Pickens County Y Race Team

Super Bowl Duathlon (Read 5 times)

Just did a free race and had a blast.  Just a bunch of people who wanted to have a training race.

2 mi run/12 mi bike/ 2 mi run

why pay $70 for races?

got 5th place (1st PE teacher)

1:00:22

pschriver

You also got a serious sunburn.

On a serious note, directing a race is a PITA. I think fun runs are great but the expenses and time it takes to do a big event justifies the added cost IMHO.

Timing companies, paying off-duty officers to man dangerous intersections justify the price at some races. At others, it doesn't. As a former RD I thought you would be more sympathetic. We (hopefully not  just me) will be attempting to pull off the 1st half marathon in Pickens county. The course will include almost 9 miles on our newly  constructed Doodle Trail. Hopefully, the price of the event will reflect the quality of the event. It should be as flat and fast as some of the coastal races.

tweisner

Congratulations.  You can log that in and get participation points.  It was timed. And with the bike rack and things, it looks official.

We could do that out at Donaldson Center I bet.

Looks like it was a lot of fun.

- itri - 

Free races are cool but I like to get a t shirt,so I'm willing to pay the price

Lori

You also got a serious sunburn.

On a serious note, directing a race is a PITA. I think fun runs are great but the expenses and time it takes to do a big event justifies the added cost IMHO.

Timing companies, paying off-duty officers to man dangerous intersections justify the price at some races. At others, it doesn't. As a former RD I thought you would be more sympathetic. We (hopefully not  just me) will be attempting to pull off the 1st half marathon in Pickens county. The course will include almost 9 miles on our newly  constructed Doodle Trail. Hopefully, the price of the event will reflect the quality of the event. It should be as flat and fast as some of the coastal races.

Isn't there a Clemson Half Marathon in Pickens County?  Easter?

You're right Peter, I agree, good races are definitely worth the expense.  But, I would say "competitive training" should be done a lot more.  It can be just as fun and just as competitive.  Actually more so because you know more of the people personally.  But yes, it has to be done in a safe area so you don't need cops at intersections.  We do free 5k's every saturday www.parkrun.us and i have a free tri/du series called S4 that has a set 2015 schedule now.  see Facebook: Sunday Sunrise Sprint.  Check those dates and maybe you can plan a trip to Orlando when we have one of those FREE training races!

pschriver

You are Correct about the Easter Half. I forgot about that race and the fact that Clemson is in Pickens county. It also may make me re-think the dates.

One of the nicer things about living in a urban area vs. rural is having a strong Parks and Recreation Department that is funded by a solid hospitality tax. It doesn't work as well in a rural setting when you are surviving off donations from private businesses.

My son is getting a little old for Orlando. He starts college next year and probably won't want to travel with us so we may be taking our daughter at some point.

pschriver

Congratulations.  You can log that in and get participation points.  It was timed. And with the bike rack and things, it looks official.

We could do that out at Donaldson Center I bet.

Looks like it was a lot of fun.

This was done at Furman a couple of times when the Greenville Tri-Club was active. I did it once and about 10 people showed up. A run/bike/run is a great workout. Speaking of that, The 2/20/2 duathlon is in 2 weeks in Peidmont

Fyi Clemson is no longer doing the Easter bunny half - saw that on Facebook I think.

Lori