Pickens County Y Race Team

Columbia Tri (Read 9 times)

ahhjdd

Anybody going to do the Columbia Tri on 3/23?

pschriver

I'm not doing the race but can give a little info about it if you are interested.

The swim is a pool swim and fairly organized.

The bike course is very similar to the Caine -Halter course. It is 3 x 3 mile loops where you go uphill, flat downhill, flat and repeat. By the end it feels mostly uphill. The bike course is supposed to change this year. It wasn't an overly safe course and someone got bumped by a car the first year. In the description they make a point to say it is safer and will be well patrolled this year.

The run is partly on a long overpass and you had to run up stairs to get there. My understanding is the run hasn't changed.

My first race this year will be NOLA 70.3. Once I finish that, I will do some sprints.

tweisner

Anybody going to do the Columbia Tri on 3/23?

So are you gonna do it?

- itri - 

ahhjdd

I think Eric talked me out of it this morning.   He said it is a loop bike ride and really sucks.   He said to wait till Anderson.   I knew it would work with my schedule.

When is Anderson ?

Lori

pschriver

Anderson is Sunday April 27.  http://www.active.com/anderson-sc/triathlon/races/anderson-area-ymca-triathlon-2014

I don't want to say anything negative about races but I agree with Eric. I would not go out of my way for the Columbia downtown race. I also wouldn't judge triathlons based on the Anderson race. I have done Anderson twice and my wife did it once. It is not very well attended and not exactly a good layout for a race. If you can hold off for a couple more weeks, the Clemson race is much better. IMHO

If you want to do an April race consider the Azalea Fest 5k in Pickens. It is an extremely challenging route in downtown Pickens (assuming the festival organizers allow the route) . It is scheduled for Sat April 19th at 8:00 am. http://www.pickensazaleafestival.org/schedule

tweisner

Sometimes not being very well attended can be good.  Everyone needs a first time tri.  Mine was Tri the Ridge and there was 84 people.  I was the 2nd to last swimmer to go in the pool.  Which is where I wanted to be.  So that was good.  Not a long line and no pressure. Clemson as a first tri could be very intimidating.

Provided on April 27 it is not a gully washer like it was last year, I think Anderson would be a great first tri.  Go for it, Jared.  I might, too.  Then do Clemson.

- itri - 

"Provided on April 27 it is not a gully washer like it was last year,"

Traci, thank you for teaching me a new Pickens county term.  I thought I had heard them all but I was wrong.  Dadgummit!

p.s. I really enjoyed the Anderson bike route.  I wish I could have done it without the cold gully washer.  it's a rare opportunity to go straight and fast without thinking too much about turns,traffic or hills.

pschriver

I hope my comments didn't sound negative about the Anderson race. I agree with Josh on the bike. If it goes straight out 81 and back, it is awesome. If the bike loops back through the neighbourhoods, not so good. The run wasn't all that great a couple of years ago when they had you do loops around the parking lot to make it 3.1 miles but I think that has changed also.

I also agree with Traci in that a small, pool swim tri is not a bad way to start. If your an adrenaline jockey, it may seem anti climatic but I can assure you that the larger races will meet your expectations for excitement.

tweisner

Anybody thinking of doing the Anderson Y Tri?

- itri -