Pickens County Y Race Team

Good nutritional advise (Read 13 times)

So this thing called "phase angle" on my bioimpedence analysis was low- ultimately meaning my cell membranes are weak/not healthy and that I need more protein (very surprising because I feel like I eat enough; mine was at a level of 4.9; average normal is 6-8, athletes should be above 8).  My cells' inner  water content was low- meaning they were dehydrated like raisins.  Most surprising was my skeletal muscle mass was low and bone mineral content.  I thought being a runner/cyclist would build muscle but I guess I have a lot more fat than I thought.  Pretty interesting.  My professor is also a runner and vegetarian and she said that hers was the same way. Now she is changing her diet around to accommodate and supplementing.

Lori

tweisner

So what are you gonna do differently, if anything?

- itri - 

Pretty interesting article that may explain why I haven't lost weight even though I have been using a fitness app/calorie calculator for a while now and usually have a deficit.  It probably also explains the results of my bio impedance analysis.

http://www.eattoperform.com/2015/07/22/fitbit-youre-doing-it-wrong-by-paul-nobles/

Lori

tweisner

Do you want to loose weight in a particular area?

What's your goal?

What do you need to achieve to stop dieting?  Do you just want to weigh a particular weight?   Do you want to change the shape of your body and you think loosing weight will do that?

- itri - 

I would like to look leaner and weigh less but with out compromising my cell membranes or bones which seems to be what the problem is. I've been eating less than my calorie goal per my fitness pal but nothing is happening.

Lori

pschriver

"but with out compromising my cell membranes or bones" You are giving way to much credibility to pseudo-science

I didn't think bio electrical impedence was pseudo. I thought just as accurate as dexa scan. Maybe My Fitness Pall app is pseudo lol

Lori

pschriver

I didn't think bio electrical impedence was pseudo. I thought just as accurate as dexa scan. Maybe My Fitness Pall app is pseudo lol

If you are asked that question on an advanced nursing test, don't answer it like that. Dexa scan is the "Gold standard" for measuring body composition. Impedance testing is ok but has some short comings. It is nowhere close to being as accurate. The algorithms that are used to create "health profiles" based on impedance is where the pseudoscience starts.

tweisner

Yes probably my fitness pal is pseudo.  I did that thing for like a week with my daughter.  I put in everything I ate.  It told me if I continued eating like that I would gain 6 pounds in a month.  My weight hasn't changed in six years.  I went over my calories most days.

that's why I think your metabolism is shut down.  I think you are under eating to fuel your body and it has gone into fat storing mode because you are starving yourself unintentionally.

Lift some weights.  Do some strength training to look leaner.  dieting is not going to make you look "leaner".  Dieting is going to make you loose weight in the places you don't want to loose weight.  Women need fat for their bodies to function properly.  Especially at your age.

do some push ups, squats, lunges, burpees.  and don't diet.  Just eat right.  Cook.  Eat real food.  Mostly plants.  And you will be good.

- itri -