Pickens County Y Race Team

Ironman Chattanooga 70.3 (Read 6 times)

Josh you are scaring me by talking about hills! Ignorance is bliss in my case!  Actually running hills doesn't scare me only biking hills.

Lori

I think the bike will be fine.  Especially since you guys ride rolling hills all the time! It's going to be a great race.

tweisner

Lori, what half plan are you using for Chattanooga and where did you find it?

- itri - 

I'm using the beginner triathlete free 20 week plan based on RPE. Its on their website under training plans and you don't have to be a member. I am three weeks into it and it seems like there is not enough running, so I'm thinking of adding in some runs.  Peter seems to think I need a different plan due to the runs....but it is based on if you have never done a half.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=16&memberlevel=1

Can you check on the bike mileage/hours?  you have me worried now.  i don't want to change my course of action.

Lori

tweisner

I will check that out.  So Peter, you got suggestions on a half ironman plan.  I need a "simple to follow" one!  I want one that prepares me adequately for the distance.  Not so much speed.  Just putting in the miles.  Going the distance!!!

- itri - 

pschriver

I think the plan Lori is using is fine. The important part for ME is having a goal. I set a goal and then complete it. It's not always pretty, but I do it.

So I did the threshold workout yesterday and my HR avg was 164 , is that ok or should I be working harder than that in the other workouts? I thought I was going to puke and pass out.

Lori

pschriver

If 164 is your average over the last 20 minutes, you are good. That will be your indoor trainer number. That workout is the worst. You only need to do it once every 4-6 weeks. Most of the workouts now will be about 5-10 beats less than that which will feel easy. How many watts was that?

Not sure power meter not working right but cadence between 80-90 and on the middle ring but hardest gear, couldn't do that pace in the big ring for that length of time!

Lori

pschriver

Thats fine. The watts don't matter that much right now anyway. I can't believe you broke my awesome power meter. You should be doing the Threshold test with the big ring on the front and a middle cassette on the back. 14-15 usually. Coach Troy will tell you which rings to use but he won't let you use the little one up front.

I think it's user error , not exactly broke lol I will work toward the big ring -I have been riding in it on the short intervals

Lori

pschriver

Most of the workouts are interval based and have you use the large for short periods and then go back to small to recover. First you will build your endurance and latter in the plan you will work on power. Just trust the plan

if a specific workout on the plan says, for ex., run 60 min, then bike easy; recovery... or visa versa, how long should I actually bike/run if there is no time period?

see: http://beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/halfim/Week16.pdf

Lori

pschriver

I would say 10-15 minutes to spin the lactate out of your legs, but I am not a coach, nor am I fast

ok sorry to keep asking questions lol but if for some reason you had to miss a week of training due to vacation would it be better to miss in the beginning or more toward the end (near taper)?

Lori