Pickens County Y Race Team

Supplements? (Read 127 times)

I'd like to hear what supplements you all take (if any).

I have the following: 

Multivitamins, glucosamine chondoroitin, fish oil, Advil. 

I take a multivitamin about once every 3 days.

I take a glucosamine chondoritin (joint health) about every other day. (this seems to make a noticeable difference, i think it works)

I take a fish oil about 1 per week

I take advil after a tough workout (lately pretty often because of some tendonitis in my knee) Advil with beer seems to do the trick!

What do you guys like to eat/drink for long workouts?

My preferred long workout nutrition: 

2 bananas with water 1st thing in the morning

During 2 hour workout:  2 sports bottles of gatorade mix with water (about 1/2 the recommended amount of mix)

After workout:  favorite:  bacon egg and cheese biscuit or granola bars and more fruit (apple).  I try to avoid doughnuts but that would have to be my favorite.

And you??

pschriver

I don't use any supplements. Recent medical studies have shown that daily multivitamin use can actually be harmful to your health. Mega-dosing is even worse. I firmly believe in a healthy diet. I do drink an Ensure after a hard workout because it is quick, easy and availabe at work.

ehunter

I don't use any supplements. Recent medical studies have shown that daily multivitamin use can actually be harmful to your health. Mega-dosing is even worse. I firmly believe in a healthy diet. I do drink an Ensure after a hard workout because it is quick, easy and availabe at work.

Peter, if I were the one who mentioned that I drink "Ensure", I'd never hear the end of it from Josh.  But I will say this, during Ironman races, I have been known to drink an "Ensure" prior to the race and again during the bike to run transition.  Great way to get a lot of quick nutrients dumped in.  It isn't so good going down hot, but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Supplements?  I take fish oil...thats it - hopefully in an effort to keep a borderline cholesterol level in check.

Long workout nutrition.  Usually what I take during the longer races:  Long bike workouts I will take gels, chomps, gu brew mixed with gatorade, a bottle of Hammer Perpetuem to sip on during the long bike.  Bananas too.  I'll stop at a store along the bike route and grab a Milky Way, Snickers, or Pay Day if its a really long ride and I feel like I need something else than what I'm taking.  For the run, usually just gels and chomps along with water or gu brew.

Now, as an after race treat, if there is a Dairy Queen around, its all about a Butterfinger Blizzard!!!

Since I'm a vegetarian, nutrition is a goofy balance, particularly when I've upped my training. Yes to Ensure (but not the vanilla flavor), Boost or Muscle Milk. Daily: C, D (I remember reading recently that something like 50% + are D deficient), B, Calcium, E, Magnesium, Zinc, Iron, Osteo Bi-Flex, Folic Acid and Glucosamine... After that, I'm full for 3 days. am: something like bananas or toast with almond butter/ eggs for long am workouts pm: brown rice, veggies/ beans or lentils/ salads with soy for long pm workouts I've cut out sports drinks unless it's been a really sweaty workout day longer than 90 minutes. And nuts are a good in between snack.

My prewash:)

As I get older and my life is more hectic running here and there from sports event to sports event with my kids, I have to take something or I couldn't eat right.  Having to work a job where it is hard to eat something frequently doesn't help either!

I do whey protein in the am with milk and pnt butter.  I take vitamin c, zinc, and b6 because i wipe snotty noses daily and it is an exhausting job.  Four year olds are a mess!! 

I live on greek yogurt apples and bananas and nuts

My sweet tooth is enormous but I try to save the ice cream for after a really hard work out.

Normally i just have water as I rarely exercise over 90 minutes anymore.  I have to drink 2 cups of coffee every morning or no one is happy.

I need to start taking the fish oil but can't stand the burps and my knees need the glucosomin again i fear.  Being active is exhausting!!!!  Still can't beat the runner's high though!!!

"Carpe Diem"

Yuck... Fish burps :P
              tweisner

Like Peter, I too, firmly believe in a healthy diet.  An Oprah show that featured the video called Food Inc. produced by Michael Pollan changed the way I look at the food industry and the food they produce for us to eat.  A couple of things Mr. Pollan said stuck with me - 1. don't eat anything your grandmother would not recognize as food (his example was yogurt in a squeeze tube) and 2. you can eat whatever you want as long as you make it yourself (i.e. I can have a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit but I have to cook the bacon, egg, and biscuit).  So, I do eat them just not that often.  I try to limit purchasing processed foods.  I have tried to change the snacks my kids eat to things I make instead of things they grab out of a box.  I would rather they snack on the pound cake I made than an oatmeal creme pie.  I limit meat and believe you can't eat too many vegetables.   Anyway, I could go on but I have one other influence to mention...

I attended a nutrition seminar at On On Tri that was presented by Rick Kattouf.  He owns a coaching business called Team Kattouf.  He said to eat more frequently and that meals and snacks should consist of carbs, proteins, and fats.  He said to eat something as soon as you wake up and to have a snack or meal every three hours. So, for me that ended up like this: a banana before exercise at 5am, breakfast at 7am, snack at 10am, lunch at 1pm, smaller snack at 3pm and dinner at 6pm.  I also drink at least 64oz of water daily.

I probably do need to take calcium for my bones.

- itri - 

I've noticed that Eric Hunter always keeps food in his fanny pack during his Zumba workouts.  Sometimes he has Twizzlers in it and sometimes Teddy Grahams.  Has anyone else tried that strategy?  It seems to be working for him.

ehunter

I've noticed that Eric Hunter always keeps food in his fanny pack during his Zumba workouts.  Sometimes he has Twizzlers in it and sometimes Teddy Grahams.  Has anyone else tried that strategy?  It seems to be working for him.

Stop ogling my fanny pack...I wasn't gonna bring it up until I was sure, but I've been wondering why you always get behind me during those classes. It makes me a little uncomfortable.