Pickens County Y Race Team

Swimming (Read 12 times)

hey guys, i went to a local tri club meeting last night and found out that Sara McLarty was one of the leaders.  She is a world class swimmer and I noticed that she has a swim workout blog on her website.  Just thought it might come in handy for your masters swim meetings.  Maybe someone could forward it to Dee?

check out the blog on her website:  http://www.saramclarty.com/

Also check out some of her articles from Triathlete magazine (there is a link on her website).  I have to admit it makes me miss the saturday morning swim sessions at Pickens.  Do you guys still do them?

Sorry for posting another thing....

but the other lady that was leading the tri club meeting was Kimberly Grogan and i just found an interesting article about her from a few years ago.  She has some S.C. ties:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-10-20/sports/os-kimberly-grogan-hawaii-ironman-20111018_1_kimberly-grogan-hawaii-ironman-clermont-triathlete

tweisner

Also check out some of her articles from Triathlete magazine (there is a link on her website).  I have to admit it makes me miss the saturday morning swim sessions at Pickens.  Do you guys still do them?

Yes, some guys still do them.  I don't make it there.  But its still going on.  I think they have a pretty good group.

- itri - 

pschriver

I went today and was one of 2 with no instructor. Prior to getting dressed out I ask the people at the front desk if the Master's swim was going to happen. The girl responded with a "yes" or maybe a "pretty sure it will".   I was joined by another gentleman who was planning on the session also. He seemed a little disappointed but we did our own thing and it worked out OK. I hope attendance will improve as we get closer to race season.

Yeah once it's warmer, once I get rid of the holiday poundage and we start riding afterwards I'll come but when I did go I didn't really receive much instruction.  I just don't get as good a workout swimming as with running.

Lori

pschriver

The pool feels warmer to me when it's cold outside. I wouldn’t expect much instruction  at a masters swim session. They are designed to have structured workouts and to use peer pressure to push your comfort level. You start in the slower lanes and follow the beginner workouts and as your speed increases, move to the intermediate and advanced lanes. Ideally there will be more help and stroke correction in the slower lanes. You will get a lot faster swimming using a structured plan than just swimming laps.

pschriver

Remember Sat swim sessions at 9:00 followed by a bike ride. Only 2 laps for me this week as I head into my taper.

tweisner

Wait a minute, you came to the pool Saturday to swim 2 laps?

- itri - 

tweisner

Yeah once it's warmer, once I get rid of the holiday poundage and we start riding afterwards I'll come but when I did go I didn't really receive much instruction.  I just don't get as good a workout swimming as with running.

No, you don't get the same workout with swimming as you do running.  Swimming is not running.  But you can get a good workout.  It doesn't feel the same and you recover almost immediately.  But you can be huffing and puffing with swimming.

And you can get some good instructions just from the other swimmers that are there.  There are also some good swimming tips on the YRT bulletin board.  Read that next time you go.

Swim workouts were hard for me to understand at first.  It can seem like algebra when its written down with T-pace and 100s, 50s, and 15x100x10-20 sec rest.

What was more simple for me was something like this:

warm up 2 laps

1 lap fast, 1 lap slow,

2 laps fast, 2 laps slow

3 laps fast, 3 laps slow

Rest 1 minute then back it down

3 laps fast, 3 laps slow

2 laps fast, 2 laps slow

1 lap fast, 1 lap slow

cool down 2 laps

That's way harder than it sounds.

The other thing that has helped me it using the swimming accessories (buoy, kick board, fins)

- itri - 

pschriver

Wait a minute, you came to the pool Saturday to swim 2 laps?

I mostly go to the Y to walk around the locker room naked and creep-out all of the young people. It's my prerogative now that I'm 50.

I meant 2 laps on the bike. I ended up doing it in the basement due to the rain anyway. I swam a lot more than 2 laps. 56 laps to be precise.

When I was being coached for swimming, the workouts were far from easy. Most of the sessions were 1800 meters. I would finish the sessions dizzy feeling like I was about to puke. I would lay on the bench in the locker room catching my breath. I had a female coach and I didn't want to look wimpy. I was a much faster swimmer at that point but I also realized your not going to do well with a good swim and poor run so I spend more time running now

I'll prob come this coming Saturday . I worked this weekend and couldnt make it.Thanks for the sample workout, it seems easier to understand.  I did feel like I was huffing and puffing  last week trying to stay out of the old guys way - I think I stole his lane lol.

Traci- I tried to go look for the wetsuit but goodwills parking lot was overloaded so I just decided to try another day. Thanks for alerting me though!

DR.-  I like the template of the tri-top. Can we get it in orange and purple?

Lori

tweisner

Well if you are talking about the bike then that is "two loops".

LOL

I will be laughing about that all day.

56 laps - yeah that was alot

I only did 27.

- itri - 

When do open water swims start at keowee? I saw a post from gvl tri group on Facebook that some are going today- seems too cold yet but I'd like to go at least twice before chatt. Maybe in the next couple of weeks, If anyone is interested lmk.

Lori

pschriver

When do open water swims start at keowee? I saw a post from gvl tri group on Facebook that some are going today- seems too cold yet but I'd like to go at least twice before chatt. Maybe in the next couple of weeks, If anyone is interested lmk.

Usually mid April at Hartwell. The recorded temp at Keowee is 52. That is too cold for me. 3-4 days of solid sunshine will warm the lake up to a decent temp, but I have no interest in suffering. I also don't think there is a big benefit to open water swimming. It is good to practice sighting and swimming straight but for technique work, it is better to do intervals in the pool. One or two OWS in late April is probably enough