured and more injured.  Still...

At this point Hyner is the least of my worries anymore.  I just want to run pain free.

But good luck.  Give the hills some hell for me.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday