Pickens County Y Race Team

new orleans (Read 9 times)

Peter, good luck this weekend!  Keep us posted on your big race

pschriver

Thanks, still tracking down a fork for my bike

Anyone heard from Peter today?  I heard there was an accident on a bike pre-race ride.  One killed and two others injured.  UGH, so scary.  Pray for these people!

from the news it looks like a fire fighter from atlanta was killed and his brother in law was injured- I think it happened friday am.  They were struck by a car.

Lori

pschriver

I'm fine. I would have been out riding but I still don't have a bike. My fork was lost in transport. I have one being fed exed today. The guys were pre-riding the race course. It is a real tragedy. This town is really crazy. I didn't rent a car just so I don't have to deal with the traffic.

pschriver

If anyone is bored on Sunday I'm bib 1285. I will be starting very late in wave 14 which is second to last. I will be enjoying a nice, unshaded half marathon in the La sun.

tweisner

You'll do great, Peter.  Thanks for the race info.  That accident is horrible.

Hope the "fork" issue gets worked out.  Btw, what is a "fork" for your bike and why was your bike in pieces for transport?

- itri - 

I think the fork connects to the handle bars so that he can eat beignets while he's riding.

Lori

mrussell

Good Luck Pete

pschriver

Well the replacement fork didn't work out too well. It was 4" too short. My bike was barely safe to ride and tough to ride. I had my worse bike split ever. It was pretty miserable and I almost decided not to run.. I will redeem myself at Clemson next month.

At least you finished! I would have panicked.That's why I need a race close by to avoid disassembling my bike.  What is the iron man foundation (in ref to registering for  a race)?

Lori

pschriver

The Iromman branded races tend to sell out pretty quickly (like minutes) for the popular ones. If you are a foundation member, you can register a little earlier or get "charity spots" They really expect you to be willing to pay well for this benefit. There is also a CEO challenge at some of the races. If I remember it is $250,000 a year to be a member but you go off in the 2nd-3rd wave in most races

So i'm guessing that i cannot get into a race if it says IM foundation?  The fee was like 600 but I dont know if they'll let me pay that or do you have to do a fundraiser.  I mean that race sold quick! (augusta)

Lori

pschriver

Augusta doesn't sell as quick as some of the others but it is filling up faster because a lot of people (weak swimmers) like the down stream swim. You can enter but the foundation fee is about the twice of a regular entry. I think the halves start at $250. I believe part of the Foundation entry fee is tax deductible if you itemize.