Pickens County Y Race Team

Open water swims (Read 8 times)

pschriver

In-spite of the resent unwelcome drop in temps, it's time to start thinking seriously about open water swims. I plan to send out an e-mail and post here as soon as the Clemson Wed. lake swims start. In the meantime this link may help.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1917

tweisner

I'm trying to look forward to that but so far its not working.

- itri - 

pschriver

4 Steps for Overcoming Fear of the Open Water author : TeamMPI comments : 0 By Coach John Murray TeamMPI.com I really enjoy working with first time triathletes. They are excited about their decision to complete a race and I love being there as they cross the finish-line. Some First Timers will sign up for the race first and only then research how to prepare. I should know, I was one of them! In many cases, turning the average non-triathlete into a finisher can be like starting from scratch, but with some perseverance and motivation the dream soon becomes a reality. However, in my experience, the majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. There might be issues such as not knowing where to swim, having a fear of the open water, not having a good grasp on how to train for the swim, etc. But regardless of the obstacles swim training cannot just be ignored. So based on my experience with triathlon swim training as it relates not only to beginners but also many experienced triathletes, here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon. Following that, I have provided a couple of sample swim workouts to get you started. Spend quality time in the pool. In my swim clinics, I make a point of asking how triathletes are spending their time in the pool. Invariably I get the response, “I just jump in and swim back and forth as long as I can.” Although I commend them for trying, I also encourage them to have a better plan. At this step, consider performing swim drills for part or most of your time in the pool. In swimming, technique trumps power and speed. For instance if you get breathless and anxious after just a short swim, it is almost certainly a technique issue instead of a fitness issue. In these cases, we would slow things down, address the comfort/technique issue and then move forward. One of the teaching tools I use are swim fins. These relatively inexpensive pool aids can accelerate your adaptation as you learn to swim with your face in the water or develop the technique of breathing to each side. Eventually you will wean yourself from them, but at the beginning they are a source of confidence and propulsion. Another focus is on understanding some of the desired components of efficient freestyle: balance, alignment, arm propulsion, long axis rotation and kick. There are many swim drills to address each one of these areas. After you have spent time in the pool working on general swimming techniques let’s move to Step 2. Open water drills in the pool. Eventually you will move to the open water to practice and there are some techniques you can start working on as the second step in the pool - primarily the need to see where you are going. Without the black line on the bottom and the lane lines on each side of you we can easily swim off course. I use several drills for sighting and/or adapting to sighting; “Head Out” freestyle, “Alligator Eyes”, and just sighting every 3rd or 4th stroke. Head Out is just like it sounds, but you want to make sure you are keeping your head as still as possible. Consider putting a chair at the end of your lane to sight while you are swimming. Alligator Eyes is freestyle with your eyes just above the surface and the Sighting Drill will be regular freestyle (your face is in the water) but every 3rd or 4th stroke you pick your head up to sight on that chair. On this drill we look forward first, looking right past your arm which is out and front and just starting to pull, then turn your head to the side to breathe. Another in-pool open water drill is “Swimming in a crowd”, which is not really a drill, but a helpful manner of adaptation to the triathlon swim start. I will put many swimmers in a lane and have them swim in that crowded environment for a while. You can also work on Dolphin Dives and drafting after you have mastered the others.

pschriver

I may have to send it to your e-mail. the whole article won't cut and paste here. The link works fine for me but you may have to be a member

Im interested in the group swims ( wednesdays usually good for me) I'm guessing I'd need a wetsuit before the practice swims in which case its prob best if I either buy one or borrow.  I didnt see an option to rent one on the setup site for clemson. Also, I was told that the swim at clemson (in the tri) is approx. 18 laps at the y?  (crystal @ work) (who also said I may NOT need a wetsuit for clemson)  If so I need to get to work swimming!

Traci I am not excited about the open water swim either since OD told me he was kicked in the face last year and had a scratched cornea.  I will probably start near the back lol.

@pschriver- will u be around work this weekend for me to give u that reference form or should i get w/you monday ? thanks

Lori

tweisner

I may have to send it to your e-mail. the whole article won't cut and paste here. The link works fine for me but you may have to be a member

email it. sound like i need to do those things

- itri - 

pschriver

Im interested in the group swims ( wednesdays usually good for me) I'm guessing I'd need a wetsuit before the practice swims in which case its prob best if I either buy one or borrow.  I didnt see an option to rent one on the setup site for clemson. Also, I was told that the swim at clemson (in the tri) is approx. 18 laps at the y?  (crystal @ work) (who also said I may NOT need a wetsuit for clemson)  If so I need to get to work swimming!

Traci I am not excited about the open water swim either since OD told me he was kicked in the face last year and had a scratched cornea.  I will probably start near the back lol.

@pschriver- will u be around work this weekend for me to give u that reference form or should i get w/you monday ? thanks

Don't worry about what OD told you. I kicked him so I could beat him I'm not worried about beating you so your safe.

Seriously though, there can be a lot of contact during the swim or none at all. Just get into your zone, stay comfortable, and keep moving forward. I have probably done 40-50 swims, some with over 100x  more people and it hasn't been an issue. I will try to get a suit for you to practice in, but the only time I can promise is Clemson. Honestly, probably 1/2 the people at Clemson wear a suit. Most of the ones who don't are the students who are young an dumb and can tolerate the cooler water. I wear the suit because I am much faster with it on. If I was faster without, I would deal with the water temps.

The option to rent will show-up for sure.

I won't be working (hopefully) but I will be swimming/biking/running on Sat at the Y. Running on Sun.

So i did an open water swim yesterday in the lake and I really learned how important it is to be able to breathe on both sides when you swim.  I only breathe to my left--but there was a lot of wind and it was the choppiest water I've ever swam in.  anyway, the waves were pounding me and making breathing very tough at times. the good swimmers just breathed to the opposite side when they went against the waves.  I need to practice bilateral breathing!