Pickens County Y Race Team

Speaking of Nutrition... (Read 420 times)

ehunter

Eric, let me put it in terms that you'd understand....

suppose you had two teenage goats stuck in a fence.  Then along comes a farmer on a bike wearing spandex with endurolytes in one bottle and a placebo in another bottle....

nevermind, this illustration won't help.

The goat has really taken up with me since I saved its life last week. 

tweisner

My feet start cramping when I am swimming.  Does any of this apply to that?

- itri - 

ehunter

Thats it...add more fuel to the topic.

I've heard the causes are the same as we have been discussing (hydration, fatigue, etc) and I have heard it is due to the excessive flexing of the foot. 

For me, it seems to be more of the flexing of the foot.  It also seems that the more swim fitness you accumulate, the less it will be an issue (ie, your feet adapt to the motion) - which would tie into the notion of training as a preventative to cramping.  In my case, the only time I really experience it now is if I do a long swim after a long run or long bike - which would indicate that in thoses instances it is brought on by fatigue.

ehunter

Peter, over the course of this thread I hope you haven't taken anything I've said personal or that I'm attacking you - if so, I apologize.  Just being an antagonist and enjoy the debates.  Threads like this are easy to take out of context and not understand the atmosphere from whence they come.

I'm a simpleton - I only know about a tenth of what I think I know, and half of the little bit that I do know doesn't benefit anyone else.

After reading this entire thread, my eyes started cramping.  what should I do?

ehunter

Eric, let me put it in terms that you'd understand....

suppose you had two teenage goats stuck in a fence.  Then along comes a farmer on a bike wearing spandex with endurolytes in one bottle and a placebo in another bottle....

nevermind, this illustration won't help.

Actually, Josh, that did help.  It gave me a brilliant idea.

So, I went out to the back pasture and got two of my most gifted and most athletic goats.  Both are teens.  Both are fast and spry and wary.

I led them to the feed trough where I had goat feed awaiting them.  In one of the goats feed trough, I mixed enduralytes into the feed without the goat knowing it.  In the other goats trough, I placed only regular goat feed.  Both had water afterwards.

After eating, I took them back to the pasture and lined em up side by side.  I swatted them on the backsides and made them sprint around and around the pasture fence.  It was in the heat of the day and they were sweating profusely.  I didn't let them stop for over an hour.  Finally, I waved them in and immediately took their pictures.

Can you look at the pictures below and tell which one had the enduralytes and which one only had the regular goat feed?

Funny Goat 32

tweisner

After reading this entire thread, my eyes started cramping.  what should I do?

Thats it...add more fuel to the topic.

I've heard the causes are the same as we have been discussing (hydration, fatigue, etc) and I have heard it is due to the excessive reading of this thread.

For me, it seems to be more of the crossing of the eyes.  It also seems that the more reading fitness you accumulate, the less it will be an issue (ie, your eyes adapt to the motion) - which would tie into the notion of training as a preventative to cramping.  In my case, the only time I really experience it now is if I read this thread after a long run or long bike - which would indicate that in thoses instances it is brought on by fatigue.

- itri - 

tweisner

Actually, Josh, that did help.  It gave me a brilliant idea.

So, I went out to the back pasture and got two of my most gifted and most athletic goats.  Both are teens.  Both are fast and spry and wary.

I led them to the feed trough where I had goat feed awaiting them.  In one of the goats feed trough, I mixed enduralytes into the feed without the goat knowing it.  In the other goats trough, I placed only regular goat feed.  Both had water afterwards.

After eating, I took them back to the pasture and lined em up side by side.  I swatted them on the backsides and made them sprint around and around the pasture fence.  It was in the heat of the day and they were sweating profusely.  I didn't let them stop for over an hour.  Finally, I waved them in and immediately took their pictures.

Can you look at the pictures below and tell which one had the enduralytes and which one only had the regular goat feed?

Funny Goat 32

The goat vs. goat is a terrible example. Goat 1 is a subjective finding while goat 2 is an objective finding, If you want me to explain the physiologic effect of having the goat take Enduralytes by mouth but the downside is it might become less effective for the goat. If they work you take them. If you calculate the total goat composition of electrolytes or even the volume and composition of fluid in its GI tract you will realize that it is not much different than being afraid to pee in lake Hartwell because the  water will rise and flood the dam. There is no chance that the electrolytes the goats take will make them look one way or the other. They dilute out very quickly

- itri - 

pschriver

No problems at all. I'm actually amazed at how much physiology you know as a farmer. I sat on my bike for about 4 hours in the heat wondering how you learned stuff that most people have never considered. I am not attacking the importance of electrolytes but a product which is supposed to "boost the level" or "prevent cramping" by boosting the level" when in fact it has no more lytes then a bag of crackers, a gel or a couple swigs of sports drink.  

My answer for calf cramps is the same. Swim more, cramp less. I can elaberate more when I get a better internet connection.

Peter, over the course of this thread I hope you haven't taken anything I've said personal or that I'm attacking you - if so, I apologize.  Just being an antagonist and enjoy the debates.  Threads like this are easy to take out of context and not understand the atmosphere from whence they come.

I'm a simpleton - I only know about a tenth of what I think I know, and half of the little bit that I do know doesn't benefit anyone else.

Funny Goat 32

I just don't feel like Eric got enough credit for finding this picture.  I want to adopt him. (the goat, not Eric)

can i throw my 2 cents in to the electrolyte debate?  first of all I think Gatorade is underrated.  Sugary sports drinks have a bad rap blah blah, but let's not forget that gatorade was originally developed by sports doctors at univ. of FL for their athletics programs before it was sold.  The main electrolytes we need during intense workouts are sodium and potassium.  Gatorade has plenty of both.  The third electrolye is magnesium which i think is more debatable (or we need very little of).  Anyway, for a while i would use vitamin water or other mixed drinks until i noticed they had no electolytes.  I actually used vitamin water in my Augusta 70.3.  Anyway, lately for races, i use gatorade with an electrolyte pill or 2 mixed in (since they also contain magnesium).  I know accelerade is popular because it also has protein, so maybe that's something to consider for long races.  But let's not forget that Michael Jordan dominated the NBA (even with the flu)  and drank gatorade at every game.  Do we really need any more proof?  So i say Gatorade is probably the perfect sports drink.  Everyone else is just trying to take your money!  P.S.  sugar gets a bad rap, but that's what your brain uses for energy and isn't triathlon 75% mental?  Also, Powerade uses high fructose corn syrup.  Gatorade doesn't.

I hate posting something without making fun of Eric, but I have to go.

ehunter

Here is a link to Jordan Rapp's nutrition journal for IM Texas (IM Arizona is also attached).  Pretty amazing at the number of calories he is able to consume - interesting to read.  EFS is the liquid and gels that he uses (I switched to the EFS stuff earlier - still getting adapted to it, but so far I like it better than anything else) - their product has electrolytes mixed in - note how much sodium and potassium he consumed.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3955179;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

pschriver

Jordan Rapp's nutritional plan reminds me of a NASCAR winner quickly plugging his sponsers. He is a great athlete and dedicated to the sport but he has to make a living doing what he enjoys.

I think Gatorade is a great way to replenish electrotles and pick up some calories. I use 1/2 strenth at time to make sure I take in plenty of fluids.

The key is to keep it simple, convienent, and practice during training.

pschriver

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/less-is-best-the-right-way-to-fuel.8691.html?sect=advanced-knowledge-section

This is an article that down plays the importance of replacing what you loose. It's a little ironic on a site that sells supplements but I also think they see a bigger market in the recovery aspect without the risk of GI upset from one of their products ruining a race

ehunter

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/less-is-best-the-right-way-to-fuel.8691.html?sect=advanced-knowledge-section

This is an article that down plays the importance of replacing what you loose. It's a little ironic on a site that sells supplements but I also think they see a bigger market in the recovery aspect without the risk of GI upset from one of their products ruining a race

Great article - Hammer puts out a lot of good educational info -  but I don't think it downplays replacing what you lose, but downplays trying to replace everything you lose.  Thats where most mistakes are made - trying to injest too much while racing.

If someone has a bad race and tried to blame their ruined race on a product that they took, I'd have to laugh.  If they haven't used that product during training and don't know what their bodies can handle and to what extent that product can be handled - then they deserved to have their race ruined.