Pickens County Y Race Team

IM question (Read 141 times)

For those of you who have done an IM branded event....

I have friends doing the Augusta 1/2 on Sunday.  My friend's husband plans to pick up his own packet Friday but has to drive back home afterwards...can his wife (also participating) rack his bike/set up transition for him on Saturday??

ehunter

As long as she is registered, yes, i would think so.  No one without the I.D. bracelet is allowed in transition (ie family members or friends who are not registered for the event).

One caveat though, at louisville, they took our picture with our bike and used that same picture for "checking the bike out" after the race.  They may or may not do this at augusta (they did not a few years ago).   Even if they do, I think she would still be allowed to do so.

Last year, they just had people looking for bracelets as you entereed the transition area.  She shouldn't have any problem.  (shouldn't!)

Ok thanks I will let her know.

I bet some people look DRASTICALLY different than that before picture after the race!!

pschriver

I would suggest she e-mail the race director and ask. They have been freakishly vigilant at races lately. With the bad economy and racing in a 3rd world country like Augusta, they are at risk for bikes being stolen.  But than again, it may be no problem 

plus she will be bringing the bike into the transition area and not out of it.  so i doubt they would have concerns about theft.

pschriver

plus she will be bringing the bike into the transition area and not out of it.  so i doubt they would have concerns about theft.

I agree but the rule is you are not allowed to touch any bike in transition other than your own. Even if you accidentally knock over a bike or somebody's bike  is racked in your space you are supposed to get an official to help. It is almost impossible to monitor the perimeter so someone could get in and throw bikes over a fence or hedge. Unlikely I agree, but I would hate to tell someone it would be OK and have them run into a Neo-Natzi official who DQs them before the race even starts.

Ok .... so I told her it would probably be ok....on to the next question...he is planning to change shorts after the swim with a towel wrapped around him!!  Isn't there a "No-Nakedness" rule????

pschriver

I'm not sure why someone would want to change. I sweat so much my bike shorts are wet after a couple of miles anyway. There is a "no naked rule". Men also have to keep their "torso/breast" covered so no toplessness for men or women. I have seen people doing something in towels in transition that could have been changing clothes but I never bothered to ask. At the full IM events they have changing tents and there is no shortage of unpleasant nakedness there, at least in the men's tent

ehunter

Automatic DQ if someone gets nekkid.  This used to happen quite frequently actually - enough to where they had to make it an offical rule and have it serious enough to deter others.  Under a towel should be fine but he should be extra cautious.

I second Peter's statement about why someone would bother to do this. Maybe he doesn't have tri shorts?

He favors loose shorts with padding.  I'm not sure I've ever seen them except on him!  Maybe he sewed in the padding!

pschriver

"He favors loose shorts"

I have seen mountain bikers wear those but the chafing would be rough on a road bike plus at 20+ MPH the legs might parachute out and give the spectators a clear view of something that looks like he is sitting on a hairy, lifeless squirrel.

If he has a lot of experience riding in those shorts, fine. If this is his first half he may want to consider other options.

"sitting on a hairy, lifeless squirrel."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  wow peter, thanks for that visual

ehunter

"sitting on a hairy, lifeless squirrel."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  wow peter, thanks for that visual

Kate can tell everyone exactly what kind of experience that is.