Pickens County Y Race Team

Stress and exercise (Read 5 times)

Does anyone know or has anyone read anything about long term training/running and if that puts the body in a constant state of stress? By that I mean will that put hormones out of wack like cortisol? If cortisol levels stay up then that can interfere with weight loss amongst other problems especially girls...any comments?

Lori

pschriver

Read less, exercise more. Exercise will not harm your cortisol levels. Cortisol fluctuates with stress which is a good thing

tweisner

Haven't read anything about that but I am real familiar with the stress that not exercising puts on your body.

Anyone coming out Saturday for the Spooktacular fun run?

Peter, whatcha been up to?  Training going ok?  Racing?  Any races coming up?

- itri - 

I am planning on going Saturday if it's a no drop pace! I'm still recovering from last week.

Lori

tweisner

What's a "no drop pace?"  Like no one gets left behind?  It will be whatever anyone wants it to be.  Run it fast, run it slow.  There will be paces of all kinds there.  It will be fun and interesting.  I've never done the stadium steps before.

- itri - 

Like I mean not letting me get lost between the y and the stadium- don't ask how- I'm bad w/directions lol and not really that familiar w back roads of Easley but sounds like fun!!  And similar to the November project group (in reference to doing stadium steps)

Lori

pschriver

I don't have anything planned at the moment. I have been mostly riding to get Theresa rehabed. She did great at the Fondo. She was freaked out by the number of people there and the appearance of elite cyclist but after watching a few people crash at the start and passing no less than 100 people in the first 5 minutes she realized she would be fine.

Next up Tri-Charleston 70.3 in April

tweisner

Like I mean not letting me get lost between the y and the stadium- don't ask how- I'm bad w/directions lol and not really that familiar w back roads of Easley but sounds like fun!!  And similar to the November project group (in reference to doing stadium steps)

I have been trying to think of a way to do something similar to what the November Project group does.  This is the best I could come up with.  What they do is cool.  I'm just not sure how to implement it.  Maybe we could start out doing something like that once a month.  If you have ideas please share.  I had a real hard time coming up with a place to run steps.  As far as I know, Brice Field is it around here.  You can't get into the new high schools' tracks and stadiums.  Wren High stadium stays open.  Some YRT members might enjoy something out that way.

You won't get lost.  So from the Y you get on Main street and go towards downtown Easley.  Turn left at Pendleton Street and Gettys is on your right.  Follow the pick up line arrows to get to the back of the stadium to get in.  But we will make sure no one gets lost and I will call time on leaving the stadium to get back.

- itri - 

tweisner

I don't have anything planned at the moment. I have been mostly riding to get Theresa rehabed. She did great at the Fondo. She was freaked out by the number of people there and the appearance of elite cyclist but after watching a few people crash at the start and passing no less than 100 people in the first 5 minutes she realized she would be fine.

Next up Tri-Charleston 70.3 in April

Did you see Lance Armstrong?

Glad you both enjoyed the Fondo.  Super glad Theresa is progressing.

What about Parris Island?  I hear that is a fun sprint tri early in the season.  Anybody done that one?

- itri - 

pschriver

I didn't see Lance or George. Mostly just local celebs. It is really a nice event.

I have done Parris Island several times. It is one of the best pool swim events. The pool is massive, the race is well attended and the bike and run are completely flat. I have stayed in both Beaufort and Hilton Head for the race. If you can make it a long weekend I would suggest staying in HH. It is off-season and the rates are good. The drive is not bad,

there was an article on Yahoo saying Lance was banned from participating in the Gran Fondo because it fell under the USA cycling umbrella or something like that.

pschriver

It was pretty crazy. Some riders admitted they signed up simply to see LA. It was a sanctioned event and even though it wasn't a race, quite a few people dashed on ahead and were concerned about their times. If LA would have just been spotted riding the course the insurance coverage for the race could have been dropped and the future of the event might be questioned. Lance needs to clear his name with the USADA and UCI and he might be able to participate in future events.