Pickens County Y Race Team

winter training (Read 7 times)

Ok so the bikes are winterized and on the trainer.  What kind of component can I get on my bike/trainer that syncs to my garmin watch that will tell me cadence/power/mileage?  Or is that possible?

Also, Peter what the heck is this zwift thing you are doing?  Is that better than spinervals?

Lori

pschriver

I hope you didn't put the Cervelo in the trainer. Also make sure you use the Trainer Steel Skewer (QR)

I will start by saying: Trainer rides suck.10 minutes of monotenous spinning feels like an hour. I found I could speed up my perceived time by doing the Spinnervals. I also found that interval training really helped with with building my power. I also used Sufferfest which was OK but never quite as engulfing. I was one of the Beta testers for Zwift and was able to use it for free for about a year. It is now a paid service although I still get it free until the end of the year. It is essentially a video game where you ride with other riders. Some you may know (Tyler Farrar rode today) and many you don't. It is fairly realistic and does have a training plan (which I am using now). Today I joined the group ride and it was a blast. I have become so addicted (in a good, healthy way) I really look forward to riding every day. I even want to ride when I really shouldn't. I also would rather ride inside which is really odd. I also bought a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer to use with the "game". I really don't need another trainer but wanted one that would change the resistance to replicate climbs. The feature works great on Zwift.

To answer your original question you simply need a Garmin GCS-10. I was realatively sure I gave you one but if not, I have one sitting in the basement you can have. It will measure your speed, cadence and distance and now the algorithms for virtual power have been worked out, you can measure power. You can also use the device for Zwift, TrainerRoad, Golden Cheetah, etc

tweisner

I love you guys.  Yall are so great.

ok I have so many questions from those two post.  But I will start with:

What does it mean to winterize your bike?

- itri - 

pschriver

I love you guys.  Yall are so great.

ok I have so many questions from those two post.  But I will start with:

What does it mean to winterize your bike?

I think she just meant she decided to start riding indoors. You don't need to do anything special to your bike in winter.

Yes I meant putting my bike on the trainer and getting everything set up to ride inside lol. And no the cervelo isn't on the trainer. Do I need to use a different skewer w my road bike?

ok so Zwift is something you live stream online and ride w others?  Besides paying a fee what equipment do u need?

i have a Garmin 910 so will a gcs hook up with the 910?

Lori

pschriver

Yes I meant putting my bike on the trainer and getting everything set up to ride inside lol. And no the cervelo isn't on the trainer. Do I need to use a different skewer w my road bike? Your trainer came with a stainless skewer. Make sure you use it.

ok so Zwift is something you live stream online and ride w others? Yes. You download the program, set up an account and then ride with other people. I think you can get a free trial period.

Besides paying a fee what equipment do u need? Garmin GSC-10 is all you need other than your laptop.

i have a Garmin 910 so will a gcs hook up with the 910? Yes, it is the device that comes with the 910. They all use the Ant+ protocal

All my watch came with was the HR strap and the charge cord and a little ant plug in thing.

Lori

tweisner

Ha ok so I can winterize my bike!!

- itri - 

pschriver

All my watch came with was the HR strap and the charge cord and a little ant plug in thing.

The watch came in several different packages. Watch, watch with HR, watch with HR and GSC-10. I guess you got the watch with HR. I will try to remember to bring it sometime this week. Brent can Google how to install

on a different note, do you think this is a good plan for training for the mtns to main?  I used the beginner triathlete one before.  I thought I could change it up.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_12364

Lori

Is anyone doing any races on new years day? There are several that morning. I thought of doing Hair of the Dog.

Lori

Lori, I think that training plan looks pretty good.  I'm not much for sticking with plans, but I think if you did, you would be in excellent shape for that race.  2016 is going to be "shorter and faster" for me.  I will be doing mostly shorter stuff, trying to get my 5k and sprint tri times down a little.  my longest race will be olympic tri in march.  well, at least that's the plan for now.

have a great new year everyone!