Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Mile Run 1/2 (Read 11 times)

Looking forward to my first go at this race in a few weeks here.  Any information from past participants I should be mindful of? Obviously the weather is unpredictable at this point in the season, but are these trails fairly well packed on a regular basis or are Micro Spikes the way to go?

Definitely not looking to PR. I just used this race as a way to keep motivated this winter... So far so good.

Who all is in? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Daydreamer1

I ran it in 2013. Some of the trails are well established or are forest roads, while some you're just following ribbons out through the woods. If I remember the spring of '13 was slightly late and there was a pretty good snow pack in that area. The south facing trails were quite nice, just a little wet in places. On the north slopes there were areas of snow. Because the temps were warm it was fairly slippery. There is one pretty hard climb about 8-10 miles in, that is on the north side of the mountain. There was a lot of snow there and spikes would have been nice, but not neccessary.  The last downhill was on nice double track. Don't get complacent, there are a fair number of small roots sticking up. I badly rolled a ankle because I was not paying attention. (I was wearing Brooks Cascadias not my Hokas)   About 3/4 of a mile from the end you will go under I-80. The culvert will be full of water. Very, very, very cold water.  Be prepared to freeze your feet. The good part is it's not far to the end.

Overall it's a pretty good race and I would do it again but it normally falls on my weekend to work and It's not important enough to me to use a day of PTO.

Thanks Daydreamer!

I was hoping I could get away with a fairly aggressive shoe instead of worrying about spikes. One less thing to pack. I rarely use them anyway, but I figured if it was critical then I'd probably need to start adjusting ASAP.

Nice overview - I have been warned about the culvert, I'm definitely trying to not think about that until the day comes Smile

I really have no big expectations other than scoping out some new trails and testing out my winter legs, and hopefully warming up for Hyner.