Pickens County Y Race Team

A biking first.... (Read 12 times)

Sooooo this morning I am biking down a quiet country road enjoying the cool weather when a BIG pick-up truck honks behind me.  I jumped and they pulled beside me and a BIG, BARE BUTT is hanging out the window along with a middle finger!!!  THAT was a first!!!  I guess I should be thankful I was on that side of it and not where his two buddies inside the truck were viewing it from!!!!  Shocked

If I could of acted quick enough I would of aimed my mace right at his hiney!!!  OUCH!

Share YOUR crazy bike stories!!

pschriver

Sounds like Eric and Josh were carpooling from church today.

ehunter

Josh can't stick his butt out the window because all of the wind makes his butt hair get tangled up.

That's pretty funny.  I have no funny stories...I've had batteries, bottles, drinks, and a few other things thrown at me.  I've had people lean out of the passenger window and try to grab me.  I've been "buzzed" countless times.  I've been yelled at, cursed at, birdied, etc.  I've had a couple of people pull over and wait for me and want to fight.  I've had cars pull over in front of me and slam on brakes to try and make me run into the back of them.  I've had Josh whine and cry the whole ride.  Matter of fact, you know how Peter does the "Winery Ride"?  When Josh rides with me, I call it the "Whinery Ride".

On a serious note, there were 2 people killed on bikes last week.  One was a biker on the roads between Spartanburg and Union who was struck by a 75 year old man.  The other was a female hit in Woodruff.  Be careful.

pschriver

I will have to rename all of my rides to "whinery rides" since everyone seems to complain that they are always a couple of miles longer than advertised. I honestly can't be held at complete fault in light of DOT road closings and picking gentler climbs at the expense of slightly longer routes but hopefully I made up for it yesterday by buying all of my victims lunch.

I don't know- Midway road had a beastly hill I think u sugar coated it a bit ! I shoulda got lunch for that Smile but at least u got "whine"

Lori

tweisner

I will have to rename all of my rides to "whinery rides" since everyone seems to complain that they are always a couple of miles longer than advertised. I honestly can't be held at complete fault in light of DOT road closings and picking gentler climbs at the expense of slightly longer routes but hopefully I made up for it yesterday by buying all of my victims lunch.

Wait wait wait...you picked gentler climbs?  oh my, well thanks for that.  The phrase "riding UP to the winery" should have been my big clue.  But most definitely...buying lunch made up for it.

- itri - 

Peter, for future reference, please announce if you are buying lunch the day before so I can cancel other plans and join you. Maybe we could ride to Carrabbas next week?

Sooooo this morning I am biking down a quiet country road enjoying the cool weather when a BIG pick-up truck honks behind me.  I jumped and they pulled beside me and a BIG, BARE BUTT is hanging out the window along with a middle finger!!!  THAT was a first!!!  I guess I should be thankful I was on that side of it and not where his two buddies inside the truck were viewing it from!!!!  Shocked

If I could of acted quick enough I would of aimed my mace right at his hiney!!!  OUCH!

Share YOUR crazy bike stories!!

Cindy, that is ridiculous!!  a few weeks ago on a ride some lady laid on the horn and flicked me off as she went past.  She was furious and I have no idea why.  i was riding on the very edge of the road.  Which is why I am a big fan of stationary bikes.

pschriver

Cindy, that is ridiculous!!  a few weeks ago on a ride some lady laid on the horn and flicked me off as she went past.  She was furious and I have no idea why.  i was riding on the very edge of the road.  Which is why I am a big fan of stationary bikes.

Not to go too far off topic, but I hate trainer rides but it beats riding outside occasionally. With a good fan and a video to distract you, it can be almost as nice as riding outside. With a little rigging you can set up a powermeter for under $100 on most trainers and for me, trying to stay in preset zones for defined intervals has really helped with my cycling. It really makes the time go by quickly. You miss the beauty of being outside, but it is a lot safer and you can do it early in the morning and later at night when it is still dark outside.

Its a toss up Peter...Coach Troy or a big, hairy butt...mmmm.

I'm kidding.  I still use those dvd's when I ride the trainer and they are very challenging!!  Not quite as challenging as my "Dancing Queen" Spin Class but close!  Wink

pschriver

Peter, for future reference, please announce if you are buying lunch the day before so I can cancel other plans and join you. Maybe we could ride to Carrabbas next week?

Carrabbas sounds good but I'm sure you will get flicked off more than once or twice as we go down that last little stretch on Woodroof Rd. Especially if we shoot for a 5-6 dinner time

My prewash:)

Wow!!! I would have laughed myself right off the road on that one! Mine has only been the guy in the tues night rideBig grin

"Carpe Diem"